PDA

View Full Version : Another slant on things

orraloon
19th January 2016, 03:22 PM
Hi,
It is not all that often I do dovetails. Twice in the last year so I have never got around to getting skew chisels. Anything that requires reaching into that hard to get at nooks end up being cut with the marking knife. Well on the last project I broke the handle off a marking knife. Hardware store cheap bit of c?@p. Tang was only about 10mm long and no ferrule. That made me decide that a couple of skew chisels were in order.
I was still mulling over the recent ''Making do with old tools'' thread so as usual turn the joint over looking for something to make them from. I had some very abused old chisels that had not been selected for refurbishing in the rust heap so i picked a berg and swearby, both 3/8''. Not pretty but good steel. In the rejects box was a stub of a 1/2'' chisel so I figured I may as well make a more solid marking knife too. One that can stand up to a workout as a chisel when required. Blade is Sheffield but could not make out the name. All that remained to be done a lot of grinding on the wet grinder to establish bevels (eyeballed so don't ask the angle) then flatten the backs on diamond plates then sharpen. Handle on marking knife is mulberry and one of the skews is wattle of some kind. Cant find anything that is a near match of the birch root that Berg uses. Anyhoo sometimes mild hoarding can be usefull.

Regards
John

Sawdust Maker
19th January 2016, 06:17 PM
cool
great re-purposing

IanW
20th January 2016, 08:50 AM
Waytergo John, a man after me own heart!

I reckon you'll be very pleased with yourself when you next have to knock out a set of half-blinds, they make cleaning up that enclosed corner so much quicker, easier, and generally neater.

I've somehow ended up with 3 sets of the darn things. Originally, I bought a pair of LV's own-brand 1/2", which cost little more than flea-market chisels at the time. As they came from the factory, the point-angle was pretty acute, & the steel in them is a bit brittle, so after I broke the points off a couple of times I reduced the angle (no idea what it is, I eyeball mine, too!) & have had less trouble since. They also came with pretty uninspiring handles, but I soon fixed that! :;.

However, as my dovetailing got better & faster, I found myself making more creative patterns, with smaller sockets that the half-inchers wouldn't fit, so I made a pair of 1/4" from some old but good flea-market chisels. That size turns out to be just right for 90% of what I do.

I also made some teeny ones (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f279/pair-mini-skews-183699?highlight=skew+chisels)for cleaning out very small D/Ts. They come in handy for very tight spots, but I still haven't used them for the job I actually made them for. I'm getting a round tuit, just have to finish a couple of other projects, first. :;

Next time I have to chuck something out of my toolbox to make room for something else, it might be the 1/2" pair, they get the least use. Though co-incidentally, I used them just a couple of days ago to clean out some larger than usual sockets, so maybe they can stay...... :U

Cheers,

Sawdust Maker
20th January 2016, 10:45 AM

Next time I have to chuck something out of my toolbox to make room for something else, it might be the 1/2" pair, they get the least use. Though co-incidentally, I used them just a couple of days ago to clean out some larger than usual sockets, so maybe they can stay...... :U

Cheers,

procrastination at its best :2tsup:

IanW
20th January 2016, 07:50 PM
procrastination at its best :2tsup:

Nick, procrastination is what I do best..... :U

Cheers,

aldav
20th January 2016, 08:30 PM
:2tsup: Love your work.
Is that where I'm going wrong? How do I achieve a state of hoarding that is 'mild'?

Cheers,
David

pmcgee
21st January 2016, 05:55 AM
Nick, procrastination is what I do best..... :U
Cheers,
Ahem ... this is my home soil :)
Paul

IanW
21st January 2016, 09:25 AM
Ahem ... this is my home soil :)
Paul

Let's not start a competition, Paul! :U

hiroller
21st January 2016, 11:12 AM
Well, not until tomorrow.
Or maybe next week ...

pmcgee
21st January 2016, 01:08 PM
:sing: "Anything you can not do, I can not do longer.
I can not do anything longer than you."
"No you can't"
"Yes I can, yes I can" :sing:

:)

orraloon
21st January 2016, 05:42 PM
:2tsup: Love your work.
Is that where I'm going wrong? How do I achieve a state of hoarding that is 'mild'?

Cheers,
David

It's mild if you can still see some bits of floor!:D

Luke Maddux
21st January 2016, 11:26 PM
Nice work!

I was recently in the market for some. I opted for a pair of commercial skews (Lie Nielsen brand. Thumbs up), but mostly because I don't really trust myself at the grinder. It's good to see someone stepping up to the plate! They're a niche tool, but when you've gotta fill that niche they're invaluable.