PDA

View Full Version : Is claret ash any good for turning

Wood Collector
25th November 2015, 06:08 PM
I was wondering if claret ash is a good wood to turn?. I have one piece but can get my hands on some more if it is a good wood to turn.
Cheers WC

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th November 2015, 06:41 PM
Yes. Yes it is. :)

Wood Collector
25th November 2015, 07:09 PM
okay, I will try to get my neighbour to hold the other logs so that they don't go to the tip tomorrow. If any other wood turners want some their are 3 logs 2 about 2m long 150-180mm diameter at a guess and the other 600mm long 150-180mm diameter so feel free to message meC.I can get more accurate measurements if needed. Cheers WC

issatree
25th November 2015, 07:39 PM
Hi Wood Collector,
One of the great woods to turn.
Makes Great Chisel Handles.
Great Grain, Turns well, Finishes well, & looks Splendiferous.
A bit white in colour with a darkish grain.

Wood Collector
25th November 2015, 07:57 PM
the grain and yellow/white colour was what caught my eye when I was cutting some of the logs up.

RedShirtGuy
26th November 2015, 12:54 AM
A very good while ago (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=136948&highlight=claret+ash) I took down the Claret Ash in our front yard and got some great "affirmative" advice from the forum. So yes...it's lovely.

Just recently I've started making a bench seat out of it (pics to come in a few days when I've finished)...oh my goodness!!!...it's freakin' beautiful stuff!! I wish I had more lengths of it :(

I've still got a bunch of turning "logs" (paint sealed) sitting around for when I eventually get a lathe and expect the results to be absolutely stunning (aside from my crap turning abilities ;) )

Go for it...spin away :)

Wood Collector
26th November 2015, 10:01 PM
As my wood store is full I can't collect the other logs so if any one wants them they are free to a good home just message me with some contact details and I will pass them on to my neighbour. Cheer WC

Drillit
27th November 2015, 08:55 AM
Hello Wood Collector,
I would like to take some for Hornsby Woodturners (& me), if you have any left. I live at Normanhurst.
Please let me know if still available and I will private e/m you. Drillit.