PDA

View Full Version : Wadkin CQ Drop Saw

woodlogic
3rd November 2015, 10:25 PM
Hi Folks,

A few months ago I acquired a Wadkin CQ drop saw. What captured my interest in the machine was the fact that I had not previously come across any similar drop saw models. As many of you could appreciate there are many Wadkin Radial Arm Saws, but this was the first drop saw I've seen. So over the past few weeks I've stripped the machine and completed some maintenance work. I haven't got any plans to remove the original paint, but so far it's a beautiful little saw.

Now what has me curious about the saw are a few things. Firstly, the back fence/rest that runs along the new Vic Ash veneered ply table has a number of screw holes. I'm assuming there may have been another fence component that was used to adjust the squareness of the cut? If anyone has any old catalogues with pictures of this model that would be greatly appreciated.

Secondly, at the bottom of the saw there is a large purpose built casting gap (see picture 8). It appears that there may have been a foot lever, similar to that of the LM borer foot lever (as seen in picture 9)?

Finally, this machine is cast aluminium, not cast iron. Does anyone have any info on the cast aluminium production of Wadkin and the history/reasoning behind the move - I'm guessing a relationship with the war perhaps?

Regards,
Raymond.

jcge
4th November 2015, 09:12 AM
Sorry Raymond I cant help with any info, but a lovely little saw you have there!! (little by Wadkin standards)

Regards,
John

camoz
4th November 2015, 02:18 PM
Hi Raymond,

Congratulations on acquiring this Snipper Cross Cut saw.

There was not originally a sacrificial fence attached to the front, but the table top was originally rebated to sit over the protruding angle and up against the fence (if that makes sense).

The holes on the fence face were to secure the optional cut off guide bar (basically a piece of flat bar that sat at the back of the fence, and had flip down stops).

There was a foot pedal (looks like you probably have the mechanism to operate and just need to add a pedal)? The carriage should be counterbalanced (with springs), and be cushioned on the return stroke.

The saw is circa 1950. As for the Aluminium, not sure I've heard a definitive answer, but shortages in iron is a major theory.

Cheers,

Camo

Vann
29th March 2016, 06:56 PM
Finally, this machine is cast aluminium, not cast iron. Does anyone have any info on the cast aluminium production of Wadkin and the history/reasoning behind the move - I'm guessing a relationship with the war perhaps?Hi Raymond. Nice to have another piece of Wadkin :cool:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest the change to aluminium was a "modernising" (or cost cutting), and had nothing to do with the war.

The only reasoning I have to justify this suggestion is the Wadkin PK dimension saw changes. Wadkin changed to aluminium for the handwheels, blade flask, and overload door - somewhere between 1948 and 1950 - well after the war was over. All through the war they stuck with cast iron.

Cheers, Vann.

Bushmiller
29th March 2016, 07:56 PM
Raymond

Very nice saw. Wadkin really did make nice gear

Regards
Paul

L.S.Barker1970
31st March 2016, 09:33 PM
Nice saw Raymond
I have catalog cuts of a wadkin CL not the CQ.
The CL was the earlier model I think, the cuts I have are from the 1930's
I'm not sure how old your saw is?, perhaps some one more versed in wadkin serial numbers may be able to shed some light on this.
I'm wondering also about the use of alloy main frames, I'm not convinced that it had something to do with the war effort as much as firms such as bursgreen had been pushing more light weight fabricated sheet metal machines on the market place and alloy parts could of been wadkins response to this.
Glad to hear your leaving it in original condition, its looks great.
Thanks for showing !

Melbourne Matty

Vann
1st April 2016, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure how old your saw is?, perhaps some one more versed in wadkin serial numbers may be able to shed some light on this.This machine looks to be CQ 237 - test #37727. If Mark's (wallace of CWW & UKworkshop forums) dating list is correct, Wadkin carried out tests #35392 to #38492 in 1950 - making this a late 1950 built machine.

Cheers, Vann.