PDA

View Full Version : It can't just be bush builders..... Can it?

Dean0
24th January 2016, 01:05 AM
I have done plenty in green. But results have never been that good. It's always been around the farm. Weatherboarded for the shed. Cross beams with wire to shore them up later etc. decking planks on the shed, great in cypress pine but you will loose a .22if you drop it.

The weatherboards worked very well and contracted into water tight structure but did cup a little. Took rehammering the next year to come up snug. The decking planks really didn't work so well with the shrinkage. Solid yes. But unexpected movement from shrinkage. We were not expecting so much.

Built all all the weather sheds from green timber and wire. Also the one over the caravan on the back block. We used iron arms there so no major issues.

It it was all good Aussie building and I see where the yanks could make tree length housing and cabins but it seems easier to use home milled (at least somewhat seasoned timber)

i cant ant fault our green timber building as a rule. The screws sank easily and deep but had to be resunk.
we built in green as that was what the mill put out. Previously it was chainsaw by eye.

Building green has has given us a 12x6m shed. Floor. Decking around. Shooting rails etc. can't really fault it for the cost of fuel and many hours labour. All said we are still in front after the purchase of the mill.