PDA

View Full Version : Pen Press

Babytoolman
4th August 2005, 09:57 PM
Hi all,
Anyone use a pen press? Did you create one? How about some home made jigs for this forum? I have been using a big vice and i am looking to make a press to use so any ideas would be great.

Roger

Sir Stinkalot
4th August 2005, 10:02 PM
My pen press is a rubber mallet and a block of wood ;)

DavidG
4th August 2005, 10:42 PM
I use the triton super jaws as my pen press.

Got both hands free to hold every thing.

Go gentle though.

tonysa
4th August 2005, 10:50 PM
ditto Sir Stinkalot's method, although I have seen screw type of clamps used

Vasco
4th August 2005, 10:53 PM
I use a bold which I have attached a small piece of wood to the head then put it in my drill press.

Kind regards
Vasco

barryr
5th August 2005, 12:27 AM
only done one , it was in my metal lathe , I closed the front chuck jaws and then used the tailstock as the pen press .worked fine.

ugly
22nd September 2005, 11:35 PM
Use a drill press with a bolt (head down) in the same way.

Ugly.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd September 2005, 12:17 AM
Gotta agree with Barryr... usually if you turned the pen you've got a lathe with a tailstock. Use it! :D

bdar
24th September 2005, 12:42 AM
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the info on the soccer ball clips, found a guy in town that did a trade for some fishing and rifle clips but I will contact CWS. For a how to do plan for a pen press, there is a site called http://woodturningonline.com go to wood turning projects on the left side bar then click on pens.

Cheers

Darren

JackoH
24th September 2005, 10:43 AM
Turn up a couple of plugs to fit into the head and tailstock of your lathe and use the wheel like a vice to wind them in .
Works a treat and very useful if like me you occasionally demonstrate pen making in public.

Ian007
24th September 2005, 11:49 AM
I use one of these and it works a treat

Captain Chaos
24th September 2005, 06:41 PM
Turn up a couple of plugs to fit into the head and tailstock of your lathe and use the wheel like a vice to wind them in .
Works a treat and very useful if like me you occasionally demonstrate pen making in public.
G,day Roger,
I use Jacks suggestion with the addition of a short piece of 1/4" rod epoxied into the headstock plug to locate the pen body tube assy. whilst fitting the nib end & the clip & plug. I've also glued a smaller piece of wire about1/2" out from the 1/4" rod to locate the retractor mechanism. I can hold the pen barrel with one hand & operate the tailstock wheel with the other to control the depth that the mechanism is pushed into the barrel. Just wind the inner threaded sleeve of the mechanism out until it it flush with the end of the outer body of the mechanism when fitting or it will crush.:eek:
Take good care,
Barry.

Babytoolman
26th September 2005, 09:07 AM
Hi All,

Fantastic response from you all and i have looked at all the different ways and i will be making one tonight.

Thanks for the advice it is very well received.

Roger

Ruffy
26th September 2005, 12:49 PM
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the info on the soccer ball clips, found a guy in town that did a trade for some fishing and rifle clips but I will contact CWS. For a how to do plan for a pen press, there is a site called http://woodturningonline.com (http://woodturningonline.com/) go to wood turning projects on the left side bar then click on pens.

Cheers

Darren

Made one of these myself - it works a treat, cut up one of SWMBO's :cool: old chopping boards (the white plasticy type ones) and hot glued 2 bits to the ends of the press that push against the pens. When they wear out simple to tap off with a small hammer and replace with new ones.