PDA

View Full Version : How have you put your back out?

ozwinner
4th August 2005, 07:24 PM
Greetings Earthlings

I went to put on my boots this morning so I could go to work, same as usual, sat down to put them on.
Then WHAM.................wimper..................http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/3dlil/ugh.gif
BACK ATTACK!!!
I havent had a bad back attack for years.
So, off to the Chiro. I will be right as rain again tomorrow, I hope. :(
Lucky it was raining all day in Melbourne, so I would have had the day off anywho.

Al http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm/eek5.gif

JDarvall
4th August 2005, 07:55 PM
Yeh, once ....a long time ago..... trying to kiss my own Ars* . Wasn't pretty.

MajorPanic
4th August 2005, 07:55 PM
It usually happens while carrying bludging bastards at work!!!!

If you can't pull your own weight suicide is the #1 option!!!

(from Major who is having a few staff issues at the moment!!)

JDarvall
4th August 2005, 07:59 PM
It usually happens while carrying bludging bastards at work!!!!

If you can't pull your own weight suicide is the #1 option!!!

(from Major who is having a few staff issues at the moment!!)

You know what you all need.

Lolly pops. They solve all problems.

No kidding. Hand them out to the staff and have one yourself. Have a big belly laugh. They'll work harder because you won't look like such a cranky bugger........ :eek:

MajorPanic
4th August 2005, 08:04 PM

No kidding. Hand them out to the staff and have one yourself. Have a big belly laugh. They'll work harder because you won't look like such a cranky bugger........ :eek:
He might find it a bit hard to suck on a lolly pop when I've got my arm down his throat while I'm ripping out his lungs manually........ but who cares!!!

DavidG
4th August 2005, 08:17 PM
Too much info. You do not need to know but :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :rolleyes: ;) :p :p :p

JDarvall
4th August 2005, 08:36 PM
He might find it a bit hard to suck on a lolly pop when I've got my arm down his throat while I'm ripping out his lungs manually........ but who cares!!!

No, no.....Your going about sucking on a lollypop the wrong way. Go in from the opposite direction. Up his bum, and just suck on his nose..... you'll find he'll taste a lot nicer that way.

Caliban
4th August 2005, 08:37 PM
Someone need a hug? :D

ozwinner
4th August 2005, 08:39 PM
Yep!!, as soon as I can get these flaming boots off.

Al :(

fxst
4th August 2005, 08:53 PM
Yep!!, as soon as I can get these flaming boots off.

Al :(
get a chainsaw ... :D ...they come off easy then.......oops thats right.... crook back...oh well back to the drawing board
Pete
but take it easy Al its the only one ya got so take care

MajorPanic
4th August 2005, 09:21 PM
Not bloody likely!!

What I need is to see & smell is about 4ℓ of blood on the floor next to a certain employee who is looking very pale!!

outback
4th August 2005, 09:43 PM
Lemme guess, bad day at the office Major.

MajorPanic
4th August 2005, 09:50 PM
Lemme guess, bad day at the office Major. Nah Outback, what gives you that idea?

Tomorrow is another day :D......................
with any luck I'll have someone's resignation on my desk by COB :cool:

Caliban
4th August 2005, 10:03 PM
Major
Hang in there, mate.
Perhaps some dark side therapy. Plane away at a piece of silver ash until you feel better, perhaps a picture of offending employee to plane away at would help.
Will the old "Will this matter to me in ten years time" analogy work in this case?
You must need to bitcch about it or you wouldn't have mentioned it to us. Cathartic therapy. ;)
We love your posts and advice so just ignore us if this is pi33ing you off, we're just trying to be there for you. :o

Cliff Rogers
4th August 2005, 11:04 PM
I love my job, if it wasn't for the customers & the employees, it would be even better. :cool:

This must be the week for it, I run into a friend, about my age, who has several shopping centre trolley businesses up here & he was rounding up trolleys in the rain. I asked him how he was going. BIG mistake.... he sounded a bit like Major 'cos one of his trolley boys didn't show for work & didn't bother calling to say he wasn't coming (it was cold & wet) so the friend was out there rounding up trolleys him self. I suspect that the trolley boy is now out of a job.

Cliff Rogers
4th August 2005, 11:13 PM
Back (pun) to the question, sorry your thread got hijacked Al & no one is giving you any sympathy, I know what it's like, crook back that is, not lack of sympathy. :D

I actually put my back out throwing paper when I was 18. :eek:

I was unloading a pallet of paper for the RAAF school of Radio Library.
They had parked a pallet load of paper as close as they could get it to the door & a handful or troops had formed a bucket brigade to unload the paper into the library & onto the shelf. I was the first in the chain so I was picking up the catons & throwing them to the next bloke. As the pile worked down, I had to bend down further each time to get the next box. I was grabbing boxes & tossing them up & sideways to the next bloke without standing up first.... F'n snap. wam bam thank you mam, down I went in a pile of.... paper. Hospital for a week, haven't been the same since. :(

journeyman Mick
4th August 2005, 11:20 PM
How have I put my back out? Oh let me count the ways :(
1) walking along with a scaffolding plank on one shoulder, it started tipping forward so I shrugged my shoulder to shift it back in mid stride - crunch!, was in pain for a few months.
2) got forced off the road and clipped by a drunk driver, my car rolled 3 times :eek: gave me a permanent weak point in my lower back which gives intermittent pain.
3) 2 of us lifting a steel girder truss onto a scaffold - exceeded my SWL crunch!, got a bulging disc from that one.
4) bent down to pick something up one day and lower back went out on strike for about 20 minutes, couldn't straighten out and there was no one around :(

There's probably more, but if there's one thing worse than my back it's my memory :o Hang in there Al! and seriously, find something else to do, my neighbour (blocklayer) has just had surgery on both his shoulders, you don;t want to stay on the tools past your use by date.

Mick

joez
4th August 2005, 11:48 PM
I put my back out once by sneezing!!!! Boy was that a bad week, my wisdom teeth also decided to come out that same week. :(

Joe

JDarvall
5th August 2005, 12:19 AM
Nah Outback, what gives you that idea?

Tomorrow is another day :D......................
with any luck I'll have someone's resignation on my desk by COB :cool:

Why wait for him to resign ? If your the boss, why don't you just fire him ?

Or ,,,,,is it the truth he's just to valuable ?

Not to blow my own trumpet, but I don't stuff around at work, not because I want to be the bosses pet, but because I hate my job that much I just want to get it done, so I can get the **** out of there as soon as possible.

So I crapstirr my boss heavily all the time. Love it. Because I don't care if I loose my job or not, and I know he knows just how hard it is to find someone willing to do such a **** job. Love watching this complete tight ars* get all hot and bothered, like he's going to explode when I stirr him. One day he's going to throw a punch. And when that happens, I'll have every excuse in the world to let him have it... :D

But your not like my boss , are you Major. I can tell, your sort of bloke who keeps his cool. The sort of bloke that resolves disputes with lollypops.

Ashore
5th August 2005, 12:32 AM
Lucky it was raining all day in Melbourne, so I would have had the day off anywho.
Al http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm/eek5.gifLucky it was raining in melbourne, you mean that sometimes it dosen't,
By the way , like the brides nighty.

Useless infomation for the day

Alexander Graham Bell's wife and mother were both deaf .

Iain
5th August 2005, 09:05 AM
Back on topic, carting a 40kg bag of concrete on the wheelbarrow, taking it off, barrow tips, and I grab the bag, yowee, gotcha.
Couldn't bend sit or sleep for a week :(

RufflyRustic
5th August 2005, 09:19 AM
Sitting skewed on the lounge, relaxing on the lounge in a wierd position - no I was by myself :rolleyes: - woke up the next morning still skewed, couldn't turn my head back to straight, yeeeeoooooowwww! double that when I went to the chiropractor to get straightened. have since re-arranged the lounge.
RufflyRustic

Gumby
5th August 2005, 09:39 AM
Al, the Chiro did nothing for mine. If it goes, I go to the Osteo - he's a bloody genius and fixes it straight away.

flea1607
5th August 2005, 10:22 AM
Trying to open the lid of the scrap bucket :eek: Chiro is a miracle worker

silentC
5th August 2005, 11:00 AM
Stepped onto a train once and my neck went 'ping'.

Got out of the building industry because of a bad back. Lifted a couple of acros onto my shoulder once and the lower back crunched. Started going to a chiro but was getting withdrawal symptoms if I hadn't had the back cracked for a couple of days, so I stopped. Osteo had a go at it a couple of years later but never did any good.

It plays up every now and then but works itself out eventually. About once or twice a year it gets so bad I can't sit down. Only lasts for a day or two. Usually when there's something I really want to get done.

Dr Dee
5th August 2005, 11:03 AM
25 years ago building an extension to the then house. Had welded up a clearspan beam and was trying to get it into place myself when 3 people were required (young & indestructable = stupid). Bang - herniated L4/L5 disc (low back). Took ages to fix and has always been a problem since.

Last year sitting in front of one of these keyboard driven machine - piece of paper fell to floor - leant over sideways to pick it up - bang.

Paper is really dangerous stuff - picked a fresh piece the other day and it ran through the webbing between my middle fingers - sliced in a surprisingly long way and bled for ages. Very sore and slow to heal - I think it leaves micro fibres in there which inhibit healing. Sympathy ??

Watch out for paper.
cheers

Paper Artist
5th August 2005, 11:07 AM
Yes, paper cut is occupational hazard. People not realise, paper very dangerous in wrong hand. You leave to professional!!

ozwinner
5th August 2005, 06:37 PM
I wasnt looking for sympathy, dont give it, dont expect it.

Went to Chiro again today as the tighness had eased, he set my mind at ease by telling me I might have a bulger.

Ill show him. ;)

Al :eek:

MajorPanic
5th August 2005, 07:46 PM
Why wait for him to resign ? If your the boss, why don't you just fire him ?

Or ,,,,,is it the truth he's just to valuable ?
But your not like my boss , are you Major. I can tell, your sort of bloke who keeps his cool. The sort of bloke that resolves disputes with lollypops.
To be able to fire him he needs to, (A) steal, or (B) throw a punch, or (C) abuse a customer!
It's OK though he thinks I'm fair in my dealings......... (he is not real bright! :D)
Our orginisation has 33,000 employees. So firing someone is extremely hard work!!

Todays news:

Oummmmmmmm, the universe is a wonderful place.... be at one with yourself!!!! my back feels better already!! :D :D :D :D :D
Arrived @ work today to find a neatly hand written resignation on my desk.
Oummmmmmmm............. :cool: :D :D :D :D

Auld Bassoon
5th August 2005, 07:56 PM

Similar. I use muffins & coffee. If the team's not working well together (or with a different group), and I can't cajole them into behaving as a team with a common objective, I take the whole bunch out for muffins & coffee (or similar).

Works most of the time, because everyone gets to know about each other's issues & whatnot.

If it doesn't work, I just calmly suggest that they might like to explain to my boss why stuff isn't happening. That's generally enough to get even the most recalcitrant s&d onto the right trackhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif:eek:http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheers!

bsrlee
5th August 2005, 08:25 PM
Most recently? Stepping out of the shower! I've also done it stepping out of the bath at a friend's house - just before we were to go camping for a week :o

It started when I was in Primary School - I slipped on a wet floor & damaged the muscles in my lower back - staff wouldn't believe me & made me sit thru' the day & carry my books etc home - I had 2 weeks off on doctor's orders. I've had intermittant problems ever since.

It is really inconvenient when I have put it out with all my gear out in the open - I have to work in the yard & my gear lives in a lawn shed.

Pat
5th August 2005, 10:38 PM
I did my back driving IRB's (Inflatable Rubber Boats - Rubber Duckies) at the age of Seventeen - young, dumb and bullet proof. Earned quiet a repretation for taking anything on (ratbag), MBGitW told her kids never to get in the boat with me! Now, when my back decides I have sleeped, layed down, exercised, stood, whatever to much, it goes on strike for 1 min to days. I have not been to medical aid as I know how to fix the bugger - do the opposite of what you were doing!

Ian007
5th August 2005, 11:15 PM
Our orginisation has 33,000 employees. So firing someone is extremely hard work!!

My guess would be Telstra?

Clinton1
5th August 2005, 11:54 PM
I did my L4/L5 picking up a generator and throwing it - in a hissy fit.:o Two man lift does not mean one angry man.
Solved my workplace 'task allocations' dispute... for about 5 mins.
Then I had to spend the next two weeks faking perfect health so I didn't look like a goose that threw his back out by having a hissy fit. :D
Two years later and I regret it every day. Now I'm the bloke that says "don't lift it like that, you'll hurt your back...."
Muscle relaxants help, and make me sleepy, happy, and feel very nice - even when I feel like being a grumpy pri#k

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th August 2005, 01:36 AM
Some 15 years operating 'dozers & excavators in the bush to pay for my toys. Having a '45 Harley as sole means of transport didn't help, either. No more suspension in it than in one of da dozers and there ain't much difference between a cats' eye at speed or travelling over a tree trunk at walking pace. Both keep chiropractors employed.

At the time I was more concerned about the ol' kidneys. Trust me to take precautions against the wrong thing. :(

Still have the Harley, BTW. And the kidney belt. Don't have most of the toys...

Robert34
6th August 2005, 02:17 AM
Some 15 years operating 'dozers & excavators in the bush to pay for my toys. Having a '45 Harley as sole means of transport didn't help, either. No more suspension in it than in one of da dozers and there ain't much difference between a cats' eye at speed or travelling over a tree trunk at walking pace. Both keep chiropractors employed.

At the time I was more concerned about the ol' kidneys. Trust me to take precautions against the wrong thing. :(

Still have the Harley, BTW. And the kidney belt. Don't have most of the toys...
Don'tcha just luv those old Harley's. :D :D

Robert34

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th August 2005, 12:15 AM
Don'tcha just luv those old Harley's. :D :D
They were real men in those days. Or just bloody stupid. http://members.optusnet.com.au/~amcardle60/Smilies/innocent.gif

JDarvall
8th August 2005, 05:42 AM
I did my L4/L5 picking up a generator and throwing it - in a hissy fit.:o Two man lift does not mean one angry man.
Solved my workplace 'task allocations' dispute... for about 5 mins.
Then I had to spend the next two weeks faking perfect health so I didn't look like a goose that threw his back out by having a hissy fit. :D
Two years later and I regret it every day. Now I'm the bloke that says "don't lift it like that, you'll hurt your back...."
Muscle relaxants help, and make me sleepy, happy, and feel very nice - even when I feel like being a grumpy pri#k

Feel for you that your still having problems 2 years latter.

At work, I do tonns of lifting. I did my back in when I first started. Hated it too much I've taken the rules of 'bending my knees' to the extreme. The rule now is

if your thighs arn't burning, screeming 'STOP' then your not bending your knees enough.

Seems to have worked. I haven't had a back problem since. But I looked pretty bloody funny for a while to my work mates. I'm a lanky bloke, with long legs, so when I bend down in that way with my bum jutting out I must look like some kind of nutter grasshopper, trying to **** a fly. :rolleyes:

But I don't care, I say, because my 'backs intact'.

Munga
8th August 2005, 06:56 AM
Few years ago I had the gates on my truck fall on me bust my back ended up with 3 vertibrae screwed together told not to lift anything heavy and retire, bank disagreed with that idea so carried on regardless (taking care though) then had my mates tractor dissassembled to replace the main PTO shaft went to roll the gearbox over Wham back gone again into hospital another disc Laminectomy and received many lectures about listening to advice from doctors.

Ears are wide open now.

Cliff when were you at rad school.

Cheers Arch

Dusty
8th August 2005, 09:04 AM
I know what your going through, Al.

I've done mine several times and twice been carted out of building sites by ambo's. Not pretty.

Since then, every time I lift I put on one of those back braces, like the ones worn by Bunnings employees. This has made a huge difference and its been years now since a bad back attack.

Although, as is the case with Al, it's not always doing something heavy that throws it out. I once saw my brother-in -law do his back picking up the TV remote control. The big girl. :cool:

Cliff Rogers
8th August 2005, 05:50 PM
...Cliff when were you at rad school....
105 RTC Dec'76 to Apr'78 & then No5 Minicomputer Postgrad from Aug'79 to Apr'80.

Stuart
8th August 2005, 06:01 PM
weightlifting - more a muscle tear
jumping down sanddunes
doing headsprings (what we could do when we were younger......)
sneezing
sex

JDarvall
8th August 2005, 08:44 PM
weightlifting - more a muscle tear
jumping down sanddunes
doing headsprings (what we could do when we were younger......)
sneezing
sex

Sex !!! What position was that ? :eek:

Did you do your back in attempting some kind of weird Karma Sutra headstanding position. Oh, I get it, you were doing headsprings (what are they exactly) while having sex. yes ? :p

Wassy
9th August 2005, 10:24 AM
I have full sympathy for all back sufferers. 11 years ago I fell from a 2 storey (7 m) building and broke L2, L3, L4 and L5. I have had to learn my new limits and whilst I stay within the residual pain is minimal. Once in a while I do something stupid (like helping a mate move house) and I suffer for a couple of weeks.

Back care: one of the best insurance policies we can make.

Cheers,
Mat.

Wassy
9th August 2005, 10:25 AM
My guess would be Telstra?
Did he say employees or contractors? :rolleyes:

Stuart
9th August 2005, 12:31 PM
Sex !!! What position was that ? :eek:

Did you do your back in attempting some kind of weird Karma Sutra headstanding position. Oh, I get it, you were doing headsprings (what are they exactly) while having sex. yes ? :p
http://www.magazine.com.pk/entertainment/jokes/animated/big/wow.gif