PDA

View Full Version : Carcass Build - How to fix it Together !?!!

yvan
13th January 2016, 07:38 AM
I would like to build a mobile workshop cabinet. The plan is:

1. Build 4 frames out of 50mm x 19mm
2. Place the frames at right angle to form a carcass
3. Line the inside of the carcass with plywood on 3 sides
4. Add top & bottom
5. Castors
6. Build drawers

My "problem" is: how to fix the 4 frames together? Would gluing be enough? It not, what fastener would be best? I do not have a brad nailer. So, do i countersink screws and plug them?

My other thought is that the plywood would offer enough rigidity to the box, even if the carcass is only glued together.

All advice will be most gratefully received !

Yvan

P.W.H.
13th January 2016, 08:15 AM
Gluing will be enough, particularly since the ply will act as sheet bracing and tie everything together.
If I was doing something like that and I wanted to add extra strength I'd use my biscuit jointer.
But once the glue has set ... naw, won't need it.

david.elliott
13th January 2016, 11:48 AM
Pocket hole jig and screws with some glue is really368356 fast and easy..Just did this. It's 1500 wide and 600 high...best part is you can keep on going rather that waiting for the glue to dry.
In the US the cabinet guys use pocket hole jigs and 3/4 ply to make their carcasses without frames...

ian
13th January 2016, 03:21 PM
Hi Yvan

this is how I would modify your plan ...

1. cut ply (5mm?) to approximate size -- top, bottom, left and right sides.
2. accurately mark on the ply where the 50 x 19 frame is to go -- pay attention to getting the frame corners square
3. cut the pine frame pieces to size and glue to the ply -- butt joints are OK, but you could also use half-lap joints if you want.
4. use a trimmer or router to trim the ply to the frame.
5. stand the 4 frame pieces on edge and assemble into a box using screws -- add glue if you want to -- you now have a 4 sided box
6. attach the back with glue and screws, and trim flush to the frame -- you now have a drawer carcass held square by it's back
7. build and install drawers
8. add castors

Because the back will keep everything square, you could build the whole carcass out of 17mm veneered particle board (or MDF, or ply) screwed together -- adding solid wood edging to the front faces to dress them up. see Pittwater Pete's wall hanging tool cabinet

I'd also be driving the streets looking for an Ikea or similar book case that's being tossed out as you might score most of the material you need for free.

P.W.H.
13th January 2016, 05:31 PM
Because the back will keep everything square, you could build the whole carcass out of 17mm veneered particle board (or MDF, or ply) screwed together -- adding solid wood edging to the front faces to dress them up.

{nods vigorously} I like to put solid wood edging on to anything mdf or chipboard that's going to take hardware. I've just had too many doors tear out of cabinets even with the 35mm inserted hinges, never mind other fittings. Not stuff I built, but things we acquired as castoffs. Screws tear out, or break out, or work loose ... not immediately maybe, but with continued use. Biscuit jointed and glued on, the solid wood edging seems to want to stay there forever.

Anyway, not going to be a problem for the O.P. since he plans on ply :)