PDA

View Full Version : Light Duties

Old-Biker-UK
5th January 2016, 04:17 AM
One day I shall offer a thread on 'Just jobs' ie. the jobs you get when people find out you have more than one screwdriver and know which end of a hammer to hold.
They line up at your door with 'Can you just make one of these for me?' or 'Could you have a look at this?' or 'Any chance you could fix this?', jobs that can take from 5 minutes to a week.....
Some months back I was asked by a close family member if I would make one of those dodecahedron lamp shades, I took one look and said "No Way, Im too old, don't have the right equipment, life's too short" and any other excuse I could think of but to no avail, I was finally emotionally blackmailed into at least giving it a go.
Google being my friend I found two methods -
1/ Cut all the angles on all the individual pieces and glue up in a jig.
2/ cut & glue up the pentagons then cut the dihedral angles.
I opted for the second method, ripped down some softwood to 1/2" square (12mm for our more up-to-date readers), cut the 36deg each end on the mitre saw, made up a simple jig and glued up 14 pentagons (only needed 12 but by sod's law at least one would be scrap).
Next was the dihedral angle. I set the Coronet tilting table at 116.56deg (my Wixey angle thingy finally came in useful), made a sledge from MDF and cut the angles, not qite as easy as it sounds as the pentagons had a nasty habit of falling apart under the stress of the circular saw. Eventually got them all cut after several re-gluings. Then it was a fairly simple matter of glueing them all together after a trial assembly with gaffer tape.
A little wood filler, rub down, 2 coats of undercoat, a Perspex top to take the light fitting & it was done - ready to wrap up & put under the tree for Christmas Day.
Happily the recipient was well pleased.

No - I'm not taking orders

Mark

AlexS
5th January 2016, 07:49 AM
Nice job, but you left out the glass:D

I think you chose the better method. It's similar to what I've used to make dodecahedronal boxes. I found the hardest part was making an accurate jig to hold the sides on the TS.

Yo've made a nice piece there, glad the client is happy.

Old-Biker-UK
5th January 2016, 08:25 AM
I had the same problem Alex - as it was a one-off I didn't take as much trouble with the jigs as I should.
Maybe next time:no:

artme
5th January 2016, 10:27 AM
Nice one OBUK!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I'll take a dozen!!:D:p

Christos
5th January 2016, 06:25 PM
I really like this piece and the story behind it makes me feel so warm and fuzzy. :q

At least I am not the only one that get sucker into making something. :U