PDA

View Full Version : Removing a toilet..and then putting a new one in

spartan
9th August 2005, 10:16 AM
Hi,

I am in the middle of the tiling the house...and need to rip out a tiolet, whilst I was at it I was going to put a new one in.

I am making a few assumptions....

1. How hard can it be!
2. The toilet is/will be screwed and siliconed to the floor.
3. Its an S Trap - that is 90mm from the wall - so this is the set out?

Has anyone got any advice on doing this properly, I'd also like to know about what to do in the actual trap area where the PVC coupling is.....

Regards

Warren

soundman
9th August 2005, 02:12 PM
If this is your typical toilet pan, with the outlet thru the floor.
undo the 4 screws, knife the silicon and carefully prise the pan off the floor. the pipey bit at the back should just "unplug" from the pan collar. Unless it was installed in antiquity & the pan collar will be melted tar inside an earthenware pipe, in which case its a bugger.
Probably a good idea to plug up the hole with something till later.
insatllation is the reverse of the above. you may want to renew the seal and or the pan collar.
Don't get too keen on the hold down screws you don't want to crack the pan.
cheers

Auld Bassoon
9th August 2005, 09:38 PM
If this is your typical toilet pan, with the outlet thru the floor.
undo the 4 screws, knife the silicon and carefully prise the pan off the floor. the pipey bit at the back should just "unplug" from the pan collar. Unless it was installed in antiquity & the pan collar will be melted tar inside an earthenware pipe, in which case its a bugger.
Probably a good idea to plug up the hole with something till later.
insatllation is the reverse of the above. you may want to renew the seal and or the pan collar.
cheers
Call for the plumber. Urgently!

leeton
9th August 2005, 11:42 PM
cheers
Soundman is spot on...over tighten those screws...and bang...crack the pan...proceed with caution.

Ashore
10th August 2005, 12:05 AM
Make sure you have a new rubber joint to fit the new pan to the old pipework and to fit to the cisten .
Can be a bastard to sourse late sunday afternoon
Only use stainless screws bolts , don't be tempted to use steel
Check new pan and seat will fit to old cisten

Rgds
Russell

Useless infomation for the day

Man who run behind car get exhausted.

boban
10th August 2005, 01:01 AM
Your offset is very short if it is 90mm from the centre of the pipe to the wall. You can buy an offset collar which will give you a further 50mm if you need it. Measure from the wall to the centre of the pipe, that is your offset. Then find a toilet to suit.

Its easier to just buy a set that has a variable offset distance.

Dont bother buying seperate pan and cistern, individually they are about a much as a set.

nt900
10th August 2005, 11:22 AM
Having recently been faced with a similar project, I went with the plumber option.

This is only because I have finally found a reliable plumber. Been a six year journey that. If I have not had found a good plumber by now, I would have done it myself.

But all the discussed issues I am sure would have come up replacing the old bog.