PDA

View Full Version : Tapering Table Legs on a Jointer

Glenn.Visca
15th October 2015, 02:03 PM
Is it just me ? or does this seem a little dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZTXvsrzbSQ

RoyG
15th October 2015, 04:09 PM
Glenn,
Apart from his working with the blade guard removed, which he mentions twice in the video, stating that the guard is removed only for video purposes, I don't see any big safety issues with the technique. The only thing in the video that I think could be changed to improve safety is to use an "L" style push stick (like the ones in this photo) in your right hand to improve control over the workpiece, and to ensure that an even down-force is maintained.

I've used both table saw tapering jigs, and this technique on the jointer, and I think that both techniques are safe, provided the right style of push sticks and the appropriate safety precautions are used. I prefer the jointer technique as it is a lot quicker and provides a sanding ready finish. The table saw taper jig technique sometimes leaves burn marks on the cut edge, which results in additional finishing work.

My limitation is the length of the Jointer tables. My Jet JPT-260 Jointer/Thicknesser combo machine has shorter jointer tables than a dedicated jointer, which limits it's use to tapering shorter legs. I do longer legs (e.g. Dining Table legs) on a taper jig on the table saw. Also the maximum depth of cut on my Jet Jointer/Thicknesser combo is about 4 and a bit mm.

Regards,

RoyG

double.d
15th October 2015, 04:42 PM
Yeah, a bit dangerous, complicated and time consuming if your jointer does not have that much drop. I have done this type of thing many times and always take most of the meat off on the table saw first then running it over the jointer to clean it up.

elanjacobs
15th October 2015, 06:15 PM
Yes, but the key word is "little"

There are certainly worse things you could be doing on a jointer and I'd definitely be using a push block like Roy mentioned instead of push sticks.
I prefer tapering on the table saw myself.

NCArcher
15th October 2015, 06:29 PM
I think that is a terrible idea. Very large cut and poor control of the workpiece. There are definitely better ways to do it. Think I'll stick to the table saw or even a hand saw and a plane.

Kuffy
15th October 2015, 06:56 PM
I have always lowered the top of the leg onto the cutter. This is how we were shown at TAFE. It does leave a bit of scalloping at the top, but a final smoothing pass gets rid of that in a flash. doing it my way i could get the same 20mm taper but instead of having to do it in only 2 10mm deep passes, i could do it in 3@6mm deep and 1@2mm deep.

i mostly taper my legs on the saw these days tho. sometimes I get lucky and get a usable offcut, but if not atleast the offcut is nice and compact rather than filling up my dust bags with airy shavings.

elanjacobs
15th October 2015, 06:58 PM
I have always lowered the top of the leg onto the cutter. This is how we were shown at TAFE. It does leave a bit of scalloping at the top, but a final smoothing pass gets rid of that in a flash.
That's how I was shown as well, quite possibly by the same teacher

Ironwood
15th October 2015, 09:01 PM
I didn't watch the utube video, but it can be done safely.

I tapered a set of legs on the jointer a few years ago, I find the table saw a better method, so that's how I always do mine now. A couple of swipes with a handplane cleans up the saw marks quickly and easily.

Glenn.Visca
15th October 2015, 09:24 PM
Interesting discussion ...

Not tried it, nor do I particularly intend to, but.

1. Depth of cut seems enormous. 3/8 I think he said. 10mm seems like a big bite to me.

2. As he lifts the piece on the 1st pass, you can hear the blades chatter as he lifts and pushes forwards slightly while the piece is in the air. Wouldn't think it would take much for a catch and loss of control.

3. In the second pass, I don't like the significant potential for rocking of the piece ...

But that's just me.

Been bitten by a machine ... Takes a poofteenth of a second. Then lots of pain and next thing you know you are lying at the door of Epworth operating rooms.

elanjacobs
15th October 2015, 09:32 PM
2. As he lifts the piece on the 1st pass, you can hear the blades chatter as he lifts and pushes forwards slightly while the piece is in the air. Wouldn't think it would take much for a catch and loss of control.

3. In the second pass, I don't like the significant potential for rocking of the piece ...

That's why I prefer the method Kuffy mentioned; always pushing into the cutter and always full contact with the tables.

orraloon
15th October 2015, 10:30 PM
Like all machine operations if you don't feel comfortable doing it then don't. I have to say I don't like the look of it. Not sure my old machine has anywhere near that depth of cut anyhow. Perhaps just as well. I have enough time to do things the safe way.
Regards
John

Kuffy
15th October 2015, 10:42 PM
1. Depth of cut seems enormous. 3/8 I think he said. 10mm seems like a big bite to me.

it is a big cut. you can hear the timber chatter against the infeed table as he starts the first cut while the timber is hanging over the infeed but hasnt reached the outfeed yet. generally you can make a much deeper pass than you normally would when tapering legs because you are always cutting down the grain. His initial pass has him cutting 10mm deep parallel to the grain, which allows the grains to explode, splinter and kick the piece back. apart from making a mess of the cut, each time the piece kicks back ~0.4mm you need to feed the timber back into the blade which now has full contact with the cut surface immediately, which in my experience just makes a mess even messier.

by cutting down the grain by several degrees, the knives slice the timber pretty much always unless you are using some incredibly figured timber. so instead of exploding the timber into fragments, it simply creates nice neat ~0.5mm slices. no kickback, no vibration.

AlexS
16th October 2015, 04:52 PM
Objectively, I think it's safe if you know what you're doing, but personally, I wouldn't do it because
Like all machine operations if you don't feel comfortable doing it then don't.It would be interesting to see him use that method with a bit of river red gum.
I always cut tapers on the bandsaw & tidy up with a hand plane.

fletty
16th October 2015, 05:59 PM
I use the thicknesser to taper legs most of the time because it also allows me to leave a shaped foot which is often a part of my design. I've not had any safety nor finish issues although, as commented above, I've not done it with gnarly hardwoods ... although I'm not likely to either?

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=113883&highlight=Fletty+taper

farawayfletty