PDA

View Full Version : bush fires and rain

hughie
28th November 2015, 10:20 AM
Spent the morning finishing a few pieces off one I left in the sun briefly while I got on with the rest. Unbeknownst to me we had a sun shower, not really a problem as the piece has had two coats of DO and they are dry............ I thought, but the rain had ash with it and it stained the Maple and so far it has resisted all my efforts to remove it, including washing it with meths
So its back to sanding and its an awkward one to sand :C

wheelinround
28th November 2015, 01:36 PM
Oh Crap............however its now carbon dated LOL

NCArcher
28th November 2015, 01:42 PM
It is a pretty unique finish. One of a kind even. Must be worth heaps more. :U

Paul39
28th November 2015, 03:13 PM
so far it has resisted all my efforts to remove it, including washing it with meths

Ouch, that would break my heart.

Is meths wood alcohol? If so that may not dissolve the DO.

Metho is also a handy solvent for cleaning applications such as removing water based paint.

See: http://www.diamondspirit.net/adunk/metho.html

The solvent in the DO should soften the surface enough to get the ash off. Have you tried wetting a roughish cloth with DO and rubbing hard?

You might try mineral spirits and then lacquer thinner.

I hope you can get the ash off without sanding.

Phily
28th November 2015, 09:31 PM
Arrrggghhhh, that would be frustrating after all that hand carving. How about ebonising it with a bit of rusty vinegar. If it doesn't look so good (on a small area), sand it back - which is what you were going to do anyway!! Just a thought

keltrader
29th November 2015, 07:54 AM
Just call it "tiger maple" [emoji197][emoji12]

hughie
29th November 2015, 09:44 AM
Ouch, that would break my heart.

Is meths wood alcohol? If so that may not dissolve the DO.

Metho is also a handy solvent for cleaning applications such as removing water based paint.

See: http://www.diamondspirit.net/adunk/metho.html

The solvent in the DO should soften the surface enough to get the ash off. Have you tried wetting a roughish cloth with DO and rubbing hard?

You might try mineral spirits and then lacquer thinner.

I hope you can get the ash off without sanding.

Meths = DNA, I have tried acetone, nitrocellulose thinner and Mineral Turps, along with some rough rubbing but not with DO :2tsup: that just might work.
What I have also done is started making a special sanding head to get in there to help with the task. Its a fairly restricted area inside, some of it is just out of reach of my fingers and of course thats were the bulk is :U .It will fit on/in my power drill which solves one problem and may cause another :U.

hughie
29th November 2015, 09:45 AM
It is a pretty unique finish. One of a kind even. Must be worth heaps more. :U

I wish.

hughie
29th November 2015, 09:47 AM
Arrrggghhhh, that would be frustrating after all that hand carving. How about ebonising it with a bit of rusty vinegar. If it doesn't look so good (on a small area), sand it back - which is what you were going to do anyway!! Just a thought

Plan B if the first lot fails, dunno how the ebonising will take after two coats of DO... another challenge :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th November 2015, 10:47 AM
Bummer.

AT least you have a fitting title for it: "I've seen fire and I've seen rain..." ;)

hughie
29th November 2015, 12:33 PM
Bummer.

AT least you have a fitting title for it: "I've seen fire and I've seen rain..." ;)

lol love it

smiife
29th November 2015, 04:37 PM
Hi hughie,
I don, t mind the darker bits,,,,,, you could always
send it to me :U:U:U.......if you are not happy with it :o