PDA

View Full Version : Wooden speed boats

sinjin1111
10th August 2005, 10:25 AM
Hi guys, does anyone know if a guy by the name of Nelson Zimmer has a web site.
I have done a few searchs but can't find anything. He has designed a couple of Mahogony speed boats similar to a hackercraft of Chris craft and i'm trying to find his site to look for his plans he sells.
Sinjin

TK1
12th August 2005, 10:12 PM
Hi,

This guy in Melbourne has reproduced some wooden boat plans (GarWood, ChrisCraft, Riva, etc) and has recently added the Zimmer 22 foot inboard to his plans available:

http://classicwoodenboatplans.com/

(scroll right down, the Palm Beach 22). He does his plans in CAD and they seem pretty good - detail level varies depending on how much original info he has available.

www.woodenboatstore.com also has a few of his plans. He doesn't seem that prolific a builder/designer (info I have is that he was a naval architect, who turned his hand to small yachts and motorboats later in life) compered to others but his designs are very nice.

I tried to find out a bit baout him when I was looking at the Palm Beach but like oyu couldn't find a lot. I'd contact the Wooden Boat Store or perhaps the the Centre for Wooden Boats (ww.cwb.org) in the US as they've put me in contact with owners etc in the past.

Good luck.

Regards,
Darren

broomeboy
10th November 2005, 09:57 PM
Nice boat as I said!

But nothing beats my baby!

The original all Americian Lake boats of the fifties!

The 17ft Riviera.

Have plans, if ya want them?

bitingmidge
10th November 2005, 10:03 PM
It's an old thread, but I was away, and broomeboy woke it up!

Plans for some Zimmer boats are available at www.woodenboatstore.com

cheers,
P:D

broomeboy
10th November 2005, 11:18 PM
Couldn't find them to post them, BUT try this site plenty of freebie plans! Yes Free....NO COPYRIGHT ISSUES

Doesn't cost a cent.

http://www.svensons.com/

And its legal!:p

TK1
11th November 2005, 08:41 AM
Hi Broomeboy,

Any chance of posting pics of your Riviera? Is it a restored Chris-Craft or did you make it form the Glen-L plans?

Thinking of (eventually) building something like this myself - be interested in your thoughts/experience.

Regards,
Darren (hoping to graduate to full-size boats one day!)

Auld Bassoon
11th November 2005, 08:33 PM
Hi Broomeboy!

Had a look at Svenson's site - didn't like the diatribe very muchhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon13.gif

Cheers!

RETIRED
11th November 2005, 09:04 PM
http://www.svensons.com/boat/

broomeboy
17th November 2005, 12:28 PM
Just finished cutting the templates for the new baby.....:)

Spent 2 mths researching if there was any other plans available.....:mad: in metric.....:mad:

Anyways, downloaded the plans from the svenson's site, printed them out on a A3 printer, took them them to the brother in-law (Draftsman), he converted them.........:)

So pic's should be up by the middle of December

bitingmidge
17th November 2005, 12:35 PM
Don't keep us in suspense!!

Which one did you go for??

P

:confused:

broomeboy
17th November 2005, 01:51 PM
The original information come from the American 'Boat Builder Mag' and the article is written by the designer himself.

William.D.Jackson

It was entered into a boat design contest, came in 6th place!

After speaking to my old boss 'past life time' he informed me that, the Riviera 17ft was better designed than the Chris Craft version.

Look at a couple of different versions of the boat's basic design elements, came to the conclusion that the original design was the best for me.

We have made some small changes to the original design:

Increased Overall Lenght: 20ft

Increased Beam: 8inchs

Original Plans Drawn in 1961

So in one sense its a original Riviera design, in another its a design based on the original draws with some good Australian input.:D

Black and White

ibeanonchippy
18th January 2009, 01:39 PM
hey i am waiting for plans for a glen l tornado.just noticed that someone else mentioned glen li am a bit excited i tell you.shall keep you all posted with pics and things