PDA

View Full Version : natural edge manitoba maple bowl

dennisk
13th October 2015, 03:22 AM
a bowl for my sister, who was bugging me because "you never have made me anything" . I warped like mad as I was turning it wet,so the I had to sand the bottom flat, so you are not going to see that, but the rest Im happy with. I really wanted to keep the branch inclusion in there,I like it but its not for everyone. C and C welcome.361476361477361478

Dalboy
13th October 2015, 04:27 AM
I like it. Did you use anything to help stabilise the branch piece from falling out as it dries

dennisk
13th October 2015, 05:11 AM
No, I have found with this wood, if you can get it off the lathe, get it sprayed, and let it go, it seems not to crack, sometimes the burl areas will go all lumpy like distressed leather. I like what it does, and if it goes crazy, sometimes its a lot of fun. Do you have it over there? It is Box Elder, for those who dont know. Was planted by the jillions on the prairie,as shelter belts, and it is a weed. But it is pretty, and I love to turn it , and its free.

artme
13th October 2015, 07:29 AM
Good looking and interesting result! I like!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

It seems to me that northern hemisphere timbers behave quite differently to our timbers.
I can only put that down to the fact that here the tough growing conditions that our trees
have evolved to cope with have a big bearing on the structure and nature of the timber.

dennisk
13th October 2015, 09:55 AM
Oh you mean like -45C to + 35C and conditions from drought to really wet. That would be the prairie. And temps from -40C to melting in 24 hours,that would also be the prairie. Its a weed and you know how weeds grow!