PDA

View Full Version : Straight edge or spirt level to set jointer tables co planar ?

roundnbrown
6th January 2016, 12:48 AM
Just about to acquire a JPT260 combination machine and wondering if a decent aluminium sprit level is straight enough to check the tables. Otherwise it's an H&F proper engineers straight edge which will spend most of its life idle.

Nubsnstubs
6th January 2016, 06:04 AM
Use a squeeze clamp, and some string making sure both tables and knives are at zero. If one or the other is off some, adjust to make it even. When done, toss the string, use the clamp for other projects. Total cost, about 1 American dollar for the string, and you should already have at least one clamp.............. Jerry (in Tucson)

orraloon
6th January 2016, 11:56 AM
The string would do if you have nothing else that is straight. I should imagine a decent level should be reasonably straight. I used the alloy fence face from my table saw to set up my old jointer. I figured it was the straightest thing I had. A couple of winding sticks to check for twist also. You could also use a string to first check your chosen straight edge.
Regards
John

Christos
8th January 2016, 06:56 PM
If you already have a spirit level then yes use that as long as you are confident that this is straight. If you are to purchase one from a hardware store check a few against each other to ensure that you are not picking up a twisty one.

When I needed one just for general use I found two that were not very good, I would not call them banana shaped just not straight. :toobad:

I have also used one to check my Jointer tables.