PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhhh - Blood

DavidG
6th August 2005, 02:43 PM
Turning a thin bowl, finger on outside as steady whilst doing a fine cut and the b.tch exploded. :mad:

One cut left pointer... Ouch.. My first real blood in ??? long on the lathe.

Sorry no photos. Was more worried about putting the bits back in and getting a dressing on top.

Spinning bowl parts can make a nasty series of cuts and tears. :eek:

Ouch........ :( :( :( That's me stopped for the weekend.

kiwigeo
6th August 2005, 11:05 PM
Turning a thin bowl, finger on outside as steady whilst doing a fine cut and the b.tch exploded. :mad:

Sorry no photos. Was more worried about putting the bits back in and getting a dressing on top.

If you can still handle a wine glass then the weekends not a total loss.

mkemila
23rd October 2005, 02:39 PM

Hopefully it doesn't keep you out of the shop for long

DavidG
23rd October 2005, 03:15 PM
mkemila
That was rather an old post.
I was grounded for a couple of days only. :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd October 2005, 04:49 PM
You're right about spinning bowl parts just the same.

Not long ago my "apprentice" was working on the mini-lathe while I was playing on my big boy. 'Twas his first effort at parting off so I'd taken him through it step by step, telling him to make a doublecut so the parting chisel wouldn't jam, etc. and watched over his shoulder for a while to ensure he was doing it right before going back to my own toy.

A few minutes later, an OUCH! and I hear the lathe motor poling. Naturally I looked... and, of course, in that moment of inattention was promptly bitten by what I was turning. Worse, in reacting, I spun around and clouted my head on the shelf over my lathe. :o

The young 'un had thought things were going really well and had forced the tool into a single cut to speed things up... causing the tool to jam. I must say, at least he did it in spectacular style. :D The handle was sticking almost upright between the timber & toolrest; it had jammed his finger down on to the toolrest making a nasty gash and the handle had clipped him across the ear on it's follow through. Saved me from doing it!

SWMBO was not impressed with two sheepish li'l boys tramping sawdust into her domain, both with goose eggs on their noggins and holding bloody fingers...

AlexS
23rd October 2005, 07:34 PM
The family that turns together learns together ;)

Auld Bassoon
23rd October 2005, 08:07 PM
Sorry to hear that mate - but gotta laughhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th October 2005, 12:24 AM
The young 'un learned his lesson, but somehow I keep doing the same damned fool things. :o