PDA

View Full Version : The owner said "Take these machines or Im going to scrap them"

auscab
29th November 2015, 11:14 PM
The weekend of the 21st 22nd and Monday the 23rd was a big one for shifting machines .
First off, on the Saturday, Matty and I went and picked up a Lacey sander and a Wadkin EQ moulder that we bought and had been trucked down from NSW . We dropped the moulder at my place and the sander at Matty's. I'm wrapped to finally get a Wadkin EQ , it has a power feed and will be taking over the job from a Jet I have been using for the last ten years and started falling apart three months after I bought it, the spindle lock fell to pieces and the switch was crap and giving me trouble .
Ive never used a power feed and am looking forward to it . I just did a job on the Jet and had to run plenty of hours of different mouldings on it . I was thinking as I was feeding how nice a power feed would be for this. much safer as well, and anything that improves the finish by being consistent with the feed is going to be a time saver with mouldings , I cant wait !

Then on the Sunday we drove out of town an hour to pick up some machinery that the owner was giving away , otherwise he was scraping it . This doesn't happen to often ! Free woodworking Machines !!
I was offered the Wolfenden Rip saw , I would not have really wanted one of these saws, but because I'm moving from a workshop with no space , and setting up a new one on a farm with plenty of space .
And because I have all sorts of fencing and Gates and workshop building ahead of me , it made sense to grab it for some large ripping that I will be doing. It has a monster of a 15 Hp motor with it and the blade is about 22 Inch , I didn't measure it, the machine may take a larger one ?
Matty grabbed the Wolfenden thicknesser , 20 inch cut , with a square head , and we also grabbed the Hyco 6" buzzer for our friend Jacob .

Then Monday I loaded the Wadkin moulder back on the trailer , with the Wolfenden Rip saw and a double disc sander,and left Melbourne for a three hour trip to Sth Gippsland to where I'm moving , in an attempt to unload before dark and return in the morning . It almost went to plan and was a good lesson on when to get out of Melbourne to avoid peak hour traffic on a freeway .

Three days of shifting machines and I was feeling it on Tuesday and Wednesday!!

Here is a load of pictures , lots of the EQ, it's a 60S machine , Green paint then, not Grey . Two speeds and reverse . And they were still using Buffalo horn Handles then !

Rob

cava
30th November 2015, 01:41 AM
Congratulations. Good score. :2tsup:

jcge
30th November 2015, 09:13 AM
Great bunch of machines there Rob !!
John

woodlogic
30th November 2015, 10:14 PM
Nice find, Rob. And for free, very impressive! There seems to be quite a lot of Wolfenden machinery in Victoria. Was Melbourne a main distribution centre for Wolfenden machinery?

elanjacobs
30th November 2015, 10:42 PM
Matty grabbed the Wolfenden thicknesser , 20 inch cut , with a square head
No surprises there, I don't think that guy would work with anything newer than a square head :p

auscab
30th November 2015, 11:00 PM
Nice find, Rob. And for free, very impressive! There seems to be quite a lot of Wolfenden machinery in Victoria. Was Melbourne a main distribution centre for Wolfenden machinery?

It was made in Melbourne . At different locations at times. I think there is a thread somewhere here on the story of the Wolfenden make and the brothers that ran it . Rob

KBs PensNmore
30th November 2015, 11:21 PM
Any wood working tools are great, when you're told TAKE THEM AWAY it's even better:2tsup:
Kryn

Vann
1st December 2015, 01:53 AM
...the EQ, it's a 60S machine, Green paint then, not Grey... And they were still using Buffalo horn Handles then !

EQ 2250, Test No. 68281, of 1963.

Nice haul Rob (& Matty).

Cheers, Vann.

GarciaJ
1st December 2015, 01:49 PM
Wow! Jealous... So are you going to restore them or sell them.or what?

Sent from my C5302 using Tapatalk

auscab
1st December 2015, 02:18 PM
The Wadkin Moulder and the lacey sander are users ,I may Buff up the Wadkin a Little and see how long the bearings keep going for before they need replacing .
Not sure if Matty's going to restore the sander , It looks pretty good though.

The Wolfenden Rip saw will just get a de rusting and a buff up as well , It will just be used for ripping up large stuff for fencing, Gates or landscaping type woodwork , which I will have plenty to do .

The 6inch Hyco buzzer is a friends , not sure why he wants such a machine , He probably has someone lined up that needs it.

The Wolfenden thicknesser is the only thing that doesn't have a home yet, as far as I know. Matty is talking to someone about that

Rob

Glencross
7th December 2015, 09:21 PM
G'day Rob

Some nice pieces you have there. I'm looking for a thicknesser in the New Year if you've got any hot leads. Just moved into a bigger workshop in Thomastown.
Heard on the grapevine recently that you are moving the workshop. Moving is a prick of a thing, and pretty relieving to get settled again (albeit gradually). Will try to drop in before the year is out if I can.
All the best, Julian

auscab
7th December 2015, 11:28 PM
G'day Rob

Some nice pieces you have there. I'm looking for a thicknesser in the New Year if you've got any hot leads. Just moved into a bigger workshop in Thomastown.
Heard on the grapevine recently that you are moving the workshop. Moving is a prick of a thing, and pretty relieving to get settled again (albeit gradually). Will try to drop in before the year is out if I can.
All the best, Julian

Hi Julian , It will be good to catch up , hope to see you .
Yeah I have a big move to do , I'm looking forward to the change though . Just not all the cast iron shifting, but ill pick away at it and then have one last big haul with a truck possibly .
Instead of looking out the window at the ladies shopping ill be looking at cows , cant wait :)

I did know you were looking for a thicknesser , do you want heavy old square head 3 phase though ? or lighter single phase round head . Id imagine the latter ? Ill be interested to hear how your wanting to set up the new space .

These turn up quite a bit .

Jeffwood Thicknesser | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jeffwood-Thicknesser-/151907056244?hash=item235e5dba74:g:-RUAAOSw5ZBWKd4s)

I used to make every thing on a 12" square head.
I only remember having one bad kickback that hit me , I don't think I ever stood behind it again after that !!:rolleyes: let alone look into it when the wood gets stuck.

Rob

auscab
8th December 2015, 07:04 PM
Julian , I knew I saw one closer in Melbourne , there's one over there !! tucked in mid left :D

I don't remember the price .

Rob

auscab
8th December 2015, 07:09 PM
Before you ask.:)

I'm pretty sure it's a Jeffwood as well .

Rob

DaveTTC
8th December 2015, 07:16 PM
Im not going green one little bit

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

clear out
9th December 2015, 06:49 AM
G'day Rob

All the best, Julian

I have a lead on a 24inch 60s German thicknesser up here in Sydney.
Its a 4 knife round cutter head with its own sharpening grinder.
Be coming up in January. I used it for 11 years maybe 20 hours use in that time.
The rest of its life was as sedentary.
H.

L.S.Barker1970
13th December 2015, 01:01 PM
No surprises there, I don't think that guy would work with anything newer than a square head :p

Hey hey hey come on Elan !
I do have Clam shell heads on all 3 of my jointers you know !!
(insert funny looking smile face here)

This Lacey sander that I purchased with many thanks to Rob, I am very happy with, also to finally find one in good working order and some one willing to sell too.
But before this one came up I had been looking for some time now and had spotted one in a work shop that had not been used for 20 years or more.
The old boy there had said yes 5 years ago and I should of struck while the iron was hot, many visits to his shop later he had stalled on the deal and I didn't want to push him.
Then a few months ago one turned up at Dalesford for free, it had been in a fire and then left out side to rust, I grabbed it any way, desperation perhaps some sense of saving the poor thing from scrap.
And weeks later Rob comes across this one when looking for his EQ, thanks for asking Mick, Rob and thanks to Mick for the sale and for organizing the machines.

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/matty355181/image-220_zpse7zejiuj.jpg
This is the sander that went through a fire, I'm still going to restore it, as its such a handy machine.
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/matty355180/image-219_zpshysii0dx.jpg
Here's the new sander in action !!
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/matty355180/image-218_zpsfspraula.jpg

The Wolfenden thicknesser, well thats another story, when some one says its all going to scrap and he has the back hoe there and your trailer is backed up, well what's a bloke to do ?!
Haven't found a home for this little orphan yet, I think a mate of mine is interested but he's not sure about his space or where to put it.
It can stay out in the yard for now, might just tidy it up a little and make sure it all works.

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/matty355180/image-216_zpstm872mhl.jpg
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/matty355180/image-217_zpsjfyhot2f.jpg
Melbourne Matty.

elanjacobs
13th December 2015, 01:06 PM
Hey hey hey come on Elan !
I do have Clam shell heads on all 3 of my jointers you know !!
(insert funny looking smile face here)
Hehe, well it's a step in the right direction. I'll get you onto helical heads one day :p

That's a great looking sander, wish we had something at work with a table instead of freehanding everything on a linisher/drum sander, but freehand is a great skill to develop