PDA

View Full Version : Dog Bone Chest Handles

Wirraway
11th November 2015, 05:32 PM
Unfortunately I don't own a lathe, as at the present time I don't have the available space. I mainly work with hand tools and I am currently making a small wooden tool chest and wonder whether anyone could assist me with making and supplying a pair of what are commonly called "Dog Bone Chest Lifts" that I can attach to each end of the chest for a "old school look". This chest is a trial run to sort out any problems with a view to making a full sized chest. Here is a link to the sort of thing I am after http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/make-dog-bone-chest-lifts . I will have to supply some measurements to ensure the handles fit the chest and the turned center section of the handles need to fit my hand. It is a small project and I would be happy to meet the reasonable costs of materials and time. The timber used doesn't have to be anything special. If anyone is interested in helping out please PM me.

KBs PensNmore
12th November 2015, 12:27 AM
Something like that could be made without a lathe. Cut the shape of the supports and drill them to suit the size dowell required.
What state/territory are you in?
Kryn

Wirraway
12th November 2015, 09:21 AM
Thanks Kryn, that is a great suggestion and one that I had considered. However it is not really what I am looking to achieve in this instance. I am in NSW.

greyhound
12th November 2015, 01:16 PM
Unfortunately I don't own a lathe, as at the present time I don't have the available space. I mainly work with hand tools and I am currently making a small wooden tool chest and wonder whether anyone could assist me with making and supplying a pair of what are commonly called "Dog Bone Chest Lifts" that I can attach to each end of the chest for a "old school look". This chest is a trial run to sort out any problems with a view to making a full sized chest. Here is a link to the sort of thing I am after http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/make-dog-bone-chest-lifts . I will have to supply some measurements to ensure the handles fit the chest and the turned center section of the handles need to fit my hand. It is a small project and I would be happy to meet the reasonable costs of materials and time. The timber used doesn't have to be anything special. If anyone is interested in helping out please PM me.
Sent you a PM

Christos
12th November 2015, 01:36 PM
Just advising that I sent you a PM.

soundman
28th November 2015, 05:46 PM
just looking at the way those handles are made ...... they wont be very strong, as they depend on crossgrain strength of the timber
cheers

Pittwater Pete
28th November 2015, 07:15 PM
I made a set for a chest I made for a mate which were not difficult and could be done similar without a lathe.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/28/081b93bd049dfc16f69e2f0edc12180e.jpg

Pittwater Pete
Living the dream.

Wirraway
30th November 2015, 10:02 AM
Thanks Soundman. Appreciate your thoughts on this. I am prepared to give them a go and see how they work out. In this initial project they will not need to support much weight.

Wirraway
30th November 2015, 10:05 AM
Hi Pete,

Those handles look magnificent, especially with the contrasting timber. Certainly food for thought.

soundman
30th November 2015, 03:05 PM
If any woden handles in the forms shown are to achieve reasonable strength the grain needs to be cross pinned with the fasteners.

this means that there has to be some bulk of wood to support the round part of the handle.

cheers

Wirraway
30th November 2015, 03:24 PM
Certainly makes sense. Thanks again for the advice. It is appreciated.