PDA

View Full Version : No point waiting for a rainy day

Gabriel
20th December 2015, 07:23 PM
Recently I came to the conclusion that whilst I love going through the wood piles looking for 'just the right bit' and staring at all the projects 'I could do with that beautiful piece' there comes a time where I should just use some nice looking stuff, get something done and enjoy a finished project.

This mostly applies to quite a few pen blanks I have that I love looking through, but haven't gotten round to turning. Looking on eBay some people spend a LONG TIME squaring up their blanks, rounding over corners etc and I have to say they look bloody nice, but I'd be scared to put them in the lathe and risk destroying them. So I'm sure they would sit on my shelf collecting dust 'for just the right time'.

Time to bite the bullet. Here are a couple of little projects that aren't anything WOW, but they serve a purpose, and will look quite nice whilst doing that.

Gidgee Coffee Tamper -

The folks 1970's coffee machine bit the dust and they went all out with a new one. "can you make something up so we can press the coffee into the grouphead"

A bit of research online and the end needed to be 53mm, but other than that the world was my oyster. I have a bunch of Gidgee limb timber. Perfect opportunity as I know it will be well used, and being a hard timber, should wear well.

Finished in uBeaut foodsafe oil (a lot thicker than other food grade oils I have used, I like it)

Boree Pen -

I think over the next few weeks (a little time off over Christmas) I will turn a few more pens using some of the blanks I have accumulated as I'm always buying/finding more and there isn't any point stockpiling more than I will use....

Although it will be a gift, there isn't a recipient in mind yet, so it will sit on the shelf (inside instead of in the shed/woodpile) collecting dust as a finished product for a little while.

Finished in CA

York Gum Burl Skew -

Recently I decided to start turning my own handles for some of my chisels. I want them to be something nice to look at/hold as although I'm generally going to be the only one to see/use them, I like having something nice to look at whilst I'm working away. I have a couple more that I'm wanting to make - just trying to decide on the timber to use. I have some African Blackwood which looks stunning, or maybe some mulga. Depends on what happens on the day I start turning them I guess.

Its a 30mm P&N skew. I thought that whilst a burl may be a little fragile for a chisel handle, given its a skew it SHOULDN'T get too much knocking around, so I hope it will last.

Finished in unboiled linseed oil

I also thought I'd throw this post together to encourage others (mostly the newer members/inexperienced turners) to not be shy in putting their works up. I'm certainly no master, and my items I'm turning aren't gallery pieces, but I do love the learning experience and would love to see more people showing their projects (or even attempts).....

any C&C more than welcome

Cheers

Gab

smiife
20th December 2015, 08:12 PM
Hi gab,
Hey, pretty flash handle on the skew mate!
Anyone would love the pen as a gift,
Also a good job on the coffee tamper,,,,,,, well done:2tsup:

DaveTTC
20th December 2015, 08:54 PM
Mice range of stuff there. Hope yiu bring sone of this kind of stuff to show and tell

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Gabriel
20th December 2015, 08:59 PM
Mice range of stuff there. Hope yiu bring sone of this kind of stuff to show and tell

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

More inclined to bring some of the 'dust collecting timber' to swap/give away and find some other stuff to replace it

BobL
20th December 2015, 09:27 PM
Recently I came to the conclusion that whilst I love going through the wood piles looking for 'just the right bit' and staring at all the projects 'I could do with that beautiful piece' there comes a time where I should just use some nice looking stuff, get something done and enjoy a finished project.

This mostly applies to quite a few pen blanks I have that I love looking through, but haven't gotten round to turning. Looking on eBay some people spend a LONG TIME squaring up their blanks, rounding over corners etc and I have to say they look bloody nice, but I'd be scared to put them in the lathe and risk destroying them. So I'm sure they would sit on my shelf collecting dust 'for just the right time'.

Time to bite the bullet. Here are a couple of little projects that aren't anything WOW, but they serve a purpose, and will look quite nice whilst doing that.

WOW enough for me!

Good point on the not waiting around with the timber though.
I have a driveway full, stuff under the house, two sea containers, plus dozens of stacks of slabs down at the tree loppers yard. Must start doing something with them soon.

Simplicity
20th December 2015, 09:31 PM
Nice work Gab
Love the coffee pushy thing
Can't remember the prober name
And 2tsup for encouraging others

Christos
22nd December 2015, 12:20 PM
I can certainly related to having species of wood that are just accumulating and no real projects for this stockpile. I have also started to sort through my stockpile with the intention of lessening that pile. I like the variety of items in this post.

.....I also thought I'd throw this post together to encourage others (mostly the newer members/inexperienced turners) to not be shy in putting their works up. I'm certainly no master, and my items I'm turning aren't gallery pieces, but I do love the learning experience and would love to see more people showing their projects (or even attempts)..........

That's good encouragement for people to post their pieces. It opens up discussions on what could be tried on the next piece.

bendover1
23rd December 2015, 01:01 AM
Love the coffee tamper, I can see myself doing something like that, never thought of doing one all out of wood before.

Mobyturns
23rd December 2015, 06:46 AM
Gab, all the pieces look fine to me, very well finished - great work. Please post more of your spindle turning. :2tsup:

Gabriel
23rd December 2015, 06:49 AM
Love the coffee tamper, I can see myself doing something like that, never thought of doing one all out of wood before.

I'll let you know how it holds up after some use, maybe there is a reason they aren't generally made out of all timber....
Maybe next time I could try some resin casted bottom (lucky it's going to family)

hughie
23rd December 2015, 06:50 AM
So true, we can spend or waste depending on your point of view a lot of time looking for the that 'piece' when in truth most if not all will do for something. The beauty part is up to us to 'create it'

Faulko
23rd December 2015, 07:35 AM
Great post. Great work.

Bluegum
23rd December 2015, 09:47 PM
Awesome work Gab. Love the coffe tamper. :2tsup: