PDA

View Full Version : Tiwang Fir anyone heard of it?

Dengue
10th January 2016, 04:58 PM
Hello, I was looking through a stack of timber and there was a board labelled Tiwang Fir.

I can't find any reference to it oline. Mind you, it could simply be phonetically spelt. It appeared to be a very light soft timber.

Does anyone know anything about this timber - uses, appearance, workability, softness, area grown?

Dengue
10th January 2016, 06:13 PM
Found a reference to Taiwan Fir timber on Wikipedia otherwise known as a Cunningham Cypress tree which is valued in China for its scented properties, and used for making coffins and in the construction of temples.

Ran one face through the jointer and my wife came out of the house wanting to know what that scent was. Smelt like mild incense burning.

Will post a photo of the dressed face

Dengue
10th January 2016, 06:57 PM
Even the neighbour later commented on the scented smell.

Now the question is what sort of box to make out of it, to capitalise on the smell and the beautiful grain.

I am open tosuggestions and ideas from the Forumites please

Sawdust Maker
10th January 2016, 07:53 PM
blanket box

aldav
10th January 2016, 09:53 PM
I suspect that this is the timber that was used to make the pallet that my parallel jaw clamps came on. First came across it over 35 years ago and made a few rough boxes out of it (thought they were pretty good at the time). Very fine, tight grain and looks good whether flat or quarter sawn. Finishes beautifully. Might have to order some more clamps! :rolleyes:

:2tsup: for the blanket box.

Cheers,
David