PDA

View Full Version : Carbatec 2HP Dust Extractor Q's

Waldo
4th August 2005, 02:07 PM
G'day,

Last night while my wife was watching TV and after having been in trouble the night before for looking in here, I decided instead to sit with her while reading the 05 C/T catalogue.

At which point she asked, "What are you doing?", "Just reading I replied". To tell her otherwise would've been trouble.

My question is thus:

• The C/T 2 HP Economy Dust Extractor FM-300, will it do the job? I know it's $299, maybe it's cheap but if I say to my wife I want to spend more I'd be dead. I want to hook it up to my 14" b/saw, 6" Jointer and stationery drop saw which is mounted.

(BTW I have read over 7 pages after doing a search and didn't really find what I was after)

I would use blast gates with 4" hoses running off PVC. The PVC would be total of about 4m in length. What I can't find is:

• Is it better to run the PVC with attaching 4" hoses along the floor to the machinery, or:

• run PVC from ceiling of shed with junctions of PVC then down to floor and 4" hoses to each machine?

Other question is:

• static electricty, saw on Mythbusters and they proved it's joke, so therefore no need to run a grounding kit, or has anyone someting to say to the contary?

Lots of questions I know but looking to:

• save my lungs;

• save some mess;

• and spend more money much to my wife's agro I'm sure.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Termite
4th August 2005, 02:20 PM
Expect to spend more money on duct, gates etc. Best value is the pack they put together for around 100 bucks.

Zed
4th August 2005, 02:21 PM
I have my router table and sander sharing a 1hp carbatec economy model and it seems to do quite well however its quite noisy and did struggle on my jointer (so I got a 2hp for that)

I think the diff between the economy and regular is the cfm rating and quality of manufacture. I imagine its the same as the 2hp variants. more cfm is the go i reckon.

I just use the plastic blast gates and have a max of 2m per length - this is ample I feel.

in my opinion you are better off letting gravity work for you instead of agaisnt you so I would have the horizontals at the same height as the inputs to the dusty rather than having to lift the chips off the floor.

tell her its cheaper than a new set of lungs.... :D

dai sensei
4th August 2005, 04:17 PM
Check out the threads under best of the best - dust collection http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=1677

Check out Bill Pentz's web site, the link is in the above, or check out links in my web site which may also give give you more ideas on piping/blast gates http://www.dai-sensei.com/ It can take months to read all Bill's site, but worth it. If you don't want to use a cyclone, at least consider 2 stage bin.

Along floor/roof is up to you, main thing is having the shortest route possible and least amount joints. Don't forget your machines may move over time.

All the best.

Gumby
4th August 2005, 04:39 PM
That's exactly the model I just bough after selling my 1HP. It's connected to the jointer and table saw with a separator (dust bin) in between the machines and the DC.

Highly recommmend it for an economic solution to your probs. I couldn't justify the extra for the better model which as far as I know, has better bags but same motor.

Waldo
4th August 2005, 05:05 PM
G'day,

Just told my wife my big idea, boy oh boy I copped it! Might have to do it in stages I think.

Thanks for the posts so far.

gazaly
4th August 2005, 06:30 PM
Waldo,

I just bought the Timbecon version of the 1hp Dusty, works great and is very quiet.

I have it hooked to a Triton workcentre top and bottom, router table top and bottom and to my disc sander. All piping, both rgid and flexible, is run along the deck (floor). Having the bandsaw and jointer might require the larger unit though, Gumby would no better having just upgraded.

All is 4" (100mm), using a combination of pvc components and 2 of the $99 kits that both Carbatec and Timbecon sell, with all the gates, clamps etc.

The pvc parts are so cheap compared to the specific bits and pieces from Carbatec and Timbecon that I wish I had seached it out better first. Probobly could have save buying the second kit.

Cheers

speedy
4th August 2005, 08:17 PM
I recently bought the FM-300 DC for my workshop. I use it on the following machines:- 6" jointer, 15" thicknesser, TSC-10Hb saw, 17" bandsaw. I will be fitting it to my Router table, mitre saw and include a fitting above my work bench for hand power tools (eg router, sander) when I get time to finish the ducting. The DC works great I personally wouldn't spend the extra for the other model, if I need another in the future I will be buying the FM-300 again.
:cool::cool::cool::D:D:D

Waldo
4th August 2005, 11:49 PM
G'day Speedie,

I haven't yet worked out if I'm going to run the ducting all along the floor or to put part it suspended from the ceiling of the shed, do you notice any loss of reduction in the ability of the DC to suck as you have it?

Talked with my wife tonight and she's come around, but every time I spend a cent I get the, "This hobby is costing us a fortune, your bench cost us over $500 bla bla bla" Looks like I have the OK, but one day it'll come around and bite me. :D

(Speedie, you're living in paradise, I'd love to get back to my home state and move back to Brissie, Cairns would be my next choice, 'cept my wife hates the heat, I hate the cold down here - it's a no win :( At least I have my tools and a shed)

Harry72
5th August 2005, 02:19 AM
If she's thinking your hobby is costing lots... justify it with some furniture made personaly for her use!
Its not that expensive for a hobby really, compared to say cars or fishing or even golf because once the bulk of the outlay is spent its always there to be used... cost is long forgoten in time the stuff you make isnt!

Ecc
5th August 2005, 08:47 AM
If you check out some of the sites particularly Bill Peintz's (sp?) he recommends using 6 inch hosing and pipes throughout as smaller sizes don't carry enough air. Trouble is that size is damn expensive. I used 4" with my Carbatec but at least upgraded my bag to the smaller filter size (5 micron I think). If you pull off the the dual connector there actually is a 6 inch connection there. I may yet go to a 5 inch connection as I have some 5 inch hose around. If you look around there are also formula to calculate maximum lengths of pipe etc. Its a surprisingly complex field.

Waldo
19th August 2005, 06:42 PM
G'day,

Well it's now been given the offical go ahead by the CFO (got a cheque in the mail from an investment who sold half my shares) so the 2hp Dusty is happening. When I commented re: the cheque and I could no get the dusty my CFO said, "I was waiting for that" :D

No I just have to sort out what amount of PVC etc I need.

Bodgy
20th August 2005, 08:11 PM
Timbecon in Perth have their 2 HP version Dusty (same device, different colour and badge) on special for (I think ) $50 less

Just bought one. Would love to do an endorsement but still waiting for delivery, despite solemn promises of Tuesday last week.

Nice guys, good range, fair pricing, but their despatch people couldn't organise an intimate encounter in a bordello.

Five consequitive orders stuFfed up!!

Sorry, wasn't meant to be a winge. Special on till next month. Just get delivery details written in blood - preferably theirs.

Bodgy
Even fools are right sometimes - WSC