PDA

View Full Version : New Member

kayu
2nd August 2005, 07:09 PM
Hello,

Joined the forum 4 day's ago. So I liked to give some info about myself.

My wife and I moved to Bali 18 months ago ,to sort of retire.
First we were busy organising our house etc. Then I decided to take up woodworking again like I did in Holland.
Have a workshop build Bali style ie open pavillion nice and airy.

Started with some handtools and the few tools I took with me from Holland. Beeing not fully equiped I looked around for the big machines, tablesaw etc.

There are many toolshops around, so choosing was a bit hard. I finally bought an all -in-one. That is, tablesaw, planer/thicknesser, moulder and slotboring.

Chinese made, but very good quality.

The only thing missing is a drill-press and stationairy sander. I am afraid I have to do a lot of talking with my wife beforer I can by them.:)

I'm wondering if there are more members based in Bali/Indonesia.

By the time I have some projects done I will let you know, if anybody is interested offcourse.

Kayu

MajorPanic
2nd August 2005, 07:44 PM
Welcome Kayu!

We are always interested in project pictures!!
It's good to have another international member, there are members from all over the world on this forum, so you will plenty of different views!
I hope you have brought your sense of humor! ;) :D :D :D

knucklehead
2nd August 2005, 09:37 PM
Welcome Kayu.

I think you will find that people are interested in your story. So some photos would be great.

The mind boggles as to what will happen when a Dutch woodworker is influenced by the Balinese style.

journeyman Mick
2nd August 2005, 11:48 PM
Kayu,
U zijt welkom, wij zijn allemaal een beetje raar hier, maar niet gevaarlijk! :D
Sorry for any spelling/grammer mistakes, left the netherlands when I was five. ;)

Mick

boban
2nd August 2005, 11:53 PM
Kaju,

Welcome to the forum. I am another certainly interested in some pictures.

Out of interest, why was Bali your region of choice to retire? It certainly sounds very interesting.

Sturdee
3rd August 2005, 12:28 AM
Kayu,
U zijt welkom, wij zijn allemaal een beetje raar hier, maar niet gevaarlijk! :D
Sorry for any spelling/grammer mistakes, left the netherlands when I was five. ;)

Mick

Spreek voor jouw zelf Mick. Mischien ben ik niet gevaarlijk maar niet raar. :D

Welkom op deze forums Kayu.

Hetzelfde met mijn taal fouten , ik kwam hier van Amsterdam toen it 14 was.

Peter.

boban
3rd August 2005, 12:39 AM
Hollanders everywhere

daninjt
4th August 2005, 09:07 PM
Selamat Datang Pak Kayu!

I live in Jakarta, so there are at least 2 Indonesian residents on this board now.

I was in Bali yesterday. Seems to get more overcrowded and polluted every time I go there. Whereabouts on the island are you?

You can certainly get lots of interesting types of timber in Indo that you can't easily get elsewhere, almost all of it is green when you get it.

Lots of teak.

I could hear the chainsaws going at it in the national park yesterday, no doubt cutting up some of those old trees which fell down all by themselves! :eek:

All the best to you.

Dan

Clinton1
5th August 2005, 09:20 AM
Selamat Datang,

Your username is certainly apt!
What a shame that just over the strait that seperates Bali and Jawa is pretty good Teak plantation area. :) I've admired Bali design ever since I first saw it, so my first question is "what's your house look like?"

Welcome to the forum and from this cold Melbourne morning - have some red Papaya and a swim for me today.
Cheers,
Clinton

Dusty
5th August 2005, 04:12 PM
Hi, Kayu, welcome to the forum.

How's this! My mother-in-law is Indonesian. My father-in-law is Dutch. Which of course makes my wife Dutch/Indonesian.

And because of the Indonesian influence our whole house is decorated in the Balinese style, lots of dark, teak furniture, Indonesian Buddas here and there. Lots of tropical asian plants. It looks kinda cool.

Anyway, good luck with your woodworking and I'm sure you'll find some friends both here, on-line and at your new home.

By the way...Just go out and by the tools you want, your wife might complain for a while but she'll get over it....they all do. Eventually. ;)

kayu
5th August 2005, 08:00 PM
We have been to Bali many times to spent our holidays. We fell in love with the island and its people. So, when we had the chance to make our move we did not hesitate.
The change in climate is nice also. Sometimes in Holland in the wintertimes the tools frooze to my hands. Now sometimes to hot to handle.

Mick and Peter, nice to see Dutch language on this forum!

Dan do you think we are the "only" Indonesians on the forum?

Included some foto's of our house. Front and livingroom upstairs.

Already made some things nothing special just to get familiar with the machine.
Some gardenfurniture, Adirondack-style.
The bench is made from reclaimed ironwood. The chairs were made because the ones we bought fell apart. Bad mortises/gluiing. As you can see the number of clamps is not up to standard yet (zero;)).

The baskets on the machine are because of Tumpek Landep (celebration/blessing of machine, cars etc).

Kayu

kayu
5th August 2005, 08:03 PM
Allowed 5 foto's so here is the 6th

Ian007
5th August 2005, 08:33 PM
Welcome Kayu,

Nice stuff, I would worry if the rain could get in to/on to your machines?

Just a tip in photo six I can see the filler marks used to fill the nail/screw holes.
there is some filler stain on the timber is what im trying to say.

If you put your finish on before you use the filler, it will not stain the timber.
ie. you could put a first coat on of whatever your using then let that dry and then fill holes then apply the rest of your finish, no stain marks from filler.

Hope that makes sence

Cheers Ian :)

Stubchain
6th August 2005, 06:02 PM
Welcome Kayu, I have to ask a couple of questions, what football team do you support, (I mean football by the way, only foreigners, the one's who can't play the game, call it soccer).

The other question is does the humidity in Bali cause any problems with machinery rusting etc.

junkboy999
6th August 2005, 08:06 PM
Welcome Kayu

Man nice saw. Love the out side bench and the chairs. your shop is missitg a few things ?? Like walls, windows, and door :) but the great outdoors is nice

kayu
6th August 2005, 08:39 PM
Sorry Stubchain not a football fan.

Thanks for the tip about the filler Ian. Rain is no problem because I can lower curtains to keep the rain out. About the humidity, I clean and oil everything ona regulare base, works fine so far.

Luhill
17th July 2008, 07:36 PM
Kayu - can you help out with detailed plans for the construction of the typical balinese huts. I want to build one, 2.5m x 2.5m, etc.

Cheers Phil

Luhill
17th July 2008, 08:05 PM
Kayu

Seeing you're in the Island of the Gods, if there any chance you can obtain plans for the typical balinese huts. I'm thinking of building one, say 2.5m x 2.5m.

Thanks - Phil

wheelinround
18th July 2008, 09:56 AM
Kayu welcome to the forum what a great place to work out doors no sawdust to worry about breeze blows it away :D
Thanks for all he photo's including the Bonsia looks great did you do it?? We have a nuber of forumites into Bonsia.

Ray

artme
18th July 2008, 08:13 PM
Welcome mate. Great looking collection you have for yourself there.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
18th July 2008, 08:50 PM
Kayu
welcome to the forum
I just love the shed - paradise :2tsup:

kayu
18th July 2008, 08:53 PM
Hi guys,

This sure is an old thread kicked up by Phil! Thanks anyway for the warm welcome:U.

Phil do you mean by Balinese Hut a structure like on the attached photo? The name for something like this is Bale Bengong. We have one on the garage, nice to sit in the evening breeze and having a drink.

If you're building it yourself, it is not a very complicated construction. Sorry to say I have no drawings but I could take some pictures and maybe make a drawing in Sketchup.
Sometimes you see the roof made of alang-alang (grass), ours is made of so called Sirap (shingles made of Iron Wood).

To Ray: No I didn't do the bonsai, the gardener did:D

Cheers,

Kayu