PDA

View Full Version : Painting Ceilings

spartan
6th August 2005, 03:31 PM
Hi,

I'm in the middle of painting and am noticing that the results i'm getting are average at best.

When all is dry, I can see slight variations from the roller etc.

I've made sure that I've worked away from windows etc,

I';ve got some of that dulux never miss paint and a reasonable ceiling roller....

Anyone got anytips? Would artifical light work?

thanks

Gumby
6th August 2005, 04:32 PM
Maybe it's the modern paints which aren't what they used to be. I have exactly the same problem after trying a couple of differetn ceiling whites. In some light, there are variations. I know it's there and it isn't obvious but I didnt have that problem 20 years ago in the last house.

kiwigeo
6th August 2005, 10:55 PM
You might try checking nappe length of roller....I had same problem as you and found I was using wrong sort of roller.

I think most ceilings are going to show a few blemishes when light catches it at the right angle.

If its there but its not obvious then I dont see much of a problem. Youre probably the only person that knows about it. If your friends sit and stare at the ceiling when they come to visit then maybe its time to get some new friends.

Cheers Martin

Kev Y.
6th August 2005, 11:24 PM
If you are really worried, instead of using straight white, You could get th epaint store to add a bit of black or blue tint to the paint.

This helps with coverage.

Also if you apply two (or more) coats, I have found that by changing the direction of the coats you can sometimes eliminate those variations in coverage/colour.

By changing direction I mean, If the first coat is applied down the length of the room, the second coat would be applied across the width of the room.

kiwigeo
7th August 2005, 01:18 AM
Also if you apply two (or more) coats, I have found that by changing the direction of the coats you can sometimes eliminate those variations in coverage/colour.

By changing direction I mean, If the first coat is applied down the length of the room, the second coat would be applied across the width of the room.
Good point there Brudda. Last time I dind some ceilings I found that I was getting lines where paint was coming off ends of the roller. I went back straightaway with once Id got most of the paint off the roller and and did a light pass to lift the lines off...seemed to work ok.

Harry72
7th August 2005, 04:12 AM
Kiwigeo exactly, its the amount of pressure and paint amount you're applying with the roller.

Strungout
7th August 2005, 07:19 AM
I had the same problem and the bloke at the paint shop sold me some additive (for accrylic paint) which did help.

I cant remember the stuff,but if you want I will have a look later.

I know Bunnings sell it.

Speaking of paint,I have been using Bristol paint which I think is very good,but I have noticed that after you open them and,leave them for a few months (about 8) all the cans go rusty around the rim.

I asked Bristol about it and they really didn't want to know about it.They sad the cans were made to the Aus Standard.

I have some Dulux (and other brands) cans that are about 4 years old and have had no problem.

What I do now is buy some plastic bottles or buckets/lids and put the remaining paint in them.

Greg

Simomatra
7th August 2005, 10:51 AM
Had the house painted internally by the professionals recently and it would seem they suffer from the same problems.

Can only be seen with different light situations, as Gumby says, never happened 20 years ago.
Sam

Gumby
7th August 2005, 10:52 AM
Speaking of paint,I have been using Bristol paint which I think is very good, Greg

I used bristol once many years ago. Never again. It was like painting with cup-a-soup ! :rolleyes:

Maybe it's better now but I have never been back and always buy top quality paint like Dulux.

Ian007
7th August 2005, 11:15 AM
Hi,

I'm in the middle of painting and am noticing that the results i'm getting are average at best.

When all is dry, I can see slight variations from the roller etc.

thanks

Who cares it only your House :p :p

Sorry I couldnt help myself just joking :)

Kev Y.
7th August 2005, 07:09 PM
Could be that the Britol stuff is more water than paint. I have had the same thing appen to other brands.

Speaking of paint,I have been using Bristol paint which I think is very good,but I have noticed that after you open them and,leave them for a few months (about 8) all the cans go rusty around the rim.

I asked Bristol about it and they really didn't want to know about it.They sad the cans were made to the Aus Standard.

I have some Dulux (and other brands) cans that are about 4 years old and have had no problem.

What I do now is buy some plastic bottles or buckets/lids and put the remaining paint in them.
Greg
Dont you have trouble getting the brush into the neck of the bottle
:confused: :p

journeyman Mick
7th August 2005, 07:52 PM
...............If your friends sit and stare at the ceiling when they come to visit then maybe its time to get some new friends............

Or alternatively you need to learn the art of converation,ply them with alcohol or have a good stereo.TV/DVD player set up. ;) :p :D

Mick

Trav
8th August 2005, 01:50 PM
Probably a dumb point, but make sure you are using flat paint. If you have that nevermiss stuff, it will certainly be flat.

I painted my whole house last year and I didn't have any dramas. I used Hayme's paints- a bit more expensive but worth every cent. It has great coverage and in some rooms I only needed one coat. Most will need two though.

The really think paints (like the one coat ceiling paints) seem to lead to probs more than the normal ceiling paints.

Also make sure you use good quality roller covers. Like rotacota or something. The bunnings, 500 for $1 roller covers leave these little bits of roller fluff on the wall that is bloody hard to fix.

Also try a roller with a shorter nap. On normal plasterboard, the shorter the nap, the better the finish but you have to reload more often. Longer nap = crappier finish, but quicker (and heavier).

Good luck

Trav