PDA

View Full Version : Christmas is getting closer!!!

dougturner
22nd November 2015, 11:58 PM
Had a ball in my shed today, so decided to try out my new Robert Sorby Ring Tool. On the Norwegian Woodturning Cruise in 2014, I was lucky enough to spend some time with Asmond Vignes from Norway, who is apparently one of the northern hemisphere experts with the ring tool. He was a tough teacher, but I seem to have remembered at least some of what he taught me. Asmund made wooden bells so thin that ordinary sunlight was visible through the wood in most cases. His bells were about 75 mm at the bottom, and about 85 mm high, and to my eyes, perfect every time. It may have something to do with the fact that he has been turning for a long time as a professional.

Anyway, I successfully completed the five bells in the photos, from Silky Oak (1), Kauri (3), and "another timber". They are all turned from stock about 50x50x80 mm, and finish about 45x45 mm, with one a bit smaller than the others. My technique still needs a lot of refining, but it was good fun, and I am pretty happy with the results. I can see through parts of most of them against my lathe LED light, so just keep practicing. The finish is EEE and Shellawax. Doug.364116364117364118 I hope my turning is better than my photography!!

crowie
23rd November 2015, 10:14 AM
They are beautiful Doug and the photos are pretty good too...well done sir..cheers, crowie

dai sensei
23rd November 2015, 11:52 AM
They look great :2tsup:.

An improvement though would be to add a dangling bit inside. Use a bit of silver/gold wire (jewellery stuff) and tie to end of dangle, then thread through a hole at the top, finally form a loop on the outside to connect a tie for the tree or whatever

The Hun
23rd November 2015, 02:47 PM
Doug

They look wonderful

Any chance you could give a quick description on how you made them

Best wishes

Peter

turnerted
23rd November 2015, 03:57 PM
Good work Doug.I look forward to seeing them in the flesh .
Ted

smiife
23rd November 2015, 07:40 PM
They look great doug, good idea for xmas decorations:U

dougturner
27th November 2015, 10:13 PM
Peter, as soon as I get time (?????) next week, I will try to do a series of photos as a step by step process. Wish me luck!!! Doug:U.

dougturner
11th April 2016, 11:13 PM
I hope this is in the right place, as it is a long overdue response to "The Hun" (Peter) dated Nov23 last year. These are the step by step photos to making my Christmas Bells as promised on that date. This one is turned from Camphor Laurel (don't you love the smell!!) and turned inside with a Ring Tool as mentioned in my original post. The outside was turned with a 12mm Axford detail gouge, while the blank is being held in spigot jaws. The finish is EEE then Shellawax. Lots of fun except for the last photo, but s@#% happens sometimes. Photo 1 is the blank ready to go. Photo 2 is the bell shaped outside, but still solid. Photo 3 is applying some texture using The Decorating Elf. Photo 4 is the finished texturing. Photo 5 is the texturing "framed" using the long point of a small skew. Photo 6 shows the Ring Tool in position to start the hollowing. Photo 7 is the hollowed unpolished bell. Photo 8 is Photo 7 but with a light inside. Photo 9 is looking into the finished bell. Photo 10 is finished bell with ribbon and small screw eye for hanging. I do not put clappers inside my bells because I think that the dull thud somehow destroys the illusion of a bell when it is "rung". The two views of the Jacaranda bowl are of my latest bowl, 350mm diameter by 75mm deep and finished with 2 coats of Penetrol Wood Oil applied over 1 coat of sanding sealer.

376547 376548 376549 376550 376551376552 376553 376554 376555 376556 376558376557376559

Christos
12th April 2016, 01:56 PM
Have you used the ring tool for other inside turnings?

Never used a ring tool myself and I am thinking that this would give a better cut. Is it hard to control?

dougturner
12th April 2016, 10:19 PM
Christos, yes I have hollowed out a vase or two with it. The one thing I have decided is that, for me, the cut has to be made from the bottom to the top, and never the other direction, as I do lose control that way, but that may improve (for me) after a bit more practice. If I get it right, the inside can almost be left unsanded, but other times 180, 240, then 320 does the job. The Jacaranda vase attached was hollowed with the ring tool. It is about 200mm high. 376668 I haven't yet tried a vessel hollowed through a small opening. Thanks for looking.

Have you used the ring tool for other inside turnings?

Never used a ring tool myself and I am thinking that this would give a better cut. Is it hard to control?