PDA

View Full Version : Jointer for less than $1000

Dazm
10th December 2015, 11:02 PM
I picked up a secondhand thicknesser from the guy who sold me my table saw, it's an older 12" Carbatec and I got it for $100, it was blunt, the belt had totally disintegrated and I really didn't hold out much hope for it. I pulled it apart, realized that the blades were double sided and brand new on the other side so I flipped them, bought a new belt, cleaned it up and tonight I ran an old crappy jarrah floor board through it and had something of a religious experience :o in one end went a old floor board, out the other end came this beautiful piece of timber with a gorgeous pinky/redish hue :D:B I was in love.

I managed to get it somewhat square with the help of the table saw but I realise that a jointer is what I need. I have access to a lot more of these boards and I really want to make use of them.

I had planned on buying a Hammer jointer/thicknesser but this will not be happening for at least a year or 2 as I simply don;t have that kind of cash at the moment.

I was hoping someone could recommend a jointer from Hare & Forbes or Carbatec (under $1000) that would do the job in the meantime. I'm mainly building boxes and working with small stock (floorboard size) so I don't need anything huge and it's going to be used in conjunction with the 12" thicknesser so there's not point in having a super pricey unit. It's only got to do me 18 to 24 months until I can upgrade to the Hammer.

Any recommendations will be gratefully accepted.

snowyskiesau
10th December 2015, 11:27 PM
I recently bought a Leda 152mm jointer and I'm very happy with it. List price is around $750.

Dazm
11th December 2015, 12:23 AM
What about these?

https://www.carbatec.com.au/machinery-and-accessories/jointers/jointers/jointer-6-benchtop-single-carton

https://www.carbatec.com.au/machinery-and-accessories/jointers/jointers/jointer-6-inch-short-bed-2-boxes

Strangely the little bench top model has a 1.5hp motor while the other only has a 1.0hp