PDA

View Full Version : Suitable Wood

Ron
1st March 2001, 10:12 PM
O.K I've tried the small piece of Jarrah from Graeme's off-cut box(beeeeeeuatiful) and the Native Cherry etc obtained from Simon(which all turned like soft butter compared to the industrial pine I practiced on).
Now, after putting the word out at work about
telling me before anyone dumps any timber
from their gardens, I am starting to receive
small pieces of Maple, Silver Birch and gums of varying breeds.
The Maple turned to ##### when turned and haven't yet tried any of the others.
Any thoughts on the Birch or gums? (bearing in mind that my main reason for turning at this stage is the production of large numbers of those develish little lace bobbins which always seem to wait until the last touch of the tool to explode in your face).
The majority of the gums have died in the ground(does this mean they are ready for use, or are they harbouring hidden problems for an amateur turner?).
Any input would be welcomed.
Regards,

Ron

tonks
2nd March 2001, 03:06 AM
As an addendum to Ron's questions I would like to know a bit about the turning properties of Lilac as well, if it is not to much trouble (and any pitfalls http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif )

regards,

Allen

ubeaut
2nd March 2001, 07:40 AM
G'day Ron

If you are serious about turning lace bobbins I suggest that you try with all your might to attend the Wagga Wagga Turnabout to be held March 9th,10th &11th.

John Atkinson (Australias foremost exponent of lace bobbin turning) will be there ready and willing to impart knowlege, help and a little of his sagely wisdom.

Turnabout is a gathering of woodturners from never turned to brilliant turners who get together for a weekend of woodturning. It is fun, educational, rewarding a great way to meet like minded people and by far the best introduction you will get to woodturning.

The weekend runs fron midday friday until midday Sunday and costs $110 which includes your accommodation, all meals and all the fun you can handle. Find the money somehow and get there at all costs, I guarantee you won't regret it. Besides me and Beaut will be there and so will . What more could you ask for.

You can attend for the whole weekend or parts of it, however you must book in advance, you can't just roll up on the day.

For full details contact Paul Zalitis:
Phone: 02 6931 1187 [email protected]

[This message has been edited by (edited 04 March 2001).]