PDA

View Full Version : Is cherry any good for turning?

snowyskiesau
17th October 2015, 12:53 PM
I have a couple of pieces of cherry that I'll be throwing out if it's of no use to anyone.
It came from a friends tree I cut down two years ago. It's had the ends painted with PVA and has been sitting under cover since then.
Large piece is about 250mm round.
Pick up from Port Huon or I can drop it off if between there and Hobart.

dai sensei
17th October 2015, 07:32 PM
Worth keeping. I'd take it but won't make it to Tassy for another year or two :-

snowyskiesau
17th October 2015, 08:15 PM
Thanks for that. I'll hang onto it in case a user here wants it.
If not perhaps the local men's shed can use it?

FenceFurniture
17th October 2015, 08:41 PM
If you put a price on it you'll get rid of it faster..............:D

aldav
17th October 2015, 08:44 PM
We have a pepper grinder that was turned from an ornamental cherry from our front yard. It's a lovely thing, my crappy photo doesn't do it justice. :no:361718

snowyskiesau
17th October 2015, 08:49 PM
If you put a price on it you'll get rid of it faster..............:D

Free with free (limited) delivery - can't beat that! :)
I'd just rather it found a home other than the local tip.

Christos
17th October 2015, 09:35 PM
Free with free (limited) delivery - can't beat that! :)
I'd just rather it found a home other than the local tip.

If you were local I would pick it up. Seems so much is said on this type of wood from the US perspective. Can not recall anyone turning it.

Now it seems that aldav had some in Albury.

Luke Maddux
17th October 2015, 10:56 PM
I recently made a table with it that involved a turned center spindle. It turns and sands on the lathe just as well as it planes and scrapes on the bench.

It truly is one of the world's great woods. I have nothing but positive things to say about it.

I hope someone puts it to use.

Good luck,
Luke

DaveTTC
18th October 2015, 07:08 AM
I have a mate it it the states that turns cherry all the time. Apparently it is very easy to work. Long overdue for a visit to tassie. Not been there since 91. Whoever ends up with it would love to see the finished product.

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Dalboy
18th October 2015, 07:29 AM
Anything like cherry here it turns great and takes a finish great as well. Anything like ours it will split very easy if not sealed even when sealed like your is it can still split.

Sturdee
18th October 2015, 10:50 AM
I'm interested in some of it, or depending on space in the car the lot. I'll be visiting Port Huon during the last week of November and call in if you can hold it until then.

Peter.

snowyskiesau
18th October 2015, 11:28 AM
I'm interested in some of it, or depending on space in the car the lot. I'll be visiting Port Huon during the last week of November and call in if you can hold it until then.

Peter.

It's yours! it's been sitting here for two years so another few weeks won't make a differ3ence.
Drop me a PM when you're nearby.

nalmo
24th October 2015, 11:44 AM
Managed to get most of a large tree some years back. By far the nicest timber I've turned. Cuts easily, sands smoothly and great appearance.
Made some very thin bowls I was especially pleased with.
Still got some roughed out blanks waiting to be finished in the future.

Phily
25th October 2015, 05:48 PM
I love turning cherry, definitely one of my favourites. I made a lovely bowl out of nearly dry timber a while back. A month or so later there was a huge "crack" that scared the K rap out of me - the bowl had split from centre to edge. I've put the rest of the stock to one side to dry thoroughly!