PDA

View Full Version : Emergency

Just George
6th August 2005, 02:15 PM
If you were injured and not able to communicate or if you were killed and had no identification on you apart from your mobile phone, how would emergency teams(ie, police, ambulance or the fire dep) know who to call? After 9/11 I.C.E. started which stands for In Case of Emergency. In your mobile phone have 3 contacts listed as "ICE 1 and their name", "ICE 2 and their name" and "ICE 3 and their name". This way the emergency crew can see who to contach rather than be faced with a HEAP of names as most of us have in the address book of our phones. Please spread this and reply to it to keep it at the top of the list for a while so as many people as possible can see it before it gets lost in all of the posts.

Shane Watson
6th August 2005, 02:42 PM
Fair enough, but theres no need to post this in every forum! :mad: And annouy everyone with it... Needless to say, i've deleted all but this thread.

Oh, and there are other ways to keep a thread at the top of the list.....

Wongo
6th August 2005, 02:45 PM
If I was dead I would want them to call my mobile phone company to disconnect my account immediately. Why pay more than I needed to. :p

I can guarantee you that people are more likely to have their wallets then their mobile phone.

Ok wouldn’t it be better to have a list of phone numbers together with your identity in your wallet.

ryanarcher
6th August 2005, 03:11 PM
as one who responds to emergency calls daily, i can assure you that if you are dying, the last thing i would be doing is scrolling though your cell phone.
-Ryan

may be a good idea if you misplace your phone though. ;)

DanP
6th August 2005, 03:19 PM
This is from another one of those pass it on to 100 people type emails that no one seems to be able to delete without passing on. ISP's are making a fortune out of it. Can't say as I have ever relied on info in a phone for a persons ID. Could be anyones phone.

journeyman Mick
6th August 2005, 04:22 PM
I think it would be far more useful to do as I have: On my arm I have tatooed my name and "if found please return to......." Also on my back I have tattoed "if found face down, please pick up and place back into bar stool" :D I've also hears that microchipping is very effective at returning lost pets.... sorry, loved ones ;)

Mick

outback
6th August 2005, 06:59 PM
as one who responds to emergency calls daily, i can assure you that if you are dying, the last thing i would be doing is scrolling though your cell phone.
-Ryan

may be a good idea if you misplace your phone though. ;)

Ditto.

Wallets are far more gooder I reckon.

zenwood
6th August 2005, 07:04 PM
A full discussion of this proposal is here (http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/icephone.asp), for those who are interested. Seeing as I don't even have a mobile phone, I don't know what I'm doing here.

MajorPanic
6th August 2005, 07:59 PM
If you were injured and not able to communicate or if you were killed and had no identification on you apart from your mobile phone, how would emergency teams(ie, police, ambulance or the fire dep) know who to call? After 9/11 I.C.E. started which stands for In Case of Emergency. In your mobile phone have 3 contacts listed as "ICE 1 and their name", "ICE 2 and their name" and "ICE 3 and their name". This way the emergency crew can see who to contach rather than be faced with a HEAP of names as most of us have in the address book of our phones. Please spread this and reply to it to keep it at the top of the list for a while so as many people as possible can see it before it gets lost in all of the posts.
When I was a postie on the road every day I purposely didn't carry ID so the EMS had to work hard to find the N.O.K or contact phone #'s. :rolleyes:

I figured I'm dead, my NOK don't know I'm dead so there's no hurry. The cops can also get off their bums & do some work for a change! :D

kiwigeo
6th August 2005, 11:02 PM
This is from another one of those pass it on to 100 people type emails that no one seems to be able to delete without passing on. ISP's are making a fortune out of it. Can't say as I have ever relied on info in a phone for a persons ID. Could be anyones phone.
Sounds suspiciously like one of the ploys used by spammers to harvest email addresses.....get a chain mail going which people blindly forward along with headers full lovely active email addresses. Eventually the mail falls into the hands of a spammer and bang all the addresses get bunged on a CD and sold off to other spammers.

boban
6th August 2005, 11:33 PM
How on earth would this have helped anyone in the buildings on 9/11. They were finding small body parts not people with mobile phones.

Further, how will your next of kin help you? For mine I know that all they would do is panic or go into shock.

A stupid idea me thinks.

Oh and I forgot to add, if you scroll through my phone you'll find "Home", "work", "Dad" etc. If you cant work out who to call then your not too bright. Most phones would be the same I guess.

When I found a guys phone he left outside of court, I scrolled through and called his mum. Not hard.

flea1607
7th August 2005, 12:33 AM
Sounds suspiciously like one of the ploys used by spammers to harvest email addresses.....get a chain mail going which people blindly forward along with headers full lovely active email addresses. Eventually the mail falls into the hands of a spammer and bang all the addresses get bunged on a CD and sold off to other spammers.
Telstra sent it out :)

Gumby
7th August 2005, 12:42 AM
Useful post :rolleyes: Spamers will love it.

speedy
7th August 2005, 10:43 PM
I'm a paramedic in Qld, and I've not heard of this through official chanels, although several friends have sent it to me. I doult if any emergency service people will bother with it here in Oz.

echnidna
7th August 2005, 10:48 PM
wouldnt the obvious thing to do is check the drivers lisence?

Groggy
7th August 2005, 11:48 PM
Further, how will your next of kin help you? For mine I know that all they would do is panic or go into shock.
... A point missed here is that the Next Of Kin and To Be Notified person may be different. A To Be Notified or ICE number would be handy, especially for Embassy staffers called to handle the remains. Embassies have a hell of a time in emergencies because travellers do not advise them of their plans or contact details.

Note the number is handy, whether it is on the phone, in your wallet or tattoed on your toe doesn't really matter. (Although a toe tattoo is more likely to survive and be noticed).

Stuart
8th August 2005, 12:21 PM
I'm a paramedic in Qld, and I've not heard of this through official chanels, although several friends have sent it to me. I doult if any emergency service people will bother with it here in Oz.
Sounds suspiciously like another of those email chain letter crap things (forward to ALL your friends). Didn't think we'd have to get them on the BB. At least in email I have autofilters to remove this sort of trash.

Shane Watson
8th August 2005, 01:55 PM
Ironically......I gets a text message on my work mobile phone this morning from TELSTRA advising of this idea..It suggests to look at their website for further info..
ICE link (http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/life/community/ice.htm?tr=2fp)

Stuart
8th August 2005, 05:37 PM
Hasn't Telstra got anything better to do that to throw water onto our flames!

ryanarcher
18th August 2005, 04:26 PM
well, I still think it's a stupid idea, but I guess i was wrong:

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?sectionId=17&id=44067

:o

boban
18th August 2005, 04:48 PM
I know, what about a silicon chip inserted under our skin with all the info you need. With GPS tracking capabilities as well.

Yes big brother

AlexS
18th August 2005, 06:01 PM

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?sectionId=17&id=44067

:o

Just because Telstra thinks it's a good idea doesn't mean it is...quite the contrary, actually.

Boban, you mean you haven't had the chip implanted yet? :confused:

DanP
18th August 2005, 06:07 PM

Me too. At our level it is, although I can see a use for it once you're at the hospital.

Dan

outback
18th August 2005, 07:41 PM
I agre with Mr P, (cos I don't thinks he's that happy to see me, which makes that a gun). we did a job the other night, coulda used the ice thing, had bigger fish to fry.

kiwigeo
19th August 2005, 01:30 AM
Neil should run for Prime Minister..then he could make foilies with persons name on same compulsory for all Australians...bought of course via the Ubeaut forum.

Wongo
19th August 2005, 05:38 AM
We should all tattoo our Ubeaut login name and password on our arm. This way rescue workers can use it to log on to the forum and read all of our funny comments, find out our personal details, call people on our buddy list (and ignore the ones on the ignore list), and maybe our buddies can contact our the family.

What do you think? :cool:

ryanarcher
19th August 2005, 05:31 PM
We should all tattoo our Ubeaut login name and password on our arm. This way rescue workers can use it to log on to the forum and read all of our funny comments, find out our personal details, call people on our buddy list (and ignore the ones on the ignore list), and maybe our buddies can contact our the family.

What do you think? :cool:

:D perfect

doug the slug
19th August 2005, 06:04 PM
So how does this work?

I witness an accident, someone gets knocked off thier bike. i call 000 or 112 on my own mobile ande then pick up the mobile lying beside them on the road and scroll through it looking for ICE

the conversation goes something like this
Hello, i just got your number from a phone i picked up from this nearly dead guy i found in the middle of the road.............(long pregnant pause)
the person on the othre end goes to jelly and isnt really helpful, things arent looking good.

the ambulance arrives and the paramedics take over from the bloke who was administering first aid, who turns to you and says "hey, what are you doing with my mobile phone?"

Looks like a great system to me

Stuart
19th August 2005, 09:44 PM
I LIKE IT.

(A greenie for the first person who can tell me what movie that line comes out of. I'm thinking of one in particular, and yes, it was emphasised deliberately)

TritonJapan
19th August 2005, 11:01 PM
Peter Sellers in "Being there" had "I like to watch"

Not even close I know.

Steve

Groggy
19th August 2005, 11:25 PM
I LIKE IT.

Hmmm....Funny Face?
Dumber and Dumber?
Philadelphia Story?
Long John Silver...?