PDA

View Full Version : Lao bowls

pommyphil
2nd November 2015, 07:23 AM
Just back from Thailand and Lao. In Thailand you see very few turned wooden bowls for sale,

but in Luang Prabang, Lao. Lots of shops and market stalls selling bowls for tourists.

They all look to be made in the same workshop and show no sign of how they were made,
lots of smooth bottoms. I will not mention the prices 362546362547

Phil

Wood Collector
2nd November 2015, 06:53 PM
I think that they would have a scrap piece of wood that is glued to the blank and then turned off.

Paul39
3rd November 2015, 07:56 AM
Phil,

Some in the flat display look to be turned wet and then left to curl as they will. Is that so?

Are the unmentionable prices high or low?

pommyphil
3rd November 2015, 12:42 PM
Paul. Prices were less than we would pay for blanks ! And that's first offer price, haggling in expected. There was no sign of drying distortion. Some had wide "wavy" rims that would need somthing like a Rose engine, or hand carving

Wood Collector. They all had a similar "feel" all from the same stable. My theory is a fairly modern, labour intensive, factory with Vacume chucks.Lots of aid money flows into Lao to try to stop the hill tribes growing opium, whatever

survives the Kleptocracy goes to village projects to keep them from growing and smoking O, The bowls all had the same finish, were a bit clunky and too thick in the base, and probably oversanded, not a crisp edge anywhere.But they

would sell like hotcakes on a market stall in AU, some lovely wood. Phil

Christos
5th November 2015, 03:26 PM
I often wondered about other countries making wooden items.

Really nice to see.

Lumber Bunker
7th November 2015, 12:12 AM
This might give some insight?

https://youtu.be/HX3Vcp5RkIA