PDA

View Full Version : Selling turned items at markets

Wood Collector
29th October 2015, 09:55 AM
I was just wondering what rules cover wood turners and woodworker that want to sell some of their turned and non-turned items at weekend markets that are once a month? I was also wondering what items do you find that are more popular than others. Mods feel free to move this if it is not in the right forum.
Cheers WC

Toymaker Len
29th October 2015, 01:30 PM
Most markets require public risk insurance. You can get this by joining the Victorian Woodworkers Association. Small items like pens, tops, bowls etc all sell well at markets. The better made they are the better they will sell.Avoid bigger things like outdoor furniture unless you are selling them really well as they are a pain to transport and set-up

Wood Collector
29th October 2015, 02:01 PM
Okay, thanks for that. I wasn't sure if you needed to be a registered business or not to do market stuff but the VWA website has provided me with some good information.

Kuffy
29th October 2015, 02:12 PM
I have been looking into selling bits n pieces at markets. Boxes, cutting boards etc, nothing big like coffee tables or bedside tables. I havent seen anything stating I need to have public risk insurance. The way I have read a few of the local markets rules are "show up in the morning and you can have a space if there is space for the princely sum of approximately $30".

artful bodger
29th October 2015, 06:06 PM
Hi Wood Collector.
Personally I would not bother with insurance for a market, unless you are selling really dangerous woodturnings. Or maybe if you have some sort of tent over your wares that might get blown away in a storm and injure some one.
We have a big weekly market down here in Hobart (Salamanca Market) and there are a few woodcraft stalls there each week.
Most of the vendors buy their stuff off retired guys who are happy to sell their stuff dirt cheap to the vendors who in turn put a mark up on it to on sell.
There is one bloke who makes really nice well made and well finished bowls who seems to do okay. He keeps coming back so I assume he is doing ok.
I would say generally that people go to a market looking for a bargain and to haggle for a better deal. So if you are making small cheap items you will get more sales than if you were trying to sell masterpieces. If you have got really involved high quality pieces you want to sell then a market can be devastating to ones morale, you are better off selling through a gallery. Nothing worse than sitting all day through a market and selling diddley squat.

RedShirtGuy
29th October 2015, 07:02 PM
I'm gearing up for my first ever stall at Ballarat's Springfest on Nov 29. Huge event and pretty scary.

My thoughts were to have mostly small things (frames, simple boxes etc) that can be easily carried around by customers while they walk the whole 6km stretch of stalls on the day.

But I'm also planning to have a few bigger pieces like coffee tables, bench seats, and hopefully a dirty great big outdoor slab bench to put my wares on instead of cruddy trestle tables. Those items would also be for sale (w/delivery later), but primarily they're there as "show off" furniture pieces in the hope of generating some interest (and customers) for bigger and better things than just knick-knacks.

Oh, and I'm required to buy into Rotary's (the organisers) public liability insurance with $20. It's only a little annoying but it's better than being sued by some greedy idiot that tripped over a splinter.

Arron
29th October 2015, 07:24 PM
I would say generally that people go to a market looking for a bargain and to haggle for a better deal. So if you are making small cheap items you will get more sales than if you were trying to sell masterpieces. If you have got really involved high quality pieces you want to sell then a market can be devastating to ones morale, you are better off selling through a gallery. Nothing worse than sitting all day through a market and selling diddley squat.

This statement is 100% correct.

I'd also add don't do markets unless you enjoy the whole banter/talking to people thing. There is nothing worse then grumpy, aloof or know-it-all market stall owners and they repel people like the plague.

Cheers
Arron

Simplicity
29th October 2015, 07:31 PM
Some good advice here
Me and Sally are considering trying some markets in the near future

Rod Gilbert
29th October 2015, 07:49 PM
From my limited experience at selling at markets you will sell small low cost items but you will get a lot of interest in larger pieces that you probably won't sell at the market but you will get a fair amount of commissions for work for larger pieces that people can see the standard of quality that you put into you're work that is on display.
Regards Rod.

Wood Collector
29th October 2015, 07:52 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. The main things that I would sell are bowls, chopping boards, pens and the odd box every now and then. I assume that all items would need care instructions and a disclaimer saying that if the instructions are not followed that you are not responsible for any damages that may occur. Cheers WC

BobL
29th October 2015, 08:28 PM
I'd also add don't do markets unless you enjoy the whole banter/talking to people thing. There is nothing worse then grumpy, aloof or know-it-all market stall owners and they repel people like the plague.

That's one of the reasons why I haven't been attracted to markets, but the main one is I get bored making multiples of the same thing. I like making the one or two of something as prototypes and maybe one or two more, but after that I move onto something else, often completely different project. I have respect for craftspeople who can churn out a repeatable quality product but unfortunately that is not on my fun list.

artful bodger
29th October 2015, 09:19 PM
Oh, and I'm required to buy into Rotary's (the organisers) public liability insurance with $20. It's only a little annoying but it's better than being sued by some greedy idiot that tripped over a splinter.
$20 a day eh? I smell a rat. What other of your insurance policies cost $20 a day? Wouldn't mind betting the organisers are charged $2 a day per stall or thereabouts.
Anyway,Rotary are meant to be good meaning folk, and not wanting to tip a bucket of icy water on your market day. Hopefully you will have a sellout with lots of follow up orders and no one trips over a splinter!.

dai sensei
29th October 2015, 09:32 PM
Personally I would not bother with insurance for a market...

ALL the markets up this way either demand you have insurance, they actually won't let you set up without proof, or say you must pay for their insurance.

artful bodger
29th October 2015, 09:52 PM
Just goes to show how litigious things have got.
You need insurance for selling chopping boards etc. Crazy.

RedShirtGuy
29th October 2015, 10:23 PM
$20 a day eh?
Actually, that's a very interesting point. There are over 500 stalls as well as jumpy castles, food, activites, rides, etc and if every stall requires that $20 for insurance...yeh...it don't add up.

Given that my mum single-handedly manages all the stalls I'll ask her about it tomorrow and clarify for y'all. (She doesn't set the policies though.)

Certainly Rotary do very many great things locally, nationally and internationally, and Springfest (as well as the annual Swap Meet) are probably the two biggest multi-day local events they run. Springfest generates about 25,000 people, and the Swap Meet...gawd....it's MASSIVE!!!

I get that they have to turn a profit from these events so that they can fund and sponsor other projects and I'd hate to bad mouth them...which I'm certainly NOT doing...but yeh...the insurance cost is an interesting one.

To be continued...

RedShirtGuy
29th October 2015, 11:02 PM
Speak of the devil...mum just came into the office so I asked her about it.

(Yes...I'm 40 and stuck living with my parentshttp://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/blush-anim-cl.gifhttp://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/anoyd.gif...hehe...waaaaaaahhh :C:C:C)

For Springfest, insurance is a requirement or you can't run a stall. The $20 for Rotary insurance is only for those that don't have their own cover. So, if I still had my handyman $1m policy which was in the vicinity of $360p/a I would be fine, but as I don't, the $20 for one day on a $10-20m policy now sits fine with me.

I know the number of stall holders who have gone in with the Rotary insurance and I know what the very minimal profit from each contribution is. I don't want to divulge that information, but the total amount and the way it is all used is quite kosher and you'll just have to trust me.

BTW: Would you like to buy this bridge? :roflmao:

If this was a weekly event...yeh, I'd be getting up in their face about it...but for only ONE...EPIC...day in the year, it's worth it...just in case. AFAIK there have been no claims made against Rotary yet.

And if any of you are brave enough to come to the event, make sure you come up and say hi to me. I love meeting other forumites. I'll be the one flogging off outdoor framed panels made from rescued fence palings, 5x7/6x4 and 11x14/10x12 frames in various timbers and other things. I'll do my best to find a nice new red shirt to wear just for the day incase y'all need an extra hint :2tsup:

And hey...good luck to all you folks who venture out in public and run a stall...whenever or wherever. It's got to be hard work being all polite and stuff :)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Also, sorry for hijacking the OP and original question. I guess it goes towards an answer, but it got a bit specific.
Carry on and get your gear out there Collector :2tsup:

issatree
30th October 2015, 12:14 AM
Hi to all you Sellers,
I have just started to go to this one Market, that I have just found out about.
1st. Fri. in the Month, 4.45pm. - 8pm. $10 a Table, & No Insurance needed.
Did reasonable the 1st. night, & only 1/2 as good the 2nd.
Not enough S/Holders for Nov. but will give Dec. a good go.
One word on selling, You should be standing at all times & sell your wares, & greet everyone who comes near your Table. You have to carry on like a Magpie.
My Mouth works all the time
Do this & see the difference, in your Takings.
To many S/Holders sit on their Backsides, & expect there wares to sell themselves.
Justmy2senceworth.

RedShirtGuy
30th October 2015, 12:27 AM
Damn straight issa.

When I've gone to markets as a customer I've felt like I was ignored by the stall holders who just sat on their butts, looked at me, and didn't utter a word. Even just a simple and genuine "g'day" with a smile makes all the difference...and standing up is a big thing for me.

Some folks I've stood and talked with for 10 minutes(while they weren't serving others) about their products and have felt so fantastic that even though I might not have purchased on the day, I've found out when and where they go so that I might buy from them later.

Being friendly and a little forthcoming, without being overbearing, is a HUGE factor to making people comfortable and happy to buy your things.

The psychology of marketing is a powerful thing...even if it is hidden under a leather hat and flannelette shirt :U