PDA

View Full Version : GMC Lathe

smidsy
2nd August 2005, 10:55 PM
Hei Guys,
I was given one of these a while back and have finally decided to stand the head on its end, mount a table on top and turn it in to a drum sander using a jacobs chuck mounted drum sander.

The problem is that these lathes don't have a morse taper, anyone know how I mount a chuck in the thing?
Cheers
Paul

Stuart
2nd August 2005, 11:10 PM
You can get the $35 4 jaw chuck from bunnies. I've mounted a reasonable quality chuck in this one (couldn't be bothered dealing with the non-standard thread size), which has made it quite versatile as a lathe (granted very underpowered etc etc.)

The lathe definitely has problems, but no more than any other $89 tool doing the job that $3000 + tools are also doing. I'll upgrade one day, when the finances are a bit easier, and I have time to make use of it.

bdar
2nd August 2005, 11:17 PM
Hi Paul,

Don't know if this will help, two ways I think you could get around the problem is see someone with a metal lathe that could spin a round block an thread the end for the head stock of the GMC and turn a morse taper in the other end. As for size maybe 3" dia by 5" long to allow for the taper. Or you could do a similar thing with a piece of hard wood attatched to the face plate that came with the lathe. Have an old Chevron lathe head always wondered what i could do with it. Thanks for the idea Paul.

Cheers

Darren :D