PDA

View Full Version : ride-on mower keeps dying

DaveTTC
14th November 2015, 08:22 PM
G'day all,

Hope someone can help. I have a Husqvarna LT1536

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/14/2b8ba97329864d3c7c111486635abfdd.jpg

It starts no problem but the moment I take my foot off the clutch it dies. Any thoughts? It does this in neutral and in gear.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/14/a6fce06b93ed656bd053ea18c1f8e86b.jpg

Under the hood

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/14/c6adac146d19dc9693a27a2a865343e2.jpg

Thx

DaveTTC

Simplicity
14th November 2015, 08:29 PM
Check your air filter fuel filter spark plug lead first

DaveTTC
14th November 2015, 08:32 PM
checked air and fuel filter, seem to be ok but replacing would not hurt. checked the plug but not the lead

Simplicity
14th November 2015, 08:37 PM
Try it with out the air filter .
Also the spark plug are you getting a nice fat spark of it ? if you take it out and ground it against the engine while turning it over .
Is the carby fuel bowl dirty

DaveTTC
14th November 2015, 08:40 PM
tried without air filter and still same issue. Not sure where the carbi is but somewhere after the filter im sure. I will have to try and get onto that tomorrow and check it out. did not turn the motor with spark out as it sounds perfectly fine with the clutch pressed in I figured assumed it must not be a spark problem?

What I dont understand is why this happens even in neutral

Simplicity
14th November 2015, 09:15 PM
It maybe the spark is strong enough at idle but not under load
Also is there a loose wire anywhere shorting out
Is there anything to do with a break safety switch
(Is there a switch under the brake clutch petal)

DaveTTC
14th November 2015, 09:17 PM
there is a switch under the seat. I pondered electrical issues but could see nothing

DaveTTC

Turning Wood Into Art

A Duke
14th November 2015, 09:19 PM
Hi,
May be a seized input shaft/bearing in the gear box.
Not good.:no:
Regards

DaveTTC
14th November 2015, 09:27 PM
Hi,
May be a seized input shaft/bearing in the gear box.
Not good.:no:
Regards
Anyway i can check that

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Pittwater Pete
14th November 2015, 09:38 PM
Hi Dave, I'd love to help you out but I'm a lousy mechanic and an even worse gardener. :crash:
Can I suggest sheep?

Pete.

DaveTTC
14th November 2015, 09:39 PM
Hi Dave, I'd love to help you out but I'm a lousy mechanic and an even worse gardener. :crash:
Can I suggest sheep?

Pete.
Can you get me some with remote controls ;)

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Simplicity
14th November 2015, 09:47 PM
I would Choose goats there not as picky
I hear that eat everything including small children

Pittwater Pete
14th November 2015, 09:52 PM
Compusheep. Sounds like a gr8 idea. You're gonna be rich.

I found the user manual, have a read of page 21

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/74419/Husqvarna-Lt1536.html?page=21

Pete.

DaveTTC
14th November 2015, 10:07 PM
I would Choose goats there not as picky
I hear that eat everything including small children
Not the kids

Compusheep. Sounds like a gr8 idea. You're gonna be rich.

I found the user manual, have a read of page 21

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/74419/Husqvarna-Lt1536.html?page=21

Pete.
That looks a handy link

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Pittwater Pete
14th November 2015, 10:08 PM
Do you have to purge your transmission? If so maybe this will help.

http://husqvarna.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/193/~/maintenance---how-do-i-purge-the-transmission-on-my-hydrostatic-lawn-tractor%3F

If not that, I'm lost!

Pete.

Lappa
14th November 2015, 10:28 PM
Take off the drive belt and retest.

KBs PensNmore
14th November 2015, 11:39 PM
Hi Dave,
Going by the manual that Pete kindly attached, I would say that either the clutch/brake or the clutch attachment switch is faulty, see pge 27.
Kryn

DaveTTC
15th November 2015, 07:35 AM
Take off the drive belt and retest.
Will try that this morning before i go to work i hope.

Hi Dave,
Going by the manual that Pete kindly attached, I would say that either the clutch/brake or the clutch attachment switch is faulty, see pge 27.
Kryn
Will read this now before I wake the natives

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

DaveTTC
15th November 2015, 08:16 AM
Kryn I think you are on the money

In the pic below the area circled in red would be the most likely issue followed by the area in purple? Would you or anyone else agree.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/14/368f6c7ff52d779333c955ce309fc94e.jpg

Pete ... you're the man. Thanks for finding the manual

Now to find these things where they really are, could not find a page that showed where to find it ... will scan thru the pages again, must say looking at a screen bigger than my phone was a big help

DaveTTC

Turning Wood Into Art

Simplicity
15th November 2015, 09:38 AM
Looks like you could bypass the switches to check to

Bob38S
15th November 2015, 11:23 AM
I'm no mechanic either, that being said, I have had a few ride on mowers as I live on an acre which is mostly an ironstone ridge. I try to mow after rain to avoid the dust, I see yours is very dusty. From your description, I would suggest that you blow out all of the "safety" switches with compressed air as these can cause issues if they are not clean.

DaveTTC
15th November 2015, 01:10 PM
I'm no mechanic either, that being said, I have had a few ride on mowers as I live on an acre which is mostly an ironstone ridge. I try to mow after rain to avoid the dust, I see yours is very dusty. From your description, I would suggest that you blow out all of the "safety" switches with compressed air as these can cause issues if they are not clean.
Where are the safety switches

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

DaveTTC
15th November 2015, 01:11 PM
Looks like you could bypass the switches to check to
Matt, buddy, pal ......

How do i bypass the switched. Ill take some pics later and you might (or someone else) be able to tell me whats what.

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Bob38S
15th November 2015, 01:16 PM
Under the seat, the blade engagement lever and the park brake and or clutch depending on the model. They are usually micro switches and it only takes one within the system to play up and then you have a problem.

Simplicity
15th November 2015, 01:19 PM
I think I'm right here .
From the back of the ignition switch ,there is a white cable connect to terminal S .run a jumper wire to the body of the lawn mower .
But get some other input from more knowledge folks ,I'm at the far reaches of my knowledge here .

DaveTTC
15th November 2015, 01:36 PM
So you mean just ground the white?

Do i leave the rest in play or cut and ground?

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Simplicity
15th November 2015, 01:55 PM
Ye just ground it
But leave the rest as is if u can put a fuse in your ground wire the better just in case I'm WRONG

Lappa
15th November 2015, 02:28 PM
The S terminal on the ign switch is "Start" supply to the starter solenoid - don't ground it - it will blow the fuse on Start/Crank! With your foot on the brake/clutch pedal, the two upper contacts are closed so current can flow to the top two contacts in the attachment clutch switch (which must be closed ie. attachment clutch OFF) then to the starter solenoid to crank the engine.

Lappa
15th November 2015, 03:19 PM
Looking at the circuit in detail, if the engine stalls when:
a) you have your foot on the brake/clutch pedal and you engage the clutch attachment lever

and

b) you take your foot off the brake clutch pedal and the attachment lever is disengaged

then the problem would seem to be the seat switch as it supplies the connection to ground for both the those ignition cut circuits.

DaveTTC
15th November 2015, 03:46 PM
Lappa, if i bypass thw seat switch do yiu think this will work?

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Lappa
15th November 2015, 03:52 PM
Looking at the diagram Dave (if its accurate), if you disconnect it, and its the fault, it should fix the problem:?

DaveTTC
15th November 2015, 03:53 PM
Disconnect. Is thattake the wired off each side of rhe switch and join them together.

Excuse my absolute ignorance here

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Lappa
15th November 2015, 04:14 PM
Disconnect. Is thattake the wired off each side of rhe switch and join them together.

Excuse my absolute ignorance here

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

No just disconnect and leave the wires off - don't join together.

DaveTTC
15th November 2015, 04:16 PM
Update in an hour. Heading home soon

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Simplicity
15th November 2015, 04:30 PM
Glad your listening to them not me [emoji41]

DaveTTC
15th November 2015, 05:21 PM
Just tried seat bypass still not working.

Starts fine with clutch break pressed. As soon ad i release break clutch it dies. Push it back in quick enough and she fires yp again

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Lappa
15th November 2015, 06:09 PM
when you say "seat bypass". you have left the wires disconnected haven't you?

If so, then it has to be a wire to earth problem on the lower contacts of the clutch/brakes switch - looking at the diagram

Pittwater Pete
15th November 2015, 06:36 PM
Dave....you better hurry up with the lawn mowing or you won't be allowed to go play next weekend :D

Pete.

Lappa
15th November 2015, 07:03 PM
Dave, you wouldn't happen to have a multimeter with Ohms on it would you, or a 12v test light??

Uncle Al
15th November 2015, 07:05 PM
Maybe you could bring the mower up to Katoomba next weekend, and we can get 20 blokes to give 20 opinions on what is wrong, and then someone with no mechanical knowledge what so ever will fix it for you, with 18 others with a beer in hand (I don't drink) all shouting encouragement:D

Pittwater Pete
15th November 2015, 07:51 PM
The sheep and goats ideas are lookin pretty good now,
or how about a lawn-Mooer.
Pete.

DaveTTC
15th November 2015, 07:55 PM
Maybe you could bring the mower up to Katoomba next weekend, and we can get 20 blokes to give 20 opinions on what is wrong, and then someone with no mechanical knowledge what so ever will fix it for you, with 18 others with a beer in hand (I don't drink) all shouting encouragement:D
Love that Al. Really did lol

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Pittwater Pete
15th November 2015, 08:01 PM
Or get your rabbit to do some work for a change.

DaveTTC
15th November 2015, 08:10 PM
when you say "seat bypass". you have left the wires disconnected haven't you?

If so, then it has to be a wire to earth problem on the lower contacts of the clutch/brakes switch - looking at the diagram
Yes left disconnected

Dave....you better hurry up with the lawn mowing or you won't be allowed to go play next weekend :D

Pete.
Already getting a hard time from swimbo cause i get to do things and she doesnt. The ice is thin

Dave, you wouldn't happen to have a multimeter with Ohms on it would you, or a 12v test light??
No I don't

So here is what happened. Found a switch the has a button going through to inder the deck and yes it is activated by the clutch / break pedal. It has 5 wires going to the plug from memory.

Pulled the plug

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/15/f64eeabe798a2d584c72d1693ccc3fa8.jpg

And looped the white with red (my bad, should have got white)

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/15/207383c07de26f84e080d45b9f4c8be6.jpg

Thing went great ..... for a while. Oh the seat switch stopped working. Thats ok now i can pick up rocks with iut the mower stopping.

Oh no!@!@! After running for about an hour a new problem. It is flooding. I mean it is seriously flooding. When stopped fuel is pouring out the carbi on the ground. Inknow it is the carbi cause it has one of those painted credit card things like in trevs indian. What did he call that again. Oh a butterfly. Thx for the education in mechanics trev. Now i may have to cut up my credit card to fix the carbi.

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Edit.

So then i looped the other side incase it had something to do with the solinoid on the carbi. Got up to check after finally getting it started again and she died. Dog nam it! the seat switch started working again

crowie
15th November 2015, 08:30 PM
The kids could have fun with this sort of ride-on mower Dave.....:rolleyes:

Lappa
15th November 2015, 08:43 PM
If the diagram is correct, the plug should have either:
a) 4 wires - 2 white in separate terminals and 2 black in separate terminals ie. 4 terminals. This is the clutch/brake switch. Bridging the 2 white wires allows you to start the mower.

b) 6 wires - 2 white in separate terminals and 2 black in each of the other 2 terminals ie. 4 terminals. This is the attachment clutch switch. Bridging the 2 white wires allows you to start the mower.

In either case, disconnection of the plug has removed the black "ignition kill" wires from a potential short to ground at that switch which is why it starts and runs. When you jumped the two black wires, you brought the seat switch back into play:o

DaveTTC
15th November 2015, 09:13 PM
So the black is only the kill switch for the seat and nothing to do with the wire going to the solinoid at the carbi?

I think the carbi wire was red.

It was only four terminals on the plug but beat i can see is 2 blacks in one one black in another and one white in eah of the remaining two which have been looped with non colour coded red

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

DaveTTC
15th November 2015, 09:14 PM
The kids could have fun with this sort of ride-on mower Dave.....:rolleyes:
I've seen that somewhere

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Dave Stanton
15th November 2015, 09:19 PM
Had a similar problem with my old ride on. It was a short happening by the linkages hitting an electrical cable...one of the safety kill switches. It took me forever to find it. I disconnected all the things and replaced one at a time. If you are not good with this kind of stuff get someone to look at it for you...safety switches are there for a good reason. Anyway, found the one acting up and traced it to a rubbing linkage that wore through the wires insulation. Adjusted the linkage and replaced the wire and good as gold.
Hope this helps.

Bob38S
15th November 2015, 11:40 PM
Can't help you with the carbi but as I said, the so called "safety" switches need to be clean and kept clean. I blow mine out every time I clean the air filter which is about every 3 to 4 mowings.

From the look of your connections, air may not be enough and could even blow crud where you don't want it. Even though you have got it going the cause of the problem is still there. Just a suggestion, Jaycar, Dick Smith or your local TV repair place can sell you a tin of contact cleaner, this would "wash out" the crud to ensure you have no further electrical issues.

This is my Husky, AWD with a mulching 112 cm, 3 blade deck, magic machine.

DaveTTC
16th November 2015, 06:04 AM
I like your machine

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

NCArcher
16th November 2015, 07:28 AM
Dave, plug it back in and see if the carby still floods. You may have disconnected the fuel shut off valve.
I've seen a similar problem the same as Dave Stanton describes. Except it was the throttle linkage that was hitting on the kill wire.

wheelinround
16th November 2015, 07:38 AM
Buy a few sheep, horses, alpaca, not only will they mow but they wool, meat and fun the kids can have with them. Just no goats they eat anything.

DaveTTC
16th November 2015, 07:43 AM
Dave, plug it back in and see if the carby still floods. You may have disconnected the fuel shut off valve.
I've seen a similar problem the same as Dave Stanton describes. Except it was the throttle linkage that was hitting on the kill wire.
Ill try that. Not sue if i get back to it now before the gtg. Could be heading to sydney tomorrow. My SIL has some work for me

Buy a few sheep, horses, alpaca, not only will they mow but they wool, meat and fun the kids can have with them. Just no goats they eat anything.
No doubt the kids would love it

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Simplicity
16th November 2015, 03:07 PM
Go the goat
A lot more adventurous

Lappa
16th November 2015, 08:37 PM
If it has five wires, then the wiring diagram is wrong:( The black wires are all to do with the ignition kill circuit. According to the diagram Pete gave the link to, the red wire goes from the charging system regulator up to A1 on the ignition switch and the wire to the fuel cut solenoid is blue? There should be an orange wire, joined to the red and blue going to A2 on the ignition switch. Have a look at the diagram which shows the back of the ignition switch and compare wire colours to yours. The fuel cut solenoid, if it goes into the carby body, is used to cut off the fuel circuit in the carby when the ignition is switched off to prevent the engine "running on" when the engine is switched off.
if you wanted to bypass the safety switches, but I'm not recommending it, you could disconnect the black wire from the ignition unit and the "m" terminal on the ignition switch, then run connect a wire from the ignition unit straight back to the ignition switch "m" terminal. This would allow you to start and stop the mower normally but all the safety switches would be bypassed.

DaveTTC
16th November 2015, 10:12 PM
If it has five wires, then the wiring diagram is wrong:( The black wires are all to do with the ignition kill circuit. According to the diagram Pete gave the link to, the red wire goes from the charging system regulator up to A1 on the ignition switch and the wire to the fuel cut solenoid is blue? There should be an orange wire, joined to the red and blue going to A2 on the ignition switch. Have a look at the diagram which shows the back of the ignition switch and compare wire colours to yours. The fuel cut solenoid, if it goes into the carby body, is used to cut off the fuel circuit in the carby when the ignition is switched off to prevent the engine "running on" when the engine is switched off.
if you wanted to bypass the safety switches, but I'm not recommending it, you could disconnect the black wire from the ignition unit and the "m" terminal on the ignition switch, then run connect a wire from the ignition unit straight back to the ignition switch "m" terminal. This would allow you to start and stop the mower normally but all the safety switches would be bypassed.
Im off to Sydney in the morning but will go back over this upon my return

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art