PDA

View Full Version : Help with shed.

Beaton
3rd August 2005, 05:05 PM
G'day all couple of questions, can anyone suggest a good shed building company in perth, looking to build about a 6m x 6m shed. Does the shed builder organise everything ie slab, council aproval enginers drawing and the likes any replys would be great.

kiwigeo
4th August 2005, 01:21 AM
G'day all couple of questions, can anyone suggest a good shed building company in perth, looking to build about a 6m x 6m shed. Does the shed builder organise everything ie slab, council aproval enginers drawing and the likes any replys would be great.
Not in Perth but live in Adelaide. How much do you want to spend and what sort of construction do you want? If youre just after a metal shell over steel frame shed on a concrete floor then there are quite a few shed companies around that will do the job from start to go including handling council approval etc.

If cost isnt an issue then you can do the rich b****rd thing like I did and get a garage and workshop custom designed by a building designer and erected by builders. For the record I ended up with a 6 x 9m garage with a 6 x 3m workshop attached for $50,000. Construction is rendered harditex over timber frame and both garage and workshop are fully lined and insulated. Sounds a bit excessive but I dont have kids and since I spend half my life in the workshop it has to be reasonably comfortable.

Beaton
5th August 2005, 04:07 PM
i got a quote the other day for a 6x6 shed looked solid. the kit was $5255 licence fees 135 delivery 100 concrete 1150 labour 760 and good old gst 730. Littl bit more that i thought but looked very solid and well constructed.

Stylesy
5th August 2005, 06:20 PM
Beaton,

Can't really suggest a specific shed builder to go with, but just keep in mind your rights in this type of thing. Because the work's more than $6k, they're bound to a 6.5% maximum deposit - don't fall for anything more than that. It's always better to have that money in your pocket than theirs should things go bad.

Also, might be worth checking to see whether you can do the licence fees yourself - minimum fee is around $40, which is what your value should work out close to. Written contract in place before start as well - have seen too many people stung by patio and pergola businesses over here.

rodm
5th August 2005, 11:35 PM
Modular used to make good sheds but I don't know if they are still around.
Highline make a good shed as well. Be very careful as there have been a few shed and patio companies taking deposits and closing their doors over here.
Pay a bit extra and get some extra height in the walls. It really helps if you are a woodworker as you won't be hitting the roof as often. Also keeps the heat down a bit especially if you are having a few clear sheets put in.
You might have a bit of site work to do and electrics will dent the pocket as well.

stevepay
6th August 2005, 02:24 AM
Just a bit of advise on who not to use :mad: , from bitter personal experience. I went with Heritage because they were one of the cheapest ( always a risk!) they built a 6x6 (approx) double garage with roller door for me at the back of my property and I have never really been happy :( . I suppose some would say you get what you pay for and they would be right, I went with a large firm that was cheap on price and recieved poor service. they took close to 8 months to complete it! and I had to have them back several times to fix mistakes. the end product was ok but the service let them down.

as far as concrete most will have contractors who they recomend to do their work for them or you can organise your own ( I did and that was one more part that went wrong :eek: ) I just couldn't win ! the firm I used and this is not a joke was go-hard concrete :D and again service was poor. the construction firm also lodged all documents with the council for me ( for a price) because I didn't have the time to do this myself.

one thing I did do right was to install one single large door instead of 2 smaller ones as suggested by the company, the middle pillar will be a pain and it will limit access to the garage, also B&D motors are excellent for your roller door and I am very happy with them :) ( make sure you get a motor rated to the size of your door)

I guess the moral of this sad tale is don't go for the biggest or the cheapest as you don't always get the best deal afterall, go for a smaller contractor who can give you personal service and who can show you examples of previous work and who will also back up his work.

even if it costs you a bit more at least you'll be happy.

good luck.