PDA

View Full Version : making longbows

suzuiq
11th December 2015, 07:09 PM
hi all been a while since I posted anything, I have been practicing archery for years and I want to have a go at making a longbow. any advice on what type of wood i should use and where I can buy it?

mark david
11th December 2015, 07:23 PM
Hi I used to do archery but not with a traditional bow.
Timbers of choice would be either English yew and hickory.
I suspect the hickory might be difficult to find and the English yew nigh on impossible,whatever you used would need to be very straight grain and rived so as to eliminate any grain run-out.

One site I visited recommends Sheoak which is easy to source.

suzuiq
11th December 2015, 08:33 PM
Hi I used to do archery but not with a traditional bow.
Timbers of choice would be either English yew and hickory.
I suspect the hickory might be difficult to find and the English yew nigh on impossible,whatever you used would need to be very straight grain and rived so as to eliminate any grain run-out.

One site I visited recommends Sheoak which is easy to source.

what do you mean when you say rived?
whear would I get she oak

John.G
11th December 2015, 09:02 PM
Jitta is a favourite amoungst the serious bowhunters I know, or laminations of Jitta and Silver Ash to reduce the weight.

mark david
11th December 2015, 10:05 PM
Riving is simply splitting the wood from the end grain down the length of the timber,the split follows the wood fibres ensuring no run out of the grain which can cause the bow limbs to snap when drawn.

I an not sure where you would source the Sheoak in the Eastern states but someone else on here will know.

orraloon
11th December 2015, 10:56 PM
I have made a few bows in the past. Both solid wood and fiberglass laminated. Yew is the holy grail for bowyers and I have made a few with it. Wood came from Canada and the USof A. Very expensive and not something for a first time go. Some homegrown woods like spotted gum, ironbark and and a few of the wattles. Mulberry is good. Osage is the favourite in America and some can sometimes be found here. Mulberry is a related species. For a selfbow the grain needs to run the whole length of the stave and the back surface of the bow has to be a single growth ring layer.
Failing that as near as then backed with another material. Backing can make usable bows out of less than perfect wood like in the 2 bows below. one is black locust and the black and white job is hickory. Both backed in silk.
www.ozbow.net • View forum - Traditional Tackle (http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=99eabb470de90a61888e178c2aad76af)
I used to be a member on that archery forum and It would be a better place to get answers to your questions. There are some traditional archery online stores in America do kits but long bits of wood are a killer postage wise.
Anyhow good luck with the quest. You are in for a lot of research and a big learning curve.
Regards
John

fletty
12th December 2015, 07:06 AM
Once you have decided on a species or more probably several species to try, l would recommend you contact Greg Ward (on this forum) from Boutique Timbers in Northern NSW. Greg, and everyone else at Boutique, take the time to provide real service to their customers and may be able to select suitable straight grained pieces for you?
fletty

Greg Ward
13th December 2015, 04:52 PM
Thanks Fletty.
We have northern silver ash available, it is supposedly OK for long bows but I have no personal experience with any bowmakers myself
Greg

suzuiq
13th December 2015, 06:26 PM
I have some tasy oak I am going to have a go with I will put some merbue in the riser just for looks

chrisb691
13th December 2015, 07:55 PM
Where do you shoot suzuig?

suzuiq
13th December 2015, 08:58 PM
AIM archery club in Moorabbin

chrisb691
14th December 2015, 08:44 AM
AIM archery club in Moorabbin

I'm with MAC. :)

orraloon
14th December 2015, 01:04 PM
I have some tasy oak I am going to have a go with I will put some merbue in the riser just for looks

Tasmanian oak would not be high on my list but you may have a chance if you keep it a bit longer.
Just because we call wood oak or ash it is nothing like it's European or Americian namesakes.
Regards
John

suzuiq
14th December 2015, 04:22 PM
maybe we will compete one day ?

NCArcher
14th December 2015, 08:50 PM
I agree with John, Tassy Oak will work if you keep the poundage down but is not the best option.
Do you have or can you get a copy of the Traditional Bowyers Bible. The first volume should provide enough info to get you started. The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 1: Jim Hamm: 9781585740857: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/The-Traditional-Bowyers-Bible-Volume/dp/1585740853)
There are a number of Australian timbers that work well. Spotted gum would probably be the easiest to get.
It is tempting to have a go with a bit of scrap wood like Tas Oak but there is a bit of effort involved and if the bow doesn't shoot well or breaks after all your hard work it may be discouraging. It may be better to use a more suitable timber and get some reward for your effort.
I'm a recurver and I used to shoot with Twin City in Morwell till i moved to NSW. I've shot at AIM and at MAC.

chrisb691
15th December 2015, 11:19 AM
I thought that this longbow making weekend (http://narrativeyoga.com.au/traditional-wooden-longbow-making/) might be of interest. I am booked in for the February course in Melbourne.

suzuiq
15th December 2015, 05:05 PM
I have that book, my bow WILL be low poundage I am only little ;)

Bushmiller
15th December 2015, 08:46 PM
I thought that this longbow making weekend (http://narrativeyoga.com.au/traditional-wooden-longbow-making/) might be of interest. I am booked in for the February course in Melbourne.

I would just love to do a course like that, but logistics and distance are going to prevent that. I hope we can expect a full, detailed report. Please.

Regards
Paul

suzuiq
16th December 2015, 06:53 PM
now that looks interesting?????????

chrisb691
16th December 2015, 07:09 PM
Further to my post, it is the weekend of 20/21 February in Kew (somewhere).

suzuiq
16th December 2015, 08:10 PM
I had a look at the web site how do you book?

chrisb691
16th December 2015, 08:23 PM
I had a look at the web site how do you book?

"EARLY BIRD SPECIAL: BOOK YOUR PLACE BEFORE THE 24TH DEC 2015 FOR THE 2016 EVENTS AND RECEIVE A 10% DISCOUNT. PLEASE TRANSFER $265.50 INTO THE FOLLOWING ACCOUNT TO SECURE THE DISCOUNTED PLACE.

FULL PRICE = $295. (Lars Richter, BSB 242 200, Account no. 431159268 and send an e-mail with the receipt/ copy of your completed transfer to [email protected] Thank you. Please state the WORKSHOP NUMBER next to your name in the subject line.)

* Workshop #10 = 20th/21st February in Melbourne"