PDA

View Full Version : between centre chucking

sikm
29th December 2015, 12:21 PM
I want to turn small pieces of wood between centres. Say 2CM square stock. Ideally I'd like one that I could make myself. Any suggestions would be welcome.

China
29th December 2015, 01:46 PM
You don't normally use a chuck for between center work you use a drive center at the headstock and a live center at the tail stock

sikm
29th December 2015, 01:54 PM
Thanks China, I do know that. However I've yet to find a drive center that will hold wood of this size.

China
29th December 2015, 01:58 PM
You need to allow extra length ( waste ) and part off to the required length

sikm
29th December 2015, 02:04 PM
I'm turning items that could very well end up being 1CM in diameter. I'm not inclined to turn those down from a 5CM (to fit my drive stock) square length of wood with all the wastage that entails. I have done this before with a drill chuck at the drive end but no longer have that.

China
29th December 2015, 02:25 PM
I suggest you have a look at Robert Sorby stebcentre they are available down to 3/8 9mm diameter

sikm
29th December 2015, 02:30 PM
Thanks but way too expensive.

China
29th December 2015, 03:26 PM
Less expensive version https://www.carbatec.com.au/woodturning/lathes-and-accessories/centres/steb-centre-2mt-drive

China
29th December 2015, 03:34 PM
Even less expensive Woodfast Machinery Co. (Aust.) Pty. Ltd. - (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_8)

KBs PensNmore
29th December 2015, 03:45 PM
What you really need is revolving chuck, a drill chuck that rotates on it's own centre, failing that, a steady rest, working from the tailstock to the headstock, if you don't have one, lookup string steady, in you tube, or google for plans, there should be something there. Saw one demonstrated at our Club, the demonstrator was turning about 3 mm or less diameter and 300 mm long.
Kryn

nalmo
29th December 2015, 05:20 PM
A dead centre is probably your cheapest option but you have to get the tail stock pressure right - too much and you can split or cause the piece to bow, too little and it will stop turning when you apply pressure with a tool.
I use it for skew practice - you never get a bad catch, instead the piece just stops while the dead centre can still spin.

Mobyturns
29th December 2015, 10:43 PM
I want to turn small pieces of wood between centres. Say 2CM square stock. Ideally I'd like one that I could make myself. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I turn a lot of small spindle work between centers, small spindle items, spin top shafts, pen blanks etc. A lot of it is turned between the points of a small 4 prong drive center and a small custom live center without the prongs of the 4 prong drive even engaged. I do the same for my Celtic knot pen blanks to rough them down to a cylinder to fit the Vermec ER32 collet chuck. McJing have a 10 mm 4 prong drive for $20.

issatree
30th December 2015, 12:15 AM
Hi sikm,
I have 2 much easier ways than the others have.
Take the Corners of your wood, & make it so that you can ram it up the Head Stock Hole ( No. 2 MT )& just bring up the Tail Centre.
I do it all the time, works a treat.

2nd. way, is to find a No.2 MT Drill, & with the angle grinder, remove the Drill part, then you may have to heat the end that has been cut as it maybe to hard to Turn in your Lathe. In other words you may have to Anneal the steel. A couple of $$ at a market somewhere, for a Drill.
To Turn Steel in your Lathe is nothing, quite easy, using 1000Revs+ -, what ever suits you.
Your Tools wood HSS & the New Steel will be Carbon Steel, no contest.

They make a great Drive Dog, slips a bit now & again, but never comes out of the Lathe, like those Prong things can.
You will be surprised how easy it is.

Your Tail Stock, wood most likely have a Ring & Cone or Outer Ring with a Pointy Piece in the Centre.
So give your new piece a bit of a whack, with a piece of wood, just to secure it in the Head & just Turn it the same as the T/S End.
Thatsmy2senceworth.

brendan stemp
31st December 2015, 05:05 PM
I like Issatree first suggestion. This video shows how I used this technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1sFjukASBw