PDA

View Full Version : Queensland Maple

hughie
12th November 2015, 09:22 AM
As the heading says Queensland Maple and a fairly plain piece at that, approx 200 x 75 an odd shape blank for a hollow vessel, oiled with DIY Danish Oil. The jury is still out on how much gloss to apply to it, I 'm leaning toward a light buffing to high light the prominent parts.

TasSculptor
12th November 2015, 09:43 AM
Wow! That looks great!

DaveTTC
12th November 2015, 10:41 AM
Did you get the go pro out for this one ;)

Looks great. What is your wall thickness?

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

powderpost
12th November 2015, 11:11 AM
Another excellent job Hughie. Did you have any strife with the end grain?

Jim

Christos
12th November 2015, 12:28 PM
Another lovely piece.

Very much nice transitions with in the piece. I think it needs just a little more gloss.

Paul39
12th November 2015, 02:31 PM
Hughie,

That is wonderful. I like a soft sheen, a little buffing would be nice.

In your photographs, a fill light from a white card would be nice on the left side. I use white foam core board, available from office supply and picture framing places here.

You might also try a soft light from above.

The photo below is done with a light bounced off the ceiling with a white card from just below the camera to below the bowl to fill in the front. That is my standard set up for photographing my turnings.

turnerted
12th November 2015, 03:56 PM
Hughie
Your pieces just become more amazeing .Well done.
Ted

Prle77
12th November 2015, 07:45 PM
Wow.. that looks great!! :) :2tsup:
Now any chance you can hit us with step by step procedure how did you make it??? :innocent:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th November 2015, 08:01 PM
Wow! I envy your termite-wrangling skills... ;)

hughie
12th November 2015, 08:26 PM
Dave the wall thickness varies thin on top and thick on the bottom. This make the transitions more interesting

Jim, Yeah, I did, a bit more sanding than I had anticipated.

Christos yes thats my thinking as well.

Paul, I agree I kinda rushed this one, before going to work.

Ted thanks for the compliment, its all a progression.

Skew, Yeah wrangling aint for the faint hearted, the little blighter's are prone to stampede. :U

Prle77 I have a tutorial somewhere, I thought I posted it on the forum

dai sensei
12th November 2015, 09:44 PM
Beautiful result Hughie :2tsup:

One question though, very red for Maple with contrasting sapwood, how confident are you in species or is it just photo?

hughie
12th November 2015, 10:22 PM
Beautiful result Hughie :2tsup:

One question though, very red for Maple with contrasting sapwood, how confident are you in species or is it just photo?

OK I was given it some time back when I visited TTIT and I am pretty sure he called it maple. I think from memory he mentioned it was not common and was on the endangered list, he had kept it for many years .

TTIT
14th November 2015, 09:49 PM
OK I was given it some time back when I visited TTIT and I am pretty sure he called it maple. I think from memory he mentioned it was not common and was on the endangered list, he had kept it for many years .

Crikey! I was about to ask what sort of Maple it was until I got to this post - how embarrassing :- - I don't remember it or have any idea what it is! More chance of me remembering the blank if I saw it!!! :shrug:

Very nice piece by the way Hughie! You're turning these things into a signature of your own for sure.

Picko
14th November 2015, 10:20 PM
Outstanding Hughie

dai sensei
15th November 2015, 11:19 AM

My guess would be Red Ash, almost exactly the same grain/hardness but different colour. Pretty hard to get hold of but not endangered.

Ring any bells Vern?

Cliff Rogers
15th November 2015, 01:33 PM
Crikey! I was about to ask what sort of Maple it was until I got to this post - how embarrassing :- - I don't remember it or have any idea what it is! More chance of me remembering the blank if I saw it!!! :shrug:

Very nice piece by the way Hughie! You're turning these things into a signature of your own for sure.Is it a bit of Scented Maple?

hughie
15th November 2015, 04:46 PM

Very nice piece by the way Hughie! You're turning these things into a signature of your own for sure.

It was not you but some old bloke who had to clear out an old sawmill up north around Cairns etc. We were at the show grounds at the time.

TTIT
15th November 2015, 09:14 PM
My guess would be Red Ash, almost exactly the same grain/hardness but different colour. Pretty hard to get hold of but not endangered.

Ring any bells Vern?The more I look at it, the more I think you might be right. I had a good sized blank of Red Ash from Dad's collection and I can't find it now so I reckon that's probably it - but certainly not endangered!
As a point of interest, have you ever seen the colour of Red Ash from out this way??? Same species but if the trees get to be big enough, many of them develop the brightest yellow heartwood with a few streaks of darker browns/purples - pretty amazing looking but horrible to work!

dai sensei
16th November 2015, 02:39 PM
The more I look at it, the more I think you might be right. I had a good sized blank of Red Ash from Dad's collection and I can't find it now so I reckon that's probably it - but certainly not endangered!
As a point of interest, have you ever seen the colour of Red Ash from out this way??? Same species but if the trees get to be big enough, many of them develop the brightest yellow heartwood with a few streaks of darker browns/purples - pretty amazing looking but horrible to work!

Never seen any from up your way, only from around northern NSW, beautiful orange when cut turning similar to Hughie's item. My stuff turns and finishes the same as Maple

hughie
16th November 2015, 08:33 PM

Ring any bells Vern?

Might be, it was not so hard very similar to Maple, will see what Vern comes back with

artme
21st November 2015, 07:03 AM
Splendid work Hughie!:clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3:

hughie
22nd November 2015, 08:01 AM
The more I look at it, the more I think you might be right. I had a good sized blank of Red Ash from Dad's collection and I can't find it now so I reckon that's probably it - but certainly not endangered!

Fair enough I will go with Red Ash, it finishes and turns just like Maple. Well thanks for all the input, I was not really happy calling it Maple . But didnt have anything better to go on :) and a dodgy memory.

TTIT
22nd November 2015, 09:38 PM
And just when you thought it was all done and dusted, I had a proper look around the shed following Hughie's info and found the missing Red Ash blank, plus the stuff from the old sawmill in Cairns - pretty sure it's Maple Silkwood (Flindersia pimenteliana) - not exactly an endangered tree but I don't think the timber is available commercially any more.

hughie
23rd November 2015, 07:18 AM
And just when you thought it was all done and dusted, I had a proper look around the shed following Hughie's info and found the missing Red Ash blank, plus the stuff from the old sawmill in Cairns - pretty sure it's Maple Silkwood (Flindersia pimenteliana) - not exactly an endangered tree but I don't think the timber is available commercially any more.

:) no worries, bit of a saga this one, thanks for all effort. Its the joys of having a decent wood pile it starting happen often for me :D