PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Gold - Bandsaw Jewelry Box

barrysumpter
10th January 2001, 09:39 AM
I've just finished a vertical bandsaw jewelry box.

I was given a 400mm Length of 90mm x 90mm offcut of a Cypress Gold post. (Recently purchased.)

And had just finished setting up my recently aquired 14" bandsaw. Cheap in price and no features.

I've spent the last few weeks of woodworking time on setting it up and building a professional table jig for it. I found the table jig plans in the July 1999 edition of Popular Woodworking. Its a reprint
from the book The Ultimate Workshop Jig Book.

Anyway the Jewelry box came out much better than I expected. And the Cypress Gold looks great with Triton Oil. I was really taken by the grains. Especailly the bandsawed Jewelry Box drawers. I swear it looks like a piece of art.

Now I just happened to be in my local timber and hardware store and asked about the Cypress Gold.

I was told:
- premium choice of Cypress
- not kiln dried
- not a furniture grade wood
- subject to splitting and cracking

I really enjoyed making this box and really like how it looks.

Does anyone know if I'm likely to have further problems with this wood?

If i wanted to make another Jewelry Box to match it. And make it Horizontal instead of Vertical.

Would it be a mistake to use Cypress Gold again?

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 31 January 2001).]

Iain
10th January 2001, 09:48 AM
I too have a lot of cypress stored and sealed and I have found that it starts splitting as soon as it is cut (from the tree). I have sealed up the ends and after 4 years I pulled some out to make something and as soon as I started sawing it started splitting. However..........
After I had bandsawed some 3/4" stock and allowed it to sit for a while I foumnd I was able to cut around the split ends and have a usable piece of timber which has not caused me any grief. It appears to split for an inch or so and a trim seems to work OK. I don't know if this is the same Cypress that you have. I do know that it does retain the strong smell of cypress even when dry, not that I object to this.
Of course I don't know if these characteristics will be the same but hope it is of some help.

barrysumpter
11th January 2001, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Iain.

Anyone have any suggestions how to seal a completed project. I want to keep if from cracking and splitting further.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

barrysumpter
14th January 2001, 07:01 AM
Hi again,
I might have sorted this problem out.

I've decided to go ahead and use this Cypress Gold for the Scobie Blanket Box.
http://www.skillspublish.com.au/blanketchest.htm
I cut my pieces and immediately covered them with Triton Oil. Let stand for 15 mins and covered them again with Triton Oil. Let stand over night. And this seems to have considerably retarded the splitting and cracking.

I still can't believe how attractive this wood grain is!

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 14 January 2001).]

Corunetes
25th August 2002, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by barrysumpter:
[B]I've just finished a vertical bandsaw jewelry box.

Thanx for the pointer Barry, now if you could just tell me waht is meant by the term vertical bandsaw jewelry box..... i have to admit i'm a little perplexed by the term! http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/confused.gif

------------------
Catch ya later
Corunetes