PDA

View Full Version : faulty switch box on lathe

DiRob
17th January 2016, 06:28 AM
Hi all I have a 1018 lathe that has been a real pain. The original lathe was replaced and the latest one has switching problems as well. I purchased this on the advice of a member and it is a piece of overrated crap, it will not run without stop start problems and to get an electrician to have a look at it is almost impossible any suggestions will be accepted gratefully. What is happening is the lathe has surges of power and almost stops I thought it may be the digital speed readout proved to not be the problem. I have replaced the switching on more than three occasions no joy at all. as a foot note this is still under warranty but to speak to the owner doesn't solve the issue just a rant in return. :((:C:?

RoyG
17th January 2016, 09:35 AM
I think some more details regarding exactly which model/brand "1018 Lathe" you are referring to would help forumites to provide some helpful answers.

A quick Google search for "1018 Lathe" reveals quite a few companies in AU that sell a wood lathe with the numbers "1018" as part of the model number (e.g. Carbatec MC1018 (https://www.carbatec.com.au/woodturning/lathes-and-accessories/lathes/mini-lathe-economy-1-c-35kg-84-43-30-cm), Moonah Machinery MC-1018 (http://www.moonahmachinery.com.au/products-page/lathes/wood-lathe-mc-1018/), Ledacraft MC1018 (http://ledamachinery.com.au/index.php/lathes-wood/ledacraft-mc-1018-mini-wood-lathe-detail). In addition to those mainstream AU suppliers, there have been some new MC1018 style lathes being sold by online outlets on Ebay and Gumtree recently. All of those lathes might look the same at first glance (i.e. that they might be re-branded versions of the same item), but a close examination will reveal big differences in the quality of castings, differences in the details of the castings, and differences in the quality of the fit and finish of the lathe's components.

Provided you purchased the lathe from a mainstream Australian supplier, I see no reason why you should not be able to get a satisfactory repair or replacement under warranty. If you purchased the lathe from one of the on-line EBay or Gumtree outlets, then your ability to achieve a satisfactory warranty resolution may be limited.

Regards,

RoyG

malb
17th January 2016, 11:27 AM
Any chance of making a short mobile phone video showing the problem with variable speed at low, medium and high speeds and posting it for a quick look to see what the issue is?
Perchance, does the lathe run well while you have your finger on the start button and stop when you remove it, instead of latching on until you stop it or the power supply is lost? Something like that could be as simple as an incorrectly wired switch or board.
I am in Alexandra and have an electonic/electrical background and could be available to help you if I can get enough info to understand the issue, hence the suggestion of shooting some video rather than trying to explain the issue.

plantagenon
18th January 2016, 01:02 PM
Hopefully it will not be the green coloured 1018 lathe which was made in China and was sold under various names. I bought one as my first lathe and kept it for 2 weeks before on selling it as a boat anchor. I had problems with the switch and couldn't get a replacement. It would switch on and then cut out continually. It was cheaper to sell than to try and find another part that could be adapted as a switch. It was not an expensive lathe to begin with so in my case I got what I paid for. I now have a Woodfast midi that has been reliable for over 7 years. Parts are easily accessible in Australia through the manufacturer (although I assume it is also made in China)

Mobyturns
21st January 2016, 09:06 AM
as a foot note this is still under warranty but to speak to the owner doesn't solve the issue just a rant in return. :((:C:?

Keep raising his blood pressure - then maybe he will stop selling them! Less grief for all involved then. Consumers have rights - if its not fit for purpose take it up with the office of fair trading in your state - an item for sale in Australia has to be fit for purpose and must last a reasonable period of time. If the switch continually goes faulty it is also a safety hazard and may well be electrically unsafe. A faulty switch is a major problem wrt safety.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

What is a major problem?

A product or good has a major problem when:

it has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about it
it is unsafe
it is significantly different from the sample or description
it doesn’t do what the business said it would, or what you asked for and can’t easily be fixed.