PDA

View Full Version : Wall clock - how to allow hanging?

rtyuiop
25th January 2016, 05:56 PM
Hi folks,

Just finishing up my first wall clock (a skeleton clock insert in a ring of red gum burl), and I'm wondering what the best way is to allow hanging.

Anyone have any thoughts? Will a simple drilled hole going into the back 10mm or so do the trick, straight or at an angle? Or am I better off finding some hardware? I have a few bits and pieces from setting up picture frames for hanging, but a hole would let the clock sit flat on the wall, and seems nice and easy!

Cheers,

Danny

Acco
25th January 2016, 06:26 PM
I use a brass washer the has a keyhole slot cut into it, think I got to them from Carrols.

Pick of washer on one of my clocks

And of another with same washer hanging

rtyuiop
25th January 2016, 07:18 PM
Thanks Acco - looks good! Is the washer recessed into the clock at all, or does the little protrusion not really show up? Sure looks pretty flat on the wall from your picture.

Acco
25th January 2016, 07:35 PM
No, just nailed straight onto the surface with I think from memory either a 16mm or 20mm hole under the washer

q9
25th January 2016, 07:55 PM
I used a keyhole router bit for doing mine.

Christos
27th January 2016, 02:36 PM
The clocks that I turned in the past I have done an undercut on the back.

turnerted
29th January 2016, 02:55 PM
You can buy things called sawtooth hanger brackets on eBay which will do the job.
Ted

rtyuiop
29th January 2016, 03:07 PM
I ended up relying on a bit of an undercut, with a small hole drilled at an angle as a second option. Happy with the clock - simple shape, but very pretty if I do say so myself!

rtyuiop
13th February 2016, 01:46 PM
As it turns out, I was ordering some more clock bits from the good folks at Let's Make Time and grabbed some of these at the same time:

Let's Make Time - Quartz Saw tooth Hanger (http://www.letsmaketime.com.au/shop/item/quartz-saw-tooth-hanger)

Added one to that last clock as another more flexible mounting option (please ignore the mismatched screws, I didn't have anything better around):