PDA

View Full Version : Having problem with mont blanc style pen kit !

tonysa
3rd August 2005, 10:07 PM
i purchased some mont blanc style pen kits at friday's show, and supposedly the mont blanc bushes for my mandrel

The bush kit included three bushes, (1) 9mm o/d, (2) 10.35mm o/d with the third having different o/d each end being 10.35mm and 11.35mm

The problem I have is with the pen top section ring. This is bevelled at one end which I assume is the end of the cap section and flat on the other which must butt up to the turned wood on the brass tube. of the top section But none of the bush diameters match the ring diameter (13mm)

So do I sneak up on the correct diameter when turning the pen or am I missing the point somewhere ?

any ideas ?

cheers
tony

bdar
3rd August 2005, 11:43 PM
Hi Tony,

The bushes caught me the first time I used them as well. I don't know if they are still sold through Carb-a-tec but they had the old style Mount Blanc bushings which were the same diameter as the center band. A great instruction sheet on turning Mount Blancs is at http://www.penmakingsupplies.com (http://www.penmakingsupplies.com/) and it shows the center band on the middle bushing. I will be in Brisbane at Carb-a-tec next week so I will check out if they still sell the old one. The Pen Making Supplies call their Mount Blanc's, Designer Twist, Ball Point Pens.

Cheers

Darren :)

tonysa
4th August 2005, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the heads up on that one Darren, the web site was just what I needed. The Designer Twist pen has all the info.
Didn't figure on making a tenon but it'll be worth it.
You'd think they'd include instructions with the kits, then again I should have looked and asked.
Thanks once again.
I'll post some pics when they're complete.
Cheers
Tony

bdar
4th August 2005, 12:47 AM
No worries Tony, glad to help. I have always turned a tenon on my Mount Blancs, about 2mm but it seems that they turn their tenon that it will be flush to the end of the center band. I will have to try their method with some Mount Blancs that I got from GPW the other day. Can't wait to see the pics

Cheers

Darren