PDA

View Full Version : Skewchigouge - the magical tool

Evanism
12th October 2015, 09:06 PM
Today I was asked to turn up a few "nans and pops" for a kids store.

I'm not so grand on the skew so I was pretty reluctant.... good enough to do big stuff and make nice spindles, but the actions of beads and coves still gives me bigger catches than Ebola.

So, out comes the skewchigouge for a bit of a blat and WOW.... what a tool. So smooth, so easy, so predictable. Really tight smooth curves, razor sharp lines and very easy to do the work I dread.

May I suggest if you get time, make one and give it a crack!

Pagie
13th October 2015, 08:28 PM
? What i it?

Evanism
13th October 2015, 09:42 PM
It finds hidden treasures in timber, like a perfectly placed smile on this 7" wooden doll :)

Here is some info about the skewchigouge - they are amazing. http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=190801

Im astounded more people dont use them.

Mobyturns
14th October 2015, 07:44 AM
I've been using the original profile Robert Sorby "Spindle Master" for years - a great tool for rolling small bead elements etc. but it has limitations. The "version" of the "skewchigouge" I have used was good but I have come to the conclusion that it is as valid as any other spindle turning tool and has almost as many vices as them too. Most of the DIY versions I have seen are profiled with a 150 or 200 mm grinder to create the radius of the upper curved face which I believe does not create a "good" tool profile, too long and "pointy."

The huge benefit of the round nose of both the "spindle master" & "skewchigouge" is that they minimize the risk of a catch with the corner of a standard skew when rolling beads or in making sharp Vee cuts etc. This is only because they are a little more forgiving with presentation angles - but you can still mess up detail & get catches!

The "skewchigouge" performs like a spindle detail gouge & has the benefits of the original "spindle masters" polished face, but also the added benefit of the solid cross section which minimizes tool vibration. It is still subject to the same issues of sharpening angles, honing etc that may improve performance on certain woods to the detriment of either harder or softer woods etc.

Its a valid tool. Experimenting with profile (i.e. radius of the upper curved face) sharpening, bevel angle is well worth it - http://www.crownhandtools.ltd.uk/Beecham%20skewchigouge.pdf but at the end of the day nothing accounts for good tool presentation, practice & developed skill with any tool.

Somehow I feel that our modern day spindle/detail gouges evolutionary path included an ancestor very similar to the "skewchigouge." :D

chuck1
15th October 2015, 08:45 PM
I was pleasantly surprised with the one I had a go with. Still like my skew and gouge.
Will add one when u get some good round bar tool steel.
I was toying with making one out of a valve stem from a motor.

Paul39
16th October 2015, 08:19 AM
I made a flat on top curved on the bottom tool from a auto lug wrench that was shaped like a screw driver for popping off the hub cap. It was drop forged and stays sharp for a while. Pretty good carbon steel. $3.00 at a junk store.

Evanism
16th October 2015, 07:03 PM
Tried to turn some end grain Easter eggs today with it.... Not so good. Bowl gouge did a better job :)

aldav
16th October 2015, 08:38 PM
Tried to turn some end grain Easter eggs today with it.... Not so good. Bowl gouge did a better job :)

Bloody hell Easter is getting earlier and earlier!! :oo:

Mobyturns
16th October 2015, 08:47 PM

How do you turn "side grain" Easter eggs? :?

pommyphil
16th October 2015, 09:16 PM
How do you turn "side grain" Easter eggs? :?

Now theres a challenge....

Evanism
17th October 2015, 11:59 AM
christ you blokes are cynical :)

The eggs I normally cut from timber so the length of the grain runs top to bottom. I can cut a 4 or 5 inch bit of wood and its easy to turn between centres/etc.... I use the method stolen from here: http://www.ttit.id.au/eggpage/eggmain.htm

I happened to clean up the shed over the last two days (terrible!) and found an ancient piece of pine... must be 50 years old. Since it was 50x40 and a few metres long, it looked like nothing but firewood or to the greenwaste.

So I cut sections as long as the widest dimension and put it between centres. Hard work.

The camera won't capture the chatoyance, but the timber is unreal.

As for eggs, they were just a test. I make these big balls for christmas.....

361690 361691

DaveTTC
18th October 2015, 07:38 AM
It finds hidden treasures in timber, like a perfectly placed smile on this 7" wooden doll :)

Here is some info about the skewchigouge - they are amazing. http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=190801

Im astounded more people dont use them.
This link took me to what looked like a home page with a picture of several chisels but too small to read on my phone

Love to see a pic of your chisel

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art