PDA

View Full Version : VL240 differences to VL300

rtyuiop
7th December 2015, 11:30 AM
Hi folks,

I am daydreaming about upgrading my lathe sometime next year (probably can't justify it, but it's a fun daydream!), and hoping someone can explain the differences between the VL240 and VL300 SM? They're pretty close in price.

The main differences I can spot are the extra swing over bed for the 300, and a rotating headstock on the 240. Seems odd to have two such similar spec lathes in the range for a small company, but I'm sure Vicmarc knows something, or many things, that I don't!

Cheers,

Danny

turnerted
7th December 2015, 03:52 PM
Danny
I think the VL240 is a more versatile machine , unless you think you will need to swing a lump of wood 600mm diam..At least that's why I bought one.
Ted

rtyuiop
8th December 2015, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I think in the unlikely event I decide I have sufficient funds for a lathe upgrade, it's looking like it'll be a VL240. I'm a bit disturbed about how many of the accessories seem like a really good idea, it could turn into a very expensive upgrade!

turnerted
8th December 2015, 03:45 PM
Keep an eye on Timberbits website . He has very good specials from time to time .I think mine was discounted about 20% at the time .
Ted

Woodturnerjosh
8th December 2015, 10:30 PM
I have the 240 and there are some advantages and disadvantages.
The swivel head gives great access to hollow and undercut bowl forms without requiring the space to set up outboard turning on a 300.
If woodturning is a hobby it is a very versatile and capable machine.

Downsides
If you plan on doing a lot of bowl coring and centre saving you'll find you will get more vibration from a swivel or sliding head lathe (this is agreed upon by a few large output production bowl turners, I'm not sure how much it actually matters though)
The 240 bed extensions are significantly more expensive than the 300 (and I would definitely buy one for the 240...I love mine)

If I had the money and space to set up a VL300ASM with an extra 500mm bed set up outboard I would go down that path but I really can't complain with my 240 as it's done everything I've asked of it. The 30 degree indent is just fantastic! Easy to set up and doesn't require much extra room!

Willy Nelson
9th December 2015, 01:11 AM
Nope!
You guys have it all wrong.
I must buy the VL600 when it is released......................one day......please Vic... my Durden isn't getting any younger
Willy
Jarrahland

rtyuiop
9th December 2015, 09:27 AM
Thinking about it I could probably fit the VL300 with a little rearrangement... But that screams overkill for a hobbyist!

rtyuiop
14th December 2015, 09:53 AM
After a chat to the always helpful David Drescher out at his shop last week I think I've come around to the VL300... Mainly because while the swivel head would be convenient for very large items, I figure that turning something so big it won't fit inboard on the 300 is likely to be so unusual I can move the lathe on those rare occasions and turn outboard on the 300.

Now just to wait and if my finances line up next year.

Woodturnerjosh
14th December 2015, 05:34 PM
If I was buying again (or should I say when?) and I had the space I would definitely get the VL300 (but not the lighter duty one)

Mobyturns
15th December 2015, 07:00 AM
Hi folks,

I am daydreaming about upgrading my lathe sometime next year (probably can't justify it, but it's a fun daydream!), and hoping someone can explain the differences between the VL240 and VL300 SM? They're pretty close in price.

The main differences I can spot are the extra swing over bed for the 300, and a rotating headstock on the 240. Seems odd to have two such similar spec lathes in the range for a small company, but I'm sure Vicmarc knows something, or many things, that I don't!

Cheers,

Danny

Daydreaming is fine, but you also have to be a little pragmatic about these things as well. Having a lathe capable of turning the occasional 600 mm dia platter or lazy Susan is fine but if the vast majority of your work small boxes etc then a VL300 will get tiresome, moving a very banjo / tool post; consuming far more electricity than necessary etc.

I already had an older Woodfast M908 retrofitted with the M910 motor & VFD; and a tiring Nova Mercury when I was looking at a replacement for the Mercury. I was sorely tempted to purchase the VL240 but finally settled for the VL150. Most of my work is small work - the VL150 is excellent and still sort of portable at 65 kgs. Its not a mini & it can't do big work but it is a very pleasurable lathe to work on for the 98% of the work I do. I perhaps cart it around to Prosserpine and maybe one or two other events per year, where I can get help to load / unload it etc. The excellent Woodfast M908 is feeling neglected now. :D

rtyuiop
15th December 2015, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I turn more bowls than anything else, so think the trade off makes sense in this case. Would like to keep the VL150 (I agree, it's a beautiful piece of machinery), but I don't have the space, and I'll probably only find the funds for an upgrade if I sell it.

Mobyturns
15th December 2015, 04:37 PM
Makes sense in your case then. Hard decision VL240 or VL300? Glad its you & not me. :D

hughie
16th December 2015, 05:13 AM
interesting thread, for me the 300 is the go, but I can see the 240 is becoming more attractive as I view the future. I think the bottom line either one will do just fine and it really a very personal choice to separate them. I have friends who have gone one way or the other on this question only to wonder later if.... :U I just ask them 'what is the difference that matters to you' and most just smile as they cant quite put their finger on it :D So enjoy, its a fine marque its up there with the worlds best.

rsser
16th December 2015, 10:19 AM
If you want to do a lot of long spindles the 300 long bed is the obvious way to go. With bowls on that you're obviously going to be either turning over the bed - which is on the awkward side - or outboard in which case you need a stand so you won't be doing quick tool rest shifts with one hand. The stand or a tripod weighs quite a bit and will give you a workout.

If you want both and don't expect to do a lot of big bowls then hunt down a recent 2nd hand 175.

As Hughie says, it's a fine marque. The lathes do a fine job of what they're intended to do. Eg tailstock boring is accurate and easy as there's little slop in the 'train'.

Woodturnerjosh
16th December 2015, 05:57 PM
These images show the advantages that I see in the VL240 especially when space is at a premium (as it is for me).
The first pic shows the gouge entry angle for an undercut (calabash style) form and this is where the 30 degree indent is fantastic. This is a very comfortable position to stand in for these cuts, and with the 300 you would need to set up an outboard tool rest or outboard bed extension and unless you have the space to leave it set up it would take a lot longer than loosening the headstock and swivelling it.
I thought a short bed lathe would be the answer to this but even when I swivel the headstock, i was forever removing the tailstock (before I got the bed extension) as it constantly got in my way. I also found that the short bed was just too short for things like making tool handles. So with the bed extension you have 1 metre between centres and then you can easily swivel the headstock for a more comfortable stance when hollowing.
As I sated early there are still downsides (to both systems) e.g. you can't swing 400mm over the banjo on the 240
You know what? I think you should just buy both! ;)

rtyuiop
17th December 2015, 08:16 AM
Thanks Josh - that really helps visualise the upside of the 240!

rsser
17th December 2015, 08:27 AM
Another difference is that a swivel-head lathe will make more demands on the stand. I've had three models and only one stand, that I had made, was really steady with the blank swung out. This isn't such a big issue as rockin and rollin happens early in the process of bowl turning when you're truing up and also often just a change in speed will substantially reduce the vibes.

Pat
17th December 2015, 08:23 PM
Or look at the Stubby that's in the Market Place . . . :q

Woodturnerjosh
17th December 2015, 08:35 PM
Or look at the Stubby that's in the Market Place . . . :q

If I only had the space.....

Pat
17th December 2015, 08:39 PM
If I only had the space.....

Space and money . . .

Woodturnerjosh
17th December 2015, 08:41 PM
Space and money . . .

yeah, that money stuff might come in handy :)

rtyuiop
18th December 2015, 07:31 AM
Yeah, I won't have the money for a few months (if ever). Although if that stubby was in Brisbane I would definitely be taking a look!

rtyuiop
15th February 2016, 06:07 PM
As it turns out, my finances came good this month and I decided on a 300 - but really only because I found a lightly used one available, so the price difference to the 240 was quite significant.

issatree
16th February 2016, 12:42 AM
Hi All,
You will find this surprising, But our Mens Shed were after a VL !75, but we were to late as they are not making them anymore.
So we bought a VL 300.
Now we only meet Wed. & Fri. & that Lathe does not get worked very much, as you wood expect.
Turned everything on one morning, OK.
Went to change speeds, wood not slow down.
Turned all off again, & started again, Same Thing.
We have an Electrician in our Shed, he had a look, only to find the Leccie Side was full of dust. So you tell me, a Lathe that new, that well looked after, with so little use, could be full of dust.
The Lad Encased all the Electrics with Aluminium & Silicon.
Problem Solved.
Personally, I was not to impressed with the 300, for all that money.\
Work it out for your self ?????.

Woodturnerjosh
16th February 2016, 08:21 AM
I had a VL200 for 14 years of constant use and never had that problem. There's heaps of professionals that rely on VL300's for their bread and butter as well...maybe you just got a faulty pot...

andrew7
16th February 2016, 09:17 AM
Its actually in the manual I think that if there is a problem with the controller you need to blow it out or clean it.

rtyuiop
17th February 2016, 05:11 PM
Pictures as requested. I guess this is what happens with careful feeding and time to grow!

Before:

http://rtyuiop.net/workshop/IMG_0458-med.jpg

after:

http://rtyuiop.net/workshop/IMG_0461-med.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the input on this question!

Cheers,

Danny

Woodturnerjosh
17th February 2016, 05:37 PM
Very nice!
It looks brand new...want to swap for a 240? ;)

rtyuiop
17th February 2016, 06:58 PM
Nah - it's only been in the house for a few hours, but I think I've already gotten attached to it ;)

Jeff Leslie
18th February 2016, 06:54 PM
I have a long bed VL300, a VL150 (for travelling to events like the PI Turnaround) plus a Stubby 750 with the long bed. I also recently sold my VL 175 which I found to be a very pleasant lathe. But nowhere in the same street as the heavier VL 300. I think I used my VL175 my main lathe for 3 or 4 years. When I bought the VL175, I was attracted by the swivel head, thinking hollowing boxes etc would be easier. Better for the back etc etc.....

My turning has come a long way since I bought the VL175. I cannot recall the last time I used the swivel head. I just got better.

Against all of the above, I do yearn for a VL240. Tool slut that I am. My best advice for any potential VL buyer is to get the extension bed. You will not regret it. I add that the swing on the Stubby is most useful as I turn some largish platters. And that is the main failing on a swivel head lathe - no tail stock support.

Just my opinions. If anyone decides to buy any Vicmarc lathe, they will not be disappointed.