PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Cape Town

AdrianT
13th October 2015, 04:59 PM
Greetings from Cape Town, South Africa. My name is Adrian, I’m 33 and a mechanical design engineer. I’ve lived in various parts of South Africa but since 2008 have been living in Cape Town and to me, it’s pretty much the perfect place to live. I spent a great deal of my time outdoors, hiking, or windsurfing, riding waves on my bodyboard, taking photos, oh yes and then also working. (if I couldn’t live here I’d probably head to Perth for the windsurfing!)

I’ve been in and out (mostly in) the engineering world for 10 years now. From manufacturing valves, to cathode stripping machines, to large tanks, robotic welding, I designed conveyors for land based diamond mining, then a short spell on sub-sea crawlers and sonic drilling and now still with marine engineering designing winches etc. for vessels. When I wasn’t in engineering I tried running a kayaking shop with a mate but that resulted in a fair bit being learnt, but little money in the back pocket.

In this career path I have had two problems – I get bored very easily, and I think differently to others and am grown tired of working for someone else. I’m tired of sitting in front of a PC all day long designing in 3D. Not that I really dislike that, but I’d rather be doing a design in wood, and then building it myself. To me, working with wood provides a serious challenge as mistakes are not easily tolerated, very much unlike working with carbon steels, and there lies the allure.

My father died very unexpectedly last year November. It really hit me very hard and made me revaluate life, and what is important. I’m not happy in my work, I wish to quit engineering and begin my own woodworking business. I am by no means an expert carpenter, so hence I find myself here, looking forward to learning so much from the people here. I consider my skills beginner to intermediate.

I’ve built a few projects at home. My last one was my fish tank cabinet and my own design of a cantilevered hood which works really well. I can link to pictures if anyone is interested. It was made out of blackwood.

Anyway, looking forward to learning!

Cheers,
Adrian :D

crowie
13th October 2015, 07:15 PM
G'Day & Welcome to the Great Southern Land and to a top forum "Adrian".
There are good few members from South Africa and the rest of the world.....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork..
Cheers from On Top DownUnder, crowie

AdrianT
13th October 2015, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

My latest project that I completed last year:

http://adriantregoning.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/middeldeur_30au_22_e1-copy.jpg

https://adriantregoning.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/fs_09oct14_43_e1-copy.jpg

Keith_1
13th October 2015, 08:29 PM
Wecome to the Forum Adrian,

Hope you make many long lasting friendships with a great group of people.

Your fishtank looks tremendous

Well Done

Keith

derekcohen
14th October 2015, 01:50 AM
I used to surf The Corner in my young days, then windsurfed Blouberg and Muizenberg in the very early 80's.

That fishtank is Blackwood? I would have thought Kiaat. I spent yesterday stripping a coffee table from Cape Town that was predominantly a very dark wood, but not as even in colour as Blackwood. One piece was tan, like heartwood.

Cape Town is beautiful. We moved to Oz over 30years ago, but I continue to visit parents every year. I've always wondered what the woodworking situation is like there, since I have never had time to explore. I assumed most takes place around Stellenbosch. We have a nice table in Yellow wood and stink wood, a classic French Huguenot design. Your post creates many memories.

Story for you (and visit my website, link below): http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Commentary/APlanefromMatjiesfontein.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

old1955
14th October 2015, 12:52 PM
Welcome to the forum Adrian.

JJF
17th October 2015, 07:16 AM
Wecome to the Forum Adrian

Christos
21st October 2015, 08:52 AM
Welcome to the forum.