PDA

View Full Version : New turner after some advice

Bodgia
12th January 2016, 03:59 PM
Hi everyone,

I've always been keen to give turning a go but just never got around to it but last week my curiosity got the better of me and I went to Carbatec and bought a Woodfast M305 and a five piece Hamlet tool set as well as a Nova G3 chuck. As with most tool related things I've discovered that turning is a very slippery slope and I am well and truly hooked.

Over time I want to increase my tool inventory so that I can try different things and I am after some advice on a decent brand of gouges. I'm not after a list of which specific type of gouge I should get (bowl gouge, captive ring tool etc), but rather a good brand of tool.

I've looked on the Timberbits website and like the look of the P&N tools, but there's also Robert Sorby and any number of other brands out there.

Any advice on which brands to have a look at and which to stay clear of?

Cheers,

Steve

Enfield Guy
12th January 2016, 04:26 PM
P & N are Aussie made and I think good value for money.

artful bodger
12th January 2016, 05:42 PM
^^ Agree^^

Bodgia
13th January 2016, 12:37 AM
Thanks guys. Aussie made sounds good to me

issatree
13th January 2016, 01:24 AM
Hi Steve,
Definitely, P&N, but just purchase the Blade, & learn to make your own Handles. Alum. Chair tube make good Ferules.
Do you have the White Aluminium Oxide Sharpening Wheels, say 60Grit & 120Grit, or CBN Wheels same Grits.
There are some reasonably cheap Jigs so as to help to sharpen your Tools, or you can have a go at making your own Jig.
Incandescent lighting is better than Flouro. I use 2 120W Flood Lights, & 1 60W on one of those Double Arms.
Not a good idea to put the Lathe in front of a Window as the light falls in the wrong spot.
Make yourself a Wooden Ducboard with Slats, so the Shavings fall through to the floor, to stand on rather than stand on Cement or a Mat or some Carpet.
After the D/B, then measure to the Centre Height of Your Lathe, & it should an Inch above your Elbow.

And away you go, Steve.

Nubsnstubs
13th January 2016, 01:31 AM
I might sound a little biased here,but, Thompson Tools are pretty good. Unfortunately, they are made in the US and it sounds like you guys would like to support your country first. I understand completely. Please, I'm not making this a political thing, just an observation, which I like.

Forum Moderater, what I've written below sounds like a commercial. It wasn't meant to be that way. If you find it offensive, please let me know with a suggestion on how to get this video posted to your site because it does show wood turning, and how to overcome obstacles.

Now, Bodgia, when you get to the tenon removing stage of your turning adventure, I invented a tool just for that. If you want to see it, and any other member, go to You Tube, and look for Chas Thornhill, "Finishing a 20" natural edge Pecan Bowl." The video is 37-38 minutes long, but the last 17 are dedicated to my invention, called a Tail Stock Steady. It finally made it's world debut Monday, Jan., 4, 2016. Any contact information you need is in the credits. Unfortunately, this is made in the US. hehehe .............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Bodgia
13th January 2016, 02:01 PM
Hi ISSATREE, thanks for that. I have a Tormek and a bunch of whetstones and diamond plates so I should be OK for sharpening. I'm definitely keen to turn some handles. Good advice on the light situation. I actually set up just outside the workshop this morning, mainly so that I didn't have to cleanup all the shavings on the floor and I found the natural light pretty good.

Regards,

Steve

TongueTied
13th January 2016, 03:47 PM
I might sound a little biased here,but, Thompson Tools are pretty good. Unfortunately, they are made in the US and it sounds like you guys would like to support your country first. I understand completely. Please, I'm not making this a political thing, just an observation, which I like.

Forum Moderater, what I've written below sounds like a commercial. It wasn't meant to be that way. If you find it offensive, please let me know with a suggestion on how to get this video posted to your site because it does show wood turning, and how to overcome obstacles.

Now, Bodgia, when you get to the tenon removing stage of your turning adventure, I invented a tool just for that. If you want to see it, and any other member, go to You Tube, and look for Chas Thornhill, "Finishing a 20" natural edge Pecan Bowl." The video is 37-38 minutes long, but the last 17 are dedicated to my invention, called a Tail Stock Steady. It finally made it's world debut Monday, Jan., 4, 2016. Any contact information you need is in the credits. Unfortunately, this is made in the US. hehehe .............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Hi Jerry,
Have you thought about adding a retractable live centre to the Tail Stock Steady? Something that you could extend and use to position the bowl. Then you could retract the live centre back into the Tail Stock Steady, knowing that the bowl would be centred. Just a thought :rolleyes:

joe greiner
13th January 2016, 06:43 PM
Hi Jerry,
Have you thought about adding a retractable live centre to the Tail Stock Steady? Something that you could extend and use to position the bowl. Then you could retract the live centre back into the Tail Stock Steady, knowing that the bowl would be centred. Just a thought :rolleyes:

Interesting apparatus, and superior to other methods especially for NE bowls.

Ted:
A conventional live center with removable center point and hollow MT could provide the guts. Just add a more precise shape of knockout bar.

Cheers,
Joe

Nubsnstubs
14th January 2016, 02:36 AM
Hey Guys, I'm going to start a thread on this. Look for it with pictures, and some history about what you are mentioning....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Luke Maddux
14th January 2016, 07:36 AM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Hamlet. You are already on a great path by starting out with a set of their tools. Good on ya for not buying the El Cheapo tool set (I'm guilty).

At the end of the day, I think the most important thing to look for is M2 High Speed Steel. Beyond that, you're really just splitting hairs as far as brand. Hamlet, Sorby, and Taylor, all of which are readily available, are great tools.

plantagenon
18th January 2016, 01:28 PM
You bought a good lathe in the Woodfast. I have had mine for 7 years and still running well. You didn't say what you are going to turn, however, I only use the Woodchuck Pro which is an all rounder and use the R2 and R4 (square) inserts for turning my stuff. There are other inserts. I don't do bowls so I can't comment on them although I do a lot of wooden wheels now for toys and models. For attachments for your lathe have a look at McJing Tools website. They are in Sydney. All their stuff is made in China (as is nearly everything now) and is not bad quality for the price. I have bought a lathe drill chuck and pen blank vice from them for my Woodfast. You may need the attachment for screwing them on but they will ask for the thread type.

Most important thing to begin with is very good quality eye and lung protection. A good mask will save your eyes from flying timber and a good quality Dust Collector or face mask will save your lungs. The dust from some of the timber types (dark timbers in particular) is poisonous and in the long term can cause lung problems or cancer. If you are not worried about the budget have a look at the Trend Pro mask (combined eye protection and dust filter).

Lessons are good for the finer points although I started off teaching myself from articles and videos and still haven't found the time for structured lessons although I did receive some good help and advice from Forum members.

arose62
18th January 2016, 02:11 PM
P+N, just purchase the blade, make your own handles. I visit Bunnings plumbing section for my ferrules - they have some cool brass adaptors which have a big end and a small end. These make the smaller blades look a bit more professionally mounted IMHO.

artful bodger
18th January 2016, 07:18 PM
Don't give up your day job, just yet.

plantagenon
18th January 2016, 07:32 PM
I wish I hadn't given up mine so early. I could have stayed on for another 3 years and retired in April this year. still, I got sick of it and left 3 years ago and have been basically bored sh**less since then - saved only by the shed.

Sawdust Maker
18th January 2016, 07:58 PM
P & N are Aussie made and I think good value for money.

wot he said

I totally agree with the comment on making your own handles
for ferrules check out your local metal merchant - the one over here sells brass tube/pipe and is happy to sell in short lengths eg I bought 300mm lengths of a couple of different sizes then simply cut with hacksaw

I also agree that the Thompson tools are good quality but the dollar as it it makes them quite expensive