PDA

View Full Version : turning a mango bowl........then oooppppsss !! and HELP !!

smiife
22nd November 2015, 03:51 PM
Hi guys,
Started turning a large piece of mango today, just
knocking off the edges and taking shape when I moved
the toolrest and bang! the toolrest came off in my hand:o
I was lucky i held on to it:o
The bolt underneath the banjo had broken off the sleeve
SO HELP,,,,!!!!!,, how does the shaft come out of the banjo?
It, s off a woodfast 910, I have bashed it and thumped it
but it will not come all the way out, any help would be
appreciated,,,, took a few piccies to explain better !

Pat
22nd November 2015, 04:44 PM
Smiife, email Woodfast and inform them. I have done the same and they replaced the part with a new one.

As to getting the existing collar of the bar, gently does it. The bar is elliptical. Lubricate the bar with your favourite lubricant, twist the collar until it moves laterally. Graham from Woodfast can talk you thru the replacement procedure, it took me 10 minutes to do, 9 minutes of procrastination and 1 minute of actual labour.

smiife
22nd November 2015, 04:51 PM
Smiife, email Woodfast and inform them. I have done the same and they replaced the part with a new one.

As to getting the existing collar of the bar, gently does it. The bar is elliptical. Lubricate the bar with your favourite lubricant, twist the collar until it moves laterally. Graham from Woodfast can talk you thru the replacement procedure, it took me 10 minutes to do, 9 minutes of procrastination and 1 minute of actual labour.

Hi pat,
Yeah I got the collar 3/4, s of the way out but then It wouldn, t
move any more , I have also burred the end over on the shaft
so I might have to get a new shaft too!:doh:

Seymore Butts
22nd November 2015, 11:24 PM
Can't believe Graham is still there. I used to be maintenance/toolmaker at woodfast in the early 90's. Grahams surely well past retirement age!

Nubsnstubs
23rd November 2015, 02:01 AM
Smiife, is there a set screw or pin holding the bushing in at the back end of the banjo? To do the damage you've done on the shaft, there has to be something holding it in. As far as the mushroom on the end of the shaft, file it round again. After filing, when pounding to remove the shaft after you've removed whatever obstacle holding it in, use a brass, copper, or heavy wood mallet to cushion the end of the freshly filed shaft. If you don't have mallets or hammers made of those materials, get a thick piece of aluminum as a cushion. Good luck........... Jerry (in Tucson)

wheelinround
23rd November 2015, 02:50 PM
Smiifie any decent welder should be able to weld that back together. Less force on locking it down will prevent it happening again, IF its still moving tighten the nut a nats hair.

smiife
23rd November 2015, 07:58 PM
QUOTE=Seymore Butts;1910538]Can't believe Graham is sitill there. I used to be maintenance/toolmaker at woodfast in the early 90's. Grahams surely well past retirement age![/QUOTE]

Thanks seymore,,,,,, did you have any advice to offer?
You would know more than most I would imagine !

Smiife, is there a set screw or pin holding the bushing in at the back end of the banjo? To do the damage you've done on the shaft, there has to be something holding it in. As far as the mushroom on the end of the shaft, file it round again. After filing, when pounding to remove the shaft after you've removed whatever obstacle holding it in, use a brass, copper, or heavy wood mallet to cushion the end of the freshly filed shaft. If you don't have mallets or hammers made of those materials, get a thick piece of aluminum as a cushion. Good luck........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Hi jerry,
Yeah there was a grub screw holding It , which I didn, t
see at first:doh:!,,, so I guess thats how the damage happened
Thanks for your thoughts I will try again to get the shaft out

Smiifie any decent welder should be able to weld that back together. Less force on locking it down will prevent it happening again, IF its still moving tighten the nut a nats hair.

Hi wheelie,
Yeah , I am thinking of taking the whole thing to a
welding/engineering place and let them sort It out,
It has always been a pain to get tight , I will take It
tommorow .....thanks for your help!

smiife
29th November 2015, 05:32 PM
Hi guys,
I got my banjo back on friday , welded up and good
to go .......so today i finished the bottom of what will
be a big bowl,,,,,, does anyone know a good finish for
mango, I haven, t turned mango before so any advice
would be appreciated......thanks......

wheelinround
29th November 2015, 05:50 PM
:? Looks like you have finished it already.

That depends I have used DO and a Satin Nitrocellulose Lacquer and that combination gives a darker timber look highlighting grain but each is different A Gloss NL alone would give other highlights on its own. Even a WoP Satin or Gloss.

smiife
29th November 2015, 07:30 PM
:? looks like you have finish it already.

That depends I have used DO and a Satin Nitrocellulose Lacquer and that combination gives a darker timber look highlighting grain but each is different A Gloss NL alone would give other highlights on its own. Even a WoP Satin or Gloss.

Hi wheelie,
No!... I just wiped It over with DO.
Thanks for your thoughts,,
I was worried it might go yellowish.
I will try a few more coats of DO and see how it looks:2tsup:

smiife
6th December 2015, 05:05 PM
Hi guys,
I got a bit of shed time today, so was hollowing the inside of my
Mango bowl, and heard a strange ticking noise, it was a nail buried
deep within the bowl, lucky it was only the tip of the nail, so I drilled
all around it and remove the nail, by the time I had finished the inside
I was getting in a big mess with shavings covering all flat surfaces..
I should really get a bowlsaver,, could have got 2 or 3 bowls out
of this large blank,,, anyway a few photos to explain better !

dai sensei
6th December 2015, 09:18 PM
Home grown Mango often have those hard problems :rolleyes:

smiife
7th December 2015, 07:47 PM
Home grown Mango often have those hard problems :rolleyes:

Yeah,,,,, you know what they are like around the nerang area
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Andy K
7th December 2015, 08:55 PM
Dunno if this is too late for you....but...look at the first pic (20151122 142753), on the left hand end of the cam shaft there is a circlip. Remove it and the whole lot slides apart. You can probably weld the broken component back together. Just make sure to ream it afterwords as the welding process will likely distort it.

smiife
8th December 2015, 08:35 PM
Dunno If this is too late for you....but...look at the first pic (20151122 142753), on the left hand end of the cam shaft there is a circlip. Remove it and the whole lot slides apart. You can probably weld the broken component back together. Just make sure to ream it afterwords as the welding process will likely distort it.

Hi andy,
No ,,, I don, t think there Is a circlip, I took the
whole banjo to a local engineering company
and they sorted It out for me, it has always been
a bit tight and hard to move, and If I loosened the
nut It would work loose,,,,,,, it seems to be ok now!
Thanks for your thoughts and advice!:2tsup: