PDA

View Full Version : Another lidded box

powderpost
8th January 2016, 09:16 PM
After a slow start, this is the first job for the year. The blank was glued up late last year but then the silly season reared it's ugly head. I have been playing around with small segmented lidded boxes, each one having smaller segments. This one has eighteen segments to each ring. I have some glued up with twenty four segments. Each one required a new technique and a bit more challenging. I have found that the smaller the segments take longer to dry properly, up to two weeks, depending on the species used. This little box has ebony inserts to take the thread. It measures 40mm diameter and 55mm high. Timbers are jarrah, black bean and silver ash. I find that these small jobs do not need much cleaning up after. :D C and C welcome.

Jim

Acco
8th January 2016, 09:46 PM
Nice one Jim :2tsup:

Are you willing to part with it for the right price? Send me a PM with a price if you want to move it along.

A Duke
8th January 2016, 10:16 PM
Hi,
Very nice, even though at first glance it reminded me of a hand grenade.
Regards

Mobyturns
9th January 2016, 06:08 AM
Jim, now you really are moving further into the dark side! :D Glue, segmented AND small turnings. We'll have to start a new nick name - Darth Conversus. :rolleyes:

The black bean with the grain accents looks good in this one - the force is strong! I'm looking forward to seeing the latest you mentioned the other day. The ginger jar profile really suits the segmentation.

artme
9th January 2016, 07:09 AM
Some fine work there PP!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

powderpost
9th January 2016, 10:58 PM
Nice one Jim :2tsup:

Are you willing to part with it for the right price? Send me a PM with a price if you want to move it along.

PM sent.

Jim