PDA

View Full Version : once again, Carbatec -- my CTJ 350 has a hollow fence

P.W.H.
6th November 2015, 08:19 PM
As the title says. When I put my engineering square up against the fence, the top and bottom of the fence
are touching the square, but the centre of the fence appears hollow. There's a fair amount of light showing.
I've lost my feeler gauge in the mists of time, so I can't quote numbers with any confidence.

How is yours? Perfectly flat, or showing up like (_ this?

-P.

Dazm
7th November 2015, 03:50 AM
Seems to be the quality of a lot of things from Carbatec. My table saw is a total lemon, service and support from Carbatec is non existent. Won't be buying from them again.

P.W.H.
10th November 2015, 10:39 PM
I went and got a new feeler gauge sent out.

On the infeed table side, at the end the fence is hollow by 0.05mm in the centre of the fence.
On the outfeed table side, at the end of the fence, it's hollow by 0.15mm in the centre of the fence.
Infeed table, close to the knives, it is out by 0.10mm.

It looks worse than the numbers indicate. Trying to get anything taller than 100mm square won't be questionable,
but I'm wondering about trying to get, say, a 40mmx40mm stick square all 'round. The math to work out
by how many degrees it would deviate is a little beyond me without some serious study.

I'm heading to Auckland some time in the next fortnight. I will see what the guys at Carbatec have to offer.

Kuffy
10th November 2015, 11:05 PM
if i use the height of the fence to be 100mm (i dont know how high it actually is). Using your max 0.15 hollow. Squaring a 40x40 stick will actually be squared to 90.1719 degrees instead of 90 degrees 'if' the fence was set square over the entire height of fence.

Yanis
11th November 2015, 11:10 AM
Even worse is that you will have a twist on the side if you are using the fence as a reference. The change in gap is 0.1mm which means that it will twist by 0.1mm. So for example if your wood is 50mm square and your fence is 100mm high then the second face will have a 0.1mm twist.that could be annoying.

John

Yanis
12th November 2015, 01:26 PM
Also, I have the CTJ 350 (X retro fitted) jointer, will check and see how mine looks.

John

P.W.H.
13th November 2015, 03:53 PM
As it happens I am headed to Auckland for a few days tomorrow; I spoke to the boss at Carbatec there and I'll be taking my fence with me.
I have more or less been promised that either it will be sent to an engineer for re-grinding, or I'll walk away with one from the shop that's flat.

We shall see on Monday/Tuesday.

P.W.H.
19th November 2015, 09:04 PM
The news is good, Carbatec Auckland replaced my hollow fence with the one from their display model, after we had a bit of a peek at both.
That one is not 100% flat either, but a hell of a lot closer than mine was. Three cheers for the kindly manager who really does want to
make his customers come back. :D

In fact, I bought a CTJ 381 and a Jet Vortex dusty and brought them home, all's assembled, set up, and working beautifully. Now I just
need to flick my old Electra Beckum over-and-under and the economy 650W chip collector I previously had on my bandsaw.

Been making a lot of sawdust: work is afoot on replacing my old two narrow assembly tables with a new one with a 7'x4' stressed panel top.