PDA

View Full Version : Hooks for holding schoolbags.

artful bodger
22nd January 2016, 06:21 PM
This job was for 70 wall mounted hooks/hangers to hang school bags from. Not sure where the school is but it must be quite a small one if there are only 70 students.
Anyway they still look like door handles to me and are about as much fun to make however the wolf must be kept away from the door.
Tas Oak 62mm largest dia, 45mm high.
I guess it's not surprising how repetitive things get when there is an order of 70 of the same thing. Just to mark out and bandsaw 70 65mm dia blanks once the timber has been machined takes a fair while. Then to first drill a hole in each one for the screw chuck to screw into and then countersink each hole to avoid splitting when mounted on to the chuck. There's 140 drills on the press.
Then when they are turned the hole needs to be re-drilled to the right size to accept a 6mm internal dia threaded rod and once again countersunk to suit the insert. That's 280 drills on the press.
Making them is a love/hate relationship. Love getting paid/ hate the monotony.
I do use a simple pencil gauge to keep uniformity as close as possible. Once the OD is right then it takes 2 caliper measurements, the rest is by look.
Regretting not raising the height of the lathe before this job. Gotta do that before the next session.
One highlight of the job was that the last lot of turnings this client ordered they complained that the surface finish of the timber was too fine and they had problems putting the final finish on so could this lot be a bit rougher?
Only had to sand each bit once with 120 grit paper....yee har!

Sawdust Maker
22nd January 2016, 07:05 PM
Regretting not raising the height of the lathe before this job. Gotta do that before the next session.
One highlight of the job was that the last lot of turnings this client ordered they complained that the surface finish of the timber was too fine and they had problems putting the final finish on so could this lot be a bit rougher?

good job
I like your commitment as I get bored doing 5 similar pens

Help your back - raise the lathe!

why 120 grit - did you run out of 80?

artful bodger
22nd January 2016, 07:16 PM
No SM. Usually start with 120 unless it is a particularly objectionable type of wood.

Christos
25th January 2016, 08:47 AM
.....One highlight of the job was that the last lot of turnings this client ordered they complained that the surface finish of the timber was too fine and they had problems putting the final finish on so could this lot be a bit rougher?

That's really strange to hear. Makes me wonder what type of finish they were using.