PDA

View Full Version : I Bought A Roughing Gouge!!

Paul39
26th January 2016, 01:48 PM
I do mostly bowls and my spindles have been tool handles for my home made, and bought tools with undersized handles. I have been using a 5/8 inch bowl gouge or my bedan looking tool made from a hunk of 3/8 inch square scrap, or more recently an unhandled curved bench chisel.

Early this month I was in my favorite den of iniquity, Asheville Hardware, and found a barely used 1 1/4 inch Narex roughing gouge with a handle the size of a kids baseball bat. $25. I snatched it up and took it to the check out. The manager said he had some others he had not priced, did I want to look?

Roughing Gouge HSS | NAREX BYSTŘICE s.r.o. (http://www.narextools.cz/en/roughing-gouge-hss-8194)

There was a Mike Mahoney 5/8 in bowl gouge by Henry Taylor, $45; a 3/8 in bowl gouge, Diamic by Henry Taylor, $25; a Robert Sorby spindle gouge, $25; and an unhandled 3/4 in shaft with two flats that tapered at the end to a cup shaped carbide bit that faced at a 45 degree angle, left or right depending on which flat was on the tool rest, $25. All in like new condition, I bought them all.

Any money I make selling turnings I keep in my "crazy money" stash so that when a deal comes up I can jump on it.

I put a big, fat, 24 inch long heavy handle on the carbide tipped one and did some end grain hollowing in a red oak vase. No center hole, it just drilled right in. I did find that if I did not sweep side to side to keep the hole open it would grab when the taper caught in the hole. I survived a couple of catches and was able to re-position the vase in the chuck with no damage.

I can't find a listing on line or in any catalog of the carbide tipped one.

I gave the roughing gouge a workout today on a piece of chestnut looking timber that I split in quarters out of a log. Big roughing gouges are NICE!!

Sorry no photos as my big photo computer has a sick C drive and will not boot. This accursed laptop is running Ubuntu Linux and does not have familiar photo software.

hughie
31st January 2016, 06:38 PM
Hah :U I bought one awhile back, first time in years. Still dont use it much, I guess old habits die hard.

Paul39
1st February 2016, 04:18 AM
Hah :U I bought one awhile back, first time in years. Still dont use it much, I guess old habits die hard.

As I mentioned above, I managed for 8 years without. The first time I roughed down a triangular piece of quartered gnarly log 6 - 7 inches to the side, I saw how useful a big roughing gouge could be.

artme
1st February 2016, 01:17 PM
I gave the roughing gouge a workout today on a piece of chestnut looking timber that I split in quarters out of a log. Big roughing gouges are NICE!!

:ohyaaa:

NeilS
1st February 2016, 10:01 PM
There was a Mike Mahoney 5/8 in bowl gouge by Henry Taylor, $45; a 3/8 in bowl gouge, Diamic by Henry Taylor, $25; a Robert Sorby spindle gouge, $25; and an unhandled 3/4 in shaft with two flats that tapered at the end to a cup shaped carbide bit that faced at a 45 degree angle, left or right depending on which flat was on the tool rest, $25. All in like new condition, I bought them all.

Smart move, Paul.

I expect you will also be happy with those two HTs.