PDA

View Full Version : Adelaide meet and greet

ndru
3rd August 2005, 10:18 PM
In an earlier thread I suggested a social group meeting of South Australian forum members.

Having suggested the event I guess it makes me the coordinator. :eek:

I am open to suggestions, but I'm aiming to keep it:
- informal and relaxed
- somewhere central in Adelaide
- perhaps with a theme
- on a weekend

Depending on numbers attending, my idea was to run a sausage sizzle with BYO drinks and a chair, in or around someone's workshop/garage.

I discussed the idea with SWMBO and she was OK with of holding it our place, especially the weekend of the 10th as she and young ndru are visiting interstate that weekend. We have a fair bit of room and there is plenty of parking space nearby, although my "workshop" is nothing particularly interesting at this stage. Perhaps it could be a bit of "show and tell" as well, where people bring along their favourite hand tools, small projects, photos, etc to chat with others about.

However, I think if it ended up being greater than 20 people it would be too much for me. I could shelter about 20 people in my garage and under the carport, but it would be no good during a typical Adelaide winter day and may have to wait until Spring.

Alternatively, we may be able to approach a local retailer (eg Mik, Leda, etc) and convince them to provide their location, possibly with a product demo or two. I know that Gabbetts are throwing such an event this weekend.

Any thoughts???

ozwinner
3rd August 2005, 10:26 PM
I think if it ended up being greater than 20 people it would be too much for me.
20 people!! :eek:

Youll be lucky to get 4 or 5. :D
I, and others know that theres plenty of wind on this forum, but not many ppl turn up.

Al :)

ndru
3rd August 2005, 10:32 PM
20 people!! :eek:

Youll be lucky to get 4 or 5. :D
I, and others know that theres plenty of wind on this forum, but not many ppl turn up.

Al :)
That's fine - I'd like to keep it smaller. I just don't want to end up with 5 kg of snags sitting in the sun for 3 people.

Al - our avatars really must catch up for a cuppa one day. :D

Ian007
3rd August 2005, 10:47 PM
Depending on numbers attending, my idea was to run a sausage sizzle with BYO drinks and a chair, in or around someone's workshop/garage.

especially the weekend of the 10th

that would be the 10th of September then?

Ill be there!

Cheers Ian

PS. Address details should be kept quiet for security reasons.

zenwood
3rd August 2005, 11:17 PM
I'll be there. Suggest Studley be the official photographer. I like the idea of a show and tell.

BTW: Gabbets? Never heard of 'em....?

Ian007
3rd August 2005, 11:50 PM
I'll be there. Suggest Studley be the official photographer. I like the idea of a show and tell.

BTW: Gabbets? Never heard of 'em....?

thats cos you have been more in too the dark side and they sell very big expensive machines at regency park

TrevorOwen
4th August 2005, 12:04 AM
Andrew

Unless there is something I don't know about I will gladly be there.

Trevor

fxst
4th August 2005, 01:09 AM
SA dont stop at Gepps cross....how about truly central and neet at harry's in Pirie :D or Burra?
Pete

zenwood
4th August 2005, 01:10 AM
thats cos you have been more in too the dark side That'd be it. <crawls back="" under="" rock="">:D [crawls back under rock]
</crawls>

zenwood
4th August 2005, 01:13 AM
SA dont stop at Gepps cross....how about truly central and neet at harry's in Pirie :D or Burra?
Pete Centre of gravity m8. ;):)

Studley 2436
4th August 2005, 01:17 AM
is that the 10th of sept? I'd love to be there have to check what I am doing saturdays in september are busy for wedding photographers all going well! Actually I have a wedding around the first or second sunday in sept, late afternoon affair in the hills.

Talking photography I picked up a new lens recently. That is the beast that Drew talked about earlier. Did my duty and did some tests shots using a broadsheet stock listing. Very very sharp image edge to edge.

Studley

Studley 2436
4th August 2005, 01:19 AM
Just further ndru post your address via private messages to those who want to come. Tell them there is free beer that will get them out. Don't want your addy up on a public board

Studley

Harry72
4th August 2005, 01:35 AM
Depending on my work I may be able to come around to meet everyone.(wee bit of a drive tho...)

zenwood
4th August 2005, 01:38 AM
Depending on my work I may be able to come around to meet everyone.(wee bit of a drive tho...) I'll shout ya one. That's make it worthwhile, wouldn't it?

Studley 2436
4th August 2005, 09:48 AM
No point shouting Harry a beer. You will have to shout him a bottle of Ubeaut instead.

Studley

Gumby
4th August 2005, 10:06 AM
PS. Address details should be kept quiet for security reasons.

I'm trying to think of a group who'd bother gate crashing a Woodworkers BBQ ? Maybe some 70+ grannies on motor bikes after a few likely lads and a good time around the jointer :D

ndru
4th August 2005, 10:39 AM
Sorry, that was a typo. I meant to say the weekend of the 13th of August, but I don't have any probs with 10 Sep. I think that would give everyone more time to fit it into their diary.

I'm on leave during the weeks of 19 to 30, so it would be a bit easier for me to organise my place for an event on either 24 or 25 Sep instead. The weather might be a bit better by then, too. Is everyone OK with that date instead???

So far I count:
Tankstand
Zenwood
Ian007
Javali (I'm keen to talk to you about your great workbench)
Trevor Owen
Studley
Himzol
Kiwigeo (if he's not offshore that weekend)
Harry72 if he can make it to Adelaide

Sounds like a good number so far. Anyone else???

I'll contact sbranded soon as well to see if he is interested.

I'm happy to lay out the snags, bread, onions, sauce etc if others bring chairs and drinks and perhaps something to chat about.

ndru
4th August 2005, 10:42 AM
Just further ndru post your address via private messages to those who want to come. Tell them there is free beer that will get them out. Don't want your addy up on a public board

Studley

Will do, once we get a bit closer to the day and a final guest list.

Cheers :D

zenwood
4th August 2005, 11:10 AM
I'm happy with 13 Aug or 10 Sept. I'd prefer to avoid 24/25 Sept.

zenwood
4th August 2005, 11:16 AM
I'm trying to think of a group who'd bother gate crashing a Woodworkers BBQ ? Maybe some 70+ grannies on motor bikes after a few likely lads and a good time around the jointer :D Dunno, Gumby. What if someone like Otilia turns up?

Studley 2436
4th August 2005, 11:23 AM
13th sounds really good to me too Ndru

Studley

Gumby
4th August 2005, 01:49 PM
Trevor Owen

Don't let him in unless he uses his proper name :D :D

The others on that list seem fine to me. :D

javali
4th August 2005, 02:13 PM
13th sounds good to me. I can probably make it on September too.

Studley 2436
4th August 2005, 02:27 PM
Has anyone given Tikki a wake up to be there. Tankstand will be lonely without her!

Studley

Ian007
4th August 2005, 07:47 PM
why not the 13th this month and then the 10th next month at someone elses place?? :D

Cheers Ian :)

himzol
4th August 2005, 08:24 PM
Well the 13th could be tricky, going to Melbourne for the week, however I'll try. As for the 10th of September, Nothing on the agenda so far so I shouldn't have a problem.

I like the show and tell idea as well, I'll nominate the tool I'll bring.

It will be an Alaskan small log mill.

zenwood
4th August 2005, 09:11 PM
It will be an Alaskan small log mill. Can we bring small alaskan logs for milling?

himzol
4th August 2005, 09:23 PM
Can we bring small alaskan logs for milling?

Why not, happy to demo.

ndru
4th August 2005, 09:31 PM
Sounds like a great idea - a "bring your favourite log" day! I've got a fair bit of room in my front yard if you want to let if rip for a demo. Probably not a good idea to run it in the back due to obnoxious neighbours, though :mad: :mad: :mad:

All I've got to show is some lee valley bits and pieces, mainly the clamps I picked up through the Great Bessey Clamp Rush of aught-five. Haven't even had a chance to use them in anger, yet :(

himzol
4th August 2005, 09:46 PM
Your yard - your call,
I'd hate to be the reason for a neibourhood dispute.

It does get noisy and creats a lot of sawdust. The chainsaw does seem to be louder when in "rip" mode rather than the standard crosscut.

Hearing protection, eye protection and respirators recomended (and insisted upon) for all. otherwise no probs.

Himzo.

zenwood
4th August 2005, 10:05 PM
otherwise no probs. Cool stuff. Is there a minimum size for the logs? All i've got is firewood, but I wouldn't mind ripping them into wee boards for boxes.

Ian007
4th August 2005, 10:11 PM
Cool stuff. Is there a minimum size for the logs? All i've got is firewood, but I wouldn't mind ripping them into wee boards for boxes.

Thats why you got that sick bandsaw blade the one that looks like shark teeth with your bandsaw on the weekend :p

zenwood
4th August 2005, 10:48 PM
Thats why you got that sick bandsaw Don't you have to make a special jig to hold logs for bandsaw resawing?

At least the fore/aft perpendicularity wouldn't be an issue.

himzol
4th August 2005, 10:51 PM
Cool stuff. Is there a minimum size for the logs? All i've got is firewood, but I wouldn't mind ripping them into wee boards for boxes.

Not really, it's rule of weight really. If I can lift the log and handle it easily then I use the bandsaw (as Ian has already indicated). generally anything less than 30mm ( 12 inches) diameter isn't worth doing either as you loose 10mm for each cut due to the curf of the chainsaw. (unless you just rip the log in half then go to the bandsaw)

Himzo

himzol
4th August 2005, 11:02 PM
Don't you have to make a special jig to hold logs for bandsaw resawing?

Yes, but it's a fairly simple jig. I have a link to one on the web but it's on the office computer. I'll post it tomorrow.

HImzo.

TrevorOwen
4th August 2005, 11:03 PM
Don't let him in unless he uses his proper name :D :D

The others on that list seem fine to me. :D
Gumby
I'm suprised, you missed the typo. My forum name is TrevorOwen so I must have right of passage after all.

ndru
If the date is now 13th August that should be OK with me.

Harry72
If you wanted to come down from Pirie I can give you a spare bed, that is unless you just want to sit on the highway and watch the Timbecon trucks go by. I sense Zenwood is almost ready for another purchase. Oh, sorry Harry, just remembered your shed is full of the stuff as well.

Cheers
Trevor

sbranden
4th August 2005, 11:50 PM
Should be fine this end.

Looking forward to it, but if anyone wants to catch up before then, feel free to pm me.

cheers

shaun

Christopha
4th August 2005, 11:57 PM
Why dintyers have it last weegend while everybugger was in town for the wood show????

zenwood
5th August 2005, 12:17 AM
Why dintyers have it last weegend while everybugger was in town for the wood show???? 'cos that would've been sensible:eek::D

Harry72
5th August 2005, 03:16 AM
The 13th I may be able to attend, as Im on holidays ATM(just started today... :) ) it'll depend if SWMBO will lend me some cash as Im a bit stint after the WWS(funny that), dam get paid on the 15th... monthly paydays suck, long time between drinks as they say!

unless you just want to sit on the highway and watch the Timbecon trucks go by. I sense Zenwood is almost ready for another purchase. Oh, sorry Harry, just remembered your shed is full of the stuff as well.
He he he I should paint me ute orange as its carried enough sherwood gear lately...

ndru
5th August 2005, 10:50 AM
Your yard - your call,
I'd hate to be the reason for a neibourhood dispute.

It does get noisy and creats a lot of sawdust. The chainsaw does seem to be louder when in "rip" mode rather than the standard crosscut.

Hearing protection, eye protection and respirators recomended (and insisted upon) for all. otherwise no probs.

Himzo.

I don't think it will be a problem if its all done within an hour or so. The front of my yard faces a train station so there aren't any immediate neighbours in that direction. I've made a lot of noise in the past at the front with a concrete saw for over for almost an hour on the weekend and didn't get single complaint. Most of my neighbours at the sides are very good, just the ones at the back suck.

Why dintyers have it last weegend while everybugger was in town for the wood show

Should be able to hold it at my house next July. :o

I think we'll start at about 1p on Saturday August 13. I'm located near the Marion Shopping Centre, but I'll PM the final guest with location details next week.

himzol
5th August 2005, 10:40 PM
Why dintyers have it last weegend while everybugger was in town for the wood show????

simple answer... we are slooooooow. dah.

himzol
5th August 2005, 10:49 PM
I don't think it will be a problem if its all done within an hour or so. The front of my yard faces a train station so there aren't any immediate neighbours in that direction. I've made a lot of noise in the past at the front with a concrete saw for over for almost an hour on the weekend and didn't get single complaint. Most of my neighbours at the sides are very good, just the ones at the back suck.

Cool, I can supply a log as well (I still have some exotics on my property which need to make way for stringy barks and manna gums), unless someone else has one they would like sliced.

Also as I said I may not be able to make it on the 13th so If we are to do this then the 10th of sept is the better date for the demo.

Himzo

tonysa
5th August 2005, 10:53 PM
Hi all
I'm new to this woodworking game but if experience isn't a pre-requisite I wouldn't mind coming along and putting some faces to some names.
13th looks good for me at the moment, as is the 10th September
Cheers
Tony

zenwood
5th August 2005, 10:59 PM
Cool, I can supply a log as well (I still have some exotics on my property which need to make way for stringy barks and manna gums), unless someone else has one they would like sliced.
I'm out of the log sawing thing: all I've got is about 300mm diameter x 450 mm redgum firewood, which are probably a bit on the small side.

Pity...I took down a dead tree in the front yard a few months ago and cut that into firewood too. Would have been good to get a plank or two out of it.

kiwigeo
5th August 2005, 11:31 PM
Kiwigeo (if he's not offshore that weekend)
Harry72 if he can make it to Adelaide

Definitely rig bound that weekend ndru......sitting here dead in the water waiting on equipment from US/Vietnam, this hitch is turning into a 6 weeker. Might have to have a woodies meet up at the nut farm I commit myself to when I get home.

Cheers Martin

ndru
5th August 2005, 11:34 PM
I'm out of the log sawing thing: all I've got is about 300mm diameter x 450 mm redgum firewood, which are probably a bit on the small side.

Pity...I took down a dead tree in the front yard a few months ago and cut that into firewood too. Would have been good to get a plank or two out of it.

For me this could be a "kill two birds with one stone" event.

I have two trees at my house that I want to take down. One is an old apricot tree (attracts rats during fruit season) and one is a young liquidambar (beautiful tree but too close to the house and is spreading roots under the foundations :mad:).

Assuming himzol can make it, it would be a great outcome for me if we could bring down at least the liquidambar in the front yard down and turn it into smallish boards. That tree is small but large enough to produce some small boards. I don't want the boards - others can have them. I'm also happy to clean up the smaller rubbish (eg branches, twigs). Is apricot good for anything. It definitely isn't a straight tree. Neither tree would be tricky to bring down, just needs someone with a little chainsaw skill.

ndru
5th August 2005, 11:40 PM
I'm new to this woodworking game but if experience isn't a pre-requisite I wouldn't mind coming along and putting some faces to some names.

You're quite welcome, Tony. Experience isn't my strong point, either. :D

Might have to have a woodies meet up at the nut farm I commit myself to when I get home.

Sorry to hear about your predicament, but just think of the all that pocket money for the next Mik attack! I'm sure there'll be another opportunity for us all to meet up later in the year.

Harry72
7th August 2005, 09:54 PM
Is this happening on the 13th or what... I need to know!

8th August 2005, 09:38 AM
Wouldn't mind trotting along to put faces on names.Regards...........AL

ndru
8th August 2005, 10:41 AM
Is this happening on the 13th or what... I need to know!

Yes, definitely the 13th of August, starting at 1p. I'll PM all who said they will attend with location details later today.

A few people have asked if they need to bring anything along.

As stated earlier, I'm happy to lay on snags, bread, onions, sauce, paper towels, etc for a sausage sizzle. I should have enough chairs for all, but it wouldn't hurt to bring a chair for yourself just in case. I'm hoping we can stay outside, but we can certainly go inside if the weather turns ugly.

The only thing to bring along are your prefence of drinks. There is a pub within 10 min walk of my place. I'll put out glasses and have some ice in our laundry to keep drinks cold.

It would be good if you could perhaps bring along something to show and tell or maybe share (eg magazines, books, videos, tips) although this is not a prerequisite - just something for conversation.

Studley 2436
10th August 2005, 09:38 PM
will see you on saturday ndru and all I will be just a touch late as I have to pick up the kids etc most likely be there at 2 don't get too much of a head start on me.

Studley

Ian007
10th August 2005, 10:25 PM
I will see you guys on saturday. :) :)

Ian

zenwood
10th August 2005, 11:14 PM
Just got SWMBO's permission, so will be there.

Studley 2436
11th August 2005, 12:12 AM
You gunna show off those planes Drew? Band Saw is too big to bring with you

Studley

ndru
12th August 2005, 09:48 AM
Hi again

Just letting everyone who is attending tomorrow that it is still "all systems go" at my place. It looks like the weather is going to be kind to us.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Cheers

sbranden
13th August 2005, 11:24 AM
Seeing as there are a few people heading down this way today, is there any chance that I can have some advice on my pending workshop setup. I live just off of Finnis Street, Marion, so less than a km from ndru. I have a decent size shed which is storing some items, but most of it can be used for the workshop.
I have done a little research online and through some books, but an experienced eye would really help to point out where the bandsaw should go, etc.

I will be coming along to ndru's place at around 1pm, so will meet you all there, but if anyone is around earlier, or can stay a little later, then any advice would be appreciated. pm, or email [email protected] if you have the time and are around.

cheers

shaun

zenwood
13th August 2005, 01:44 PM
... is there any chance that I can have some advice ...

Shaun: I'm sure there'll be a ton of it. Just gonna have some lunch, then it's off to ndru's place. :)

himzol
13th August 2005, 06:29 PM
Hi Folks,

My apologies,
As I thought I might struggle to get there this weekend. Bloody cold in Melbourne last week.
I only just got back and am happy to just be a vegetable in front of the fire for a day or so after a full on week of trying to install X-ray equipment in Melbourne. It doesn't help when you get a faulty X-ray tube from the manufacturer. I hope everybody has a great time and I hope to see some pics shortly. I will keep the 10th of Sept free for my part of the "show and tell".

Himzo

Tankstand
13th August 2005, 08:29 PM
Great to meet you guys and put faces to names,

Thanks to our host Ndru for the BBQ!

Lets see....there was....

ndru
sbranden
zenwood
Studley 2436
Trevor Owen
Harry72
Javali
Ian007
TonySA
And Tankstand of course!

Wankers the lot of them! :D (Ian said to say that!)

ndru
13th August 2005, 08:50 PM
I definitely enjoyed it - a great afternoon with some really good people with some interesting stories. Pity about Ian being so shy, though. :D

As Studley said, this might be the start of a local institution.

Thanks again for the bottle opener, Tankstand - very clever! Good to hear that you landed back on your feet with another job.

My apologies

No worries. Looking forward to perhaps meeting you and kiwigeo at a future meet, wherever that might be.

Cheers

PS. Sorry if the onions were a bit black! :o

TrevorOwen
13th August 2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks ndru for your hospitality and it was very nice to meet so many other SA woodies. We all had a good mag along with a snag or two, shared information and at the same time had a few laughs. Still plenty of room in the shed for more tools ndru!

Looking forward to photos from the official photographer.

Regards
Trevor

Studley 2436
13th August 2005, 11:50 PM
OK have some pictures here, you can see TonySA, Zenwood, TrevorOwen, and Harry all seeing if they like booze. They have real names but refuse to use them. The big noisy one is Ian007. In charge of the Barby Ndru. Don't know where the cup of tea is. For true darkside expertise have a look at Javali with his bandsaw. If you thought you had darkside skills by doing a little with a plane try this one he has made!

Good enough day but they are a bunch of wankers.

Studley

Studley 2436
14th August 2005, 12:02 AM
I have started a new thread here http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=185330#post185330 which is all about Javali's darkside saw. Will be interesting to see what the darksiders think about it *G*

Studley

Harry72
14th August 2005, 12:34 AM
Yep thanks NDRU was a good arvo, all wankers!

Ian007
14th August 2005, 12:40 AM
I definitely enjoyed it - a great afternoon with some really good people with some interesting stories. Pity about Ian being so shy, though. :D

As Studley said, this might be the start of a local institution.

Thanks again for the bottle opener, Tankstand - very clever! Good to hear that you landed back on your feet with another job.

yep thats me the shy bloke.

great arvo fellas

I saw that bit on the end of your post mark, thats like invisable ink man

wankers the lot of them, who said that :D

Cheers Ian.

Ps. if you like a curry then I can recommend the spice kitchen on kensington rd took the wife there tonight, great food & great service :)

tonysa
14th August 2005, 12:41 AM
ditto all that, thanks for sharing your house and BBQ NDRU, the only good onion's a black onion i reckon.
Good put some faces to names. Yep, all wankers
cheers
Tonysa

zenwood
14th August 2005, 09:28 AM
Yep: a great afternoon, and a big thanks to ndru for organising and hosting the event.

Pics:
Ian007 checking out the zenwood toy trebuchet (note foiley, it seemed to be effective, bugger it:) );
close up of trebuchet;
Harry72, TrevorOwen, Tankstand, Ian007;
the show-and-tell table, and other debris.
Studley's missed out on a photo here. Guess he's too used to staying out of the pics from doing weddings.

javali
14th August 2005, 11:03 AM
Thanks ndru. Was a great afternoon. Good to put some faces to nicknames.

zenwood
15th August 2005, 01:14 AM
At the meet and greet, Ian007 gave me some oak from a winery. I planed it up today, and it came up a treat. The colour is an amazingly rich dark brown, and the boards give off a fabulous oaky wine smell (bouquet?). Pics 1 and 2 show the before/after photos. Should be able to make a few nice boxes from this.

Pic 3 shows that this morning I finally got round to making a dust collector connection for my thicknesser. It may be the niftiest gizmo I've made. After planing about 100 feet of stock (and emptying the bloody bag on my teeny DC about 4 times), there was only about half a little dust pan of crumbs to sweep up. If you've got a thicknesser, and haven't got one of these, get one :).

kiwigeo
15th August 2005, 03:23 AM
Looks like you guys had a great afternoon....kicking myself for missing same. Will have to make sure I dont miss the next get together or offer my own place as a venue for a meet up.

Into week number 5 out here and with no light visible at the end of the tunnel yet. Drilling boys had 3 bits on board for this hole section and they were turned into scrap metal days ago....the bit currently in the hole had to be choppered to the rig early hours of this morning.

Cheers Martin

tonysa
15th August 2005, 11:39 PM
Nice piece of chardonnay you have there Zenwood.
Came up very nice, imagine what it'll be like when its finished - lovely drop !

I have some grotty old jarrah floorboards for future projects, its amazing what a few mm off the top and sides will do ! Except I have to do it the hard way, sander or el cheapo electric plane.

Cheers
Tony

Daddles
19th August 2005, 05:23 PM
Okay, how come I was left out of this? Didn't even know about it until it today, just in time to see all the celebrations :mad: :mad:

Richard

Ian007
19th August 2005, 07:16 PM
Okay, how come I was left out of this? Didn't even know about it until it today, just in time to see all the celebrations :mad: :mad:

Richard

you win some and you loose some :D

you will have to come to the next one!

Cheers Ian :)

himzol
19th August 2005, 10:36 PM
It's even worse when you know about it and cant get there, because your interstate for work in your own time. Hope to be at the next one though.

Himzo.