PDA

View Full Version : laminating large timber blocks togeather?

MeTaBo MaN
9th August 2005, 06:35 PM
Sorry about these stupid questions:D

I need to glue some large blocks of Jarrah togeather for a large carving, So generally how should I go about this? Do the glued surfaces have to be dead flat? Do I need to drill holes for wooden pegs to hold the two peices togeather, like they do in furniture making? Or do you just glue and clamp and hope for the best?And what is the best glue to use?

Thanks for your patience

echnidna
9th August 2005, 07:47 PM
The blocks need to be flat on the joining surfaces, otherwise there may be small voids which will detract from your carvings. I wouldn't use dowels or tenons for that reason.
There are a number of glues suitable for jarrah.
Resorcinal seems the best one to me as its waterproof and doesnt creep.
I expect other forum members will add their comments.

RETIRED
9th August 2005, 08:47 PM
What Bob said.

MeTaBo MaN
9th August 2005, 10:44 PM
Thanks echnidna (member.php?u=1292)

You have been a wealth of information mate!

Wongo
9th August 2005, 11:46 PM
What are you carving? Jarrah is not exactly easy to carve uno.

MeTaBo MaN
10th August 2005, 08:54 AM
What are you carving? Jarrah is not exactly easy to carve uno.
I'm carving a life size Wedgetailed eagle, But carving Jarra isin't that much of a problem, It's butter compared to redgum. The biggest problem for me would be the joinary work,and getting the large 2"x12"x40" jarrah boards for the wings. Not to mention the weight! :D

Pat
10th August 2005, 11:35 AM
Wongo, I don't think Metabo Man is concerned with how hard a wood is - he'll just crank up the power to get it done! Metabo mate, have you tried carving Pink or Grey Ironbark with the Arbourtech? The quickest way to blunt the blinking tool! Good Luck with your eagle and make sure you put some photos on the BB.

MeTaBo MaN
10th August 2005, 01:38 PM
Pat's right most of it will be done with Arbortech's and die grinders press drill with fosner bits, the only thing I will hand carve is the eyes and talons the more detailed stuff.

Yep Pat I have tryed pink ironbark with the Arbbie, you can almost see sparks flying off the tools edge as you trying to work it :eek: But of course every naibour has a big lump of it they want you to turn into a Kangaroo or something! :mad:

Pat
10th August 2005, 11:17 PM
With the Harder Australian hardwoods, I was advised by the noble members of the BB, to go back to a slower method - Hand chisels. And what do you know, It blinkin' works like a charm! with the use of Rasps for stock removal, rifflers and chisels for finer work. I now have this Pfeil 10mm chisel that takes the finest shavings off a Pink Ironbark sign that I am working on. Admittedly it is alot more time consuming, but I am only doing this for fun and as gifts to mates.

See my thread re carving Ironbark for some more humourous advice! :D
Carving Ironbark (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=9562)

MeTaBo MaN
11th August 2005, 09:27 AM
Kutzall extreme burrs would probably make short work off irongum as long as it's dry.:) Fit those burrs to a metabo die grinder and watch the wood dust fly :eek:
http://www.woodcarvingstore.com/RotaryToolAccessories/ImagesKutzall/extremeflamecloseup.jpg